extenal hard drive error

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
accidentally knocked a seagate 4tb slim usb external drive off my desk. I ran chkdsk got read error so I reformatted it the long way for bad sector mapping took 8 hours to format. I ran chkdsk /f /r and after 4 hours chkdsk gave me this message Insufficient Disk Space to fix master file table (MFT) WTF? the disk was totally empty how can I fix this? will diskpart clean and initialize fix this?

Buy a new drive. The goose is cooked.

You MIGHT be able to put in a fridge and get one last chance to copy some data from it.

drive appears to work okay but don't trust it any more. Fortunately I have backup of all files on my den server and am creating fresh copies on new 4tb drive. Am running seagate long test on flakey drive right now. Always keep two copies of all files.... By the way normal chkdsk without parameters say drive has no errors.......

We are glad to hear your data was backed up and is secure. If your SeaTools tests came back with errors, or if you've found defects/issues in the drive and feel that it may be under warranty, you can look into this further by using our Warranty Validation Tool, or getting in touch directly with Seagate Customer Support if there are any further issues.

Back