explorer.exe process reaching 200mb

robert422

n00b
This is a very weird problem Im having with my sager laptop. Im running xp pro with plenty of processing and memory power: 3gig, 512mb memory. I have ran spybot, adaware, and mcaffee virus scan and I am totally clean. Not to mention this is a relatively newly installed OS. I have also got pagefile running at 768mb.
My problem is explorer.exe keeps running up to 200mb of memory causing me to have to close the process and reopen it or else I suffer a great performance lost. It took me a while to figure out why it was getting so high, but I figured it out. It seems it only increases when I access my keyboard and mouse. Once it increases it does not go back down. explorer.exe does increase periodically for browsing my harddrive and other misc tasks, but it always shrinks back down when I close my windows. However, whenever explorer.exe increases due to my keyboard and mouse usage, then it does not go down. It slowly increases to 200mb, maybe higher if I allowed.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

Actually, I should have checked the obvious first. Seems faulty software was the problem. apoint software that shipped with the sager seems to effect explorer.exe. Once it was closed and explorer.exe restarted my problem was fixed. It is now staying at a steady 15.8mb usage.
If anyone has a sager and are using apoint software, the software for the mouse and keyboard shortcuts, then either upgrade or remove if you too notice an explorer.exe problem like what I described.

Back