Export Excel Spreadsheet into SQL Server 2005 Express database

cismajor97

Weaksauce
I'm curious if there is an easy way to export an Excel spreadsheet into an SQL database? I have a project that I'm doing with a client of mine and it would be alot easier if I can organize and sort through this information.

With SQL Server Express, I don't think you get the SSIS importer that makes pulling from Excel, Access, or just about any common data source a breeze.

One alternate suggestion I can think of is to write a DotNet app using Visual Studio 2005 Express (or better). You can query the Excel file with SQL and an ODBC connection, and get your dataset that way. Then you can iterate each row and do an INSERT statement to the destination database as needed. The SQL syntax itself is normally the same, with some subtle differences for data filtering and comparisons.

What I'm trying to do is Import Excel data into SQL Server Express 2005. Just wanted to clarify.

One way for sure is to use the link provided by userjack, my previous post, and some Google-ing. SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is not an option because it does not come with the "Express" edition.

If you don't have do much with business logic, data cleansing, etc., then a more direct way can be found from this link:
http://www.mcse.ms/message2584507.html
Haven't tried it myself, but it's worth a shot.

Im not familiar with the express edition, but the SQL management console has an import wizard, its very powerful.

Back