explorer.exe screwing me over

karnick

Limp Gawd
OK heres one that I think might unfortunately stop all you genisues out there...

When I play games or even do stuff in windows, every second for a really short amount of time (more noticable when gaming) the computer skips a bit. I HIGHLY doubt it is a hardware issue because when i kill explorer.exe the problem goes away but working in windows without explorer.exe is a pain in the ass unless your my friend jon but thats another story.. i know you all are problably thinking its the welch/blaster worm, but the funny thing is, explorer.exe's CPU usage is at like, 10, which seems normal, and its not going that high, when i put explorer.exe priority on low the problem seems to fade but i just would like to know how to possibly fix this, any ideas?

Start > Run > (type) compmgmt.msc > Event Viewer > System & Application, Warnings and Errors?

Originally posted by Porphyria
run linux? :D!

having just come from locking your other thread
I find that answer singularly unhelpful
and hypocritical considering you where looking for an XP activation

Originally posted by karnick
OK heres one that I think might unfortunately stop all you genisues out there...

When I play games or even do stuff in windows, every second for a really short amount of time (more noticable when gaming) the computer skips a bit. I HIGHLY doubt it is a hardware issue because when i kill explorer.exe the problem goes away but working in windows without explorer.exe is a pain in the ass unless your my friend jon but thats another story.. i know you all are problably thinking its the welch/blaster worm, but the funny thing is, explorer.exe's CPU usage is at like, 10, which seems normal, and its not going that high, when i put explorer.exe priority on low the problem seems to fade but i just would like to know how to possibly fix this, any ideas?

Well, regardless of people saying you never have to do it with XP(assuming you are using XP(you should have put that btw)) you need to reformat my man.

Originally posted by Ice Czar
Start > Run > (type) compmgmt.msc > Event Viewer > System & Application, Warnings and Errors?

having just come from locking your other thread
I find that answer singularly unhelpful
and hypocritical considering you where looking for an XP activation

Owned!

My best guess (since it appears to not be a service call hangup)
would be that its a driver issue

look for updates, and reload those you do have if none are available, test your memory

but you still might want to trial TaskInfo 2003 to see if you can spot a process thats hanging

thanks i got that running but im not too sure what this is going ot be able to tell me.. any special part of explorer.exe i should be studying in this program to help fix my problem?

more like see what is grabbing cpu cycles or memory when it happens, and keep an I out for blue

green = user initiated cpu usage
red = the kernel initiated
blue = interrupts (IRQs) from a component

I leave that running on my secondary monitor, its set to launch at startup, caught more problem with it than any other ap Ive got
mainly because it is graphic

but normally if that is happening there is an entry in the event log

I think the drivers are a good bet

when the computer is idling i only get red under the graph that says cpu.... i dont get why im getting this annoying stuttering. i replaced the explorer.exe with one from a good comp but no dice

I love you too, Ice.

Also, what version of windows? XP? If so.. I don't know if it's possible, but get a friend that you trust to give you his "explorer.exe", or.. it could be a problem in the registry (unlikely, however).

Try running spybot search & destroy as a last resort.

Do you have your paging file turned off? What version of vid driver you using? What processes are running when all user-initiated programs are running? Are you compltely updated?

Go to your System settings (win+Pause/Break or System in the CP), click the Advanced tab, click the Performance button, and under the window that comes up, click the Advanced tab. Make sure Processor Scheduling and Memory Usage are both set to "Programs." While you're there, if you turned off your PF, go into the advanced Virtual Memory settings and put it back to normal.

I am running Windows XP Pro.. sadly enough i tried all the things you both listed lol

first thing i did was run spybot
had a friend send an explorer.exe
i actually have the problems when i use both ATI and NVIDIA cards
checked paging file which is turned on, managed by windows.

no clue what to do from here

Reformat you stubborn asshole... and next time, don't play tfc while formatting a 200 GB drive... HAHA OWNED!

damn dave i was goin to give you the flame of a lifetime until i noticed it was you

Back