Extend wireless range or not?

donkey33

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Just moved house and set up my wireless network except a PC that I need it to extend to is too far away. It's really not that far (20m) but the signal does pass through 5+ walls so the signal doesn't reach the wireless adapter in that room. Falls about 5m short.

I have the Linksys WRT54G but need it to reach this room. Should I go and buy an extender (http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/21554/) or would my money be better spent buying selling the Linksys and buying a better wireless router which has the range (maybe this http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/20012/)?

I really need it to comfortably reach this other room.

Thanks

Screw wireless....get powerline adapters. I recently moved into a large 3 story farmhouse for about a year.....I tried my collection of wireless gear....nothing would punch through steady enough for my "office" up on the 3rd floor, as I online game a long...those occasional brief bits of lag. Fed up...I picked up several Linksys PLE200 units. Wicked easy to setup...and network performance as rock steady as if I had run CAT6. Wireless problems...kiss my butt, goodbye!

if you have on of the older wrt's (version 4 or lower, iirc), you can flash with 3rd party firmware and increase the signal strength via the web config.

Screw wireless....get powerline adapters. I recently moved into a large 3 story farmhouse for about a year.....I tried my collection of wireless gear....nothing would punch through steady enough for my "office" up on the 3rd floor, as I online game a long...those occasional brief bits of lag. Fed up...I picked up several Linksys PLE200 units. Wicked easy to setup...and network performance as rock steady as if I had run CAT6. Wireless problems...kiss my butt, goodbye!

seriously? no issues? didnt know they worked well.

What I did in this situation was get another WRT54G, install DD-WRT on both of them, and use WDS to expand the wireless coverage. WDS is not exactly the simplest thing to set up, but it does work quite well. If you feel comfortable flashing the firmware on the routers to DD-WRT, then that's the way I would go. If you go this router and can find them, a WRT54GL has more mem and flash than the latest WRT54Gs, so it usually works better with DD-WRT.

Sidenote, but you guys get absolutely screwed on network equipment prices in AU. My wife's at school over in Perth, and it's so much cheaper for me to just buy stuff here in the US and ship it over. If you can find a place in the US that will ship to AU, it will probably save you quite a bit of money, even after shipping.

Thanks. Yeah, prices are steep over here. I'll have to see what I can do. Don't know any reputable US online sellers though.

With this wireless, I haven't got much idea so DD-WRT is unknown to me.

Powerlines? They just go into an electrical outlet and allow internet connection? I know it allows gaming and file sharing but internet connection?

Just somehow need to get access to this distant room. Either an extra 10m wirelessly or some other way.

Wow. The PLE200 is a bit expensive I think compared to setting up a wireless network.

I think I'll stick to trying to extend the range. Just need some help there and what's the best way to do it.

Thanks

Thinking of picking up the WRT300N and seeing how that goes.

It says 4x range on the Linksys website. Question is, 4x what range? Is it 4x the range of say the 54G routers?

Screw the linksys routers. Go pick up a couple Buffalo WHR-g54s-HP routers. Set one up in the gui to be AP only and turn on repeater on both of them. Its really WDS but they call it repeater. You can do that without flashing to DD-WRT if want. If you can't quite get the signal strength you want then flash with DD-WRT and crank the transmit up to 200mW. You'll be golden. Don't know what the cost of those are in AU but in the states they are like $50.

seriously? no issues? didnt know they worked well.

Yes..seriously, and I had my collection of routers..including MIMO and an old wrt with DD-WRT. Just didn't work in the house I'm currently in, I'm only renting here for approx a year since I'm selling my other house..before purchasing in this new beach community, so since I'm renting..not going through the expense of wiring CAT6 throughout this one. So..picked up 3x of these PLE200 units (actually a single PLK200 kit of 2..plus a single PLE200).

For internet and gaming..it's just as good as running ethernet. If you're in a single house with none too close...don't need to worry about security..literally just plug them in..plug in your ethernet..and they work..automatic bridges. If you're in a shared building...and you want security...you run through a quick encryption setup. Since technically if someone in an apartment or condo in the same building...same powergrid, if they had one of these they could ride on yours. Or if a house is really close to yours...same powergrid.

But these things do work..and work well. For those who don't like wireless performance, the occasional burps or brief lags...these are a godsend.

Can someone explaing this DD-WRT to me? I wouldn't have a clue what it is other than it adds features and range maybe?

I don't think I can flash the Linksys router I currently have because it's a version 7 and I think I read only up to version 6 can be flashed.

I might try it if it's not too hard but don't want a brick either.

Can someone explaing this DD-WRT to me? I wouldn't have a clue what it is other than it adds features and range maybe?

I don't think I can flash the Linksys router I currently have because it's a version 7 and I think I read only up to version 6 can be flashed..

You'll find their site stuffed full of information, including features, and what make/model routers are supported.
http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

You can get better stability, and squeeze a little bit of extra range, compared to stock firmware. And add some features such as you see on the site.

I don't think I can flash the Linksys router I currently have because it's a version 7 and I think I read only up to version 6 can be flashed.

I might try it if it's not too hard but don't want a brick either.

You'll have to be careful about the bricking part. Get the right instructions and the right firmware for your model, follow the instructions carefully, and don't panic and do silly things.

v24 RC3 is going to be the version to try for now. It supports the WRT54G v7 and v8, and also includes a "repeater bridge" mode which might help should you decide to get another device in addition (this could be another router; if it doesn't work by itself, you could use the old WRT54G as a repeater bridge, or maybe just as a bridge).

DD-WRT exposes some power output features, and seems to reduce the power output by default (I guess in order to be neighborly). Try raising that to 84 (in Advanced Wireless) if you go this route.

Hmmm, ok. Can someone tell me this though.

I need to get a wireless router for a family member anyway so I need to purchase one regardless. I'm getting the WRT300N which apparently has 4x range.

Now, if I get this and set it up, would it have far more range than the WRT54G? If it does, I'll probably just keep that one and then buy another one. If not, I can still give them that one.

Does the WRT300N actually have more range though or is it all hype?

Also, in regards to DD-WRT, I went to the site but don't know where to find instructions of firmware or even what RC3 is or where to find it.

you'd also have to get N wireless cards for all of the clients that need the larger range

you'd also have to get N wireless cards for all of the clients that need the larger range

Not true...you can use old G and legacy B cards..and still get the vast majority of the increase of range from an *N/MIMO AP. You only need to "match" the N to get the speed increase.

Back