exporing columns from excel into some kind of form and printing them on seperate page

ok.. i have to take an excel document and sort a column..

now i have to take column "P" for example and sort the rest of the document by that column.. which is a date in the form of mm/dd/yyyy

then.. once the document is sorted by date.. i will add another column.. we will say. "R" and assign a member number to the people based on when they joined (column P)..

i can figure out how to assign a member number, and i probably can figure out how to sort the document by date.. (but it would help if someone told me how)

now is the fun part:
i will have to take several columns and print them into certain sections of a page..
probably in the following format

Member Number
Last Name, First Name
Address
Phone
which would really be something like

Column R
Column A, Column B
Column F
Column E
Column P

we will need to print something like 2000 of these... so can it be done without actually generating the documents? and how?

thanks

scott

Ok, for the sorting, this took me a while to figure out some time ago.
Instead of picking the actual field, like A1 or A2, click on the very first field of data you want to sort by, then drag your selection along all the columns you want to sort. Now when you use the sort up or down, it will sort all columns based on the first column that you selected. Does that make sense?

like this
Code:
BEFORE SELECTING YOUR FIELDS
A1 A2
1   Z
2   Y
3   X

Code:
AFTER SELECTING YOUR FIELDS
A1 A2
1   [COLOR=Gray]Z
2   Y
3   X[/COLOR]
THIS WILL SORT BY COLUMN A1

Code:
AFTER SELECTING YOUR FIELDS
A1 A2
[COLOR=Gray]1[/COLOR]   Z
[COLOR=Gray]2   Y
3   X[/COLOR]
THIS WILL SORT BY COLUMN A2

For printing of the documents, the only thing I can think of is doing a merge. I would use Word for the actual merge, but I think you still have to generate the document before sending it to print.

Hope that helps a bit

yeah.. i figured out all of the sorting stuff easily..

but i need to know how to do the printing..
i even went in and assigned the member numbers and shit

but there has to be a way to print without generating the actual documents.. because i don't really need a 5,000+ page document

damn that's a lot of paper... how many sheets are in those big boxes?

Back