Explorer 92% CPU usage

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, have windows xp home, fresh install about 3 weeks ago, and now all of a sudden im getting this all the time. Explorer 92% CPU usage lasting for a few minutes at a time. Don't understand it. Don't have any spyware or adware. running service pack 1. any ideas?

could be a virus, i would boot into safe mode, delete everything from the %system%\prefetch folder, make sure you are current with virus defs, disconnect the internet connect and run a full virus and spyware scan.

B

one hting you might check.....i've seen this happen alot with corrupted video files that have messed up atributes that explorer tries to read but gets hung up on. if you notice this happens when you're browsing a directory with any fideo files in it in the "details" view, check to see if duration or dimensions are listed in the details columns, and if so get rid of them by right clicking the column and selecting the more option at the bottom. then you can uncheck those column view atribites, and see if the high processor usage goes away. (might need to reboot so explorer loads fresh)

thedude42 said:
one hting you might check.....i've seen this happen alot with corrupted video files that have messed up atributes that explorer tries to read but gets hung up on. if you notice this happens when you're browsing a directory with any fideo files in it in the "details" view, check to see if duration or dimensions are listed in the details columns, and if so get rid of them by right clicking the column and selecting the more option at the bottom. then you can uncheck those column view atribites, and see if the high processor usage goes away. (might need to reboot so explorer loads fresh)

whoa thanks guys. i'll do both just to make sure, but i think this here is hitting it on the nose man. Now that you mention it, it does only happen when im browsing the folder with the video files in it. And one in particular that I recently downloaded and can't seem to delete!! And that's when I started noticing this mess to. Crap, ok, ill go do what you said in a bit, i don't want to take the chance of rebooting right now, because im in the middle of some stuff online. then i'll see if i can delete this file somehow.

yup, exactly what i thought. and get this....
my girl friend wanted me to fix her computer so it would play all the video files i had on on my file server. easy enough, just had to install the codecs to play everything. after i did that, that's what she started having that exact problem. thing is i had that same problem about 2 years ago and learned how to fix it, since you can't just go in and right click the file and delete it, or click on it and hit the delete key either, because it claimes it's in use by another process! you have to actually go in the command prompt and delete it that way.

here's the kicker.... before i installed all the codecs on her machine, those files played correctly using the regular default windows media codecs. i just cut my losses though, the files are never important enough to repair, not that anything i have tried has worked yet.

Back