Experts -> Please give me advice

Saeid

Limp Gawd
Alright i'm new to the whole WiFi router world and was hoping you guys could help me out.

I got a sweet deal (20 bucks) on ebay from JustDeals for a Netgear WGR614, and on the description is said V5, and now when i recieved it, on the back of the router it says V2 :(

What should i do? Keep it or try and get them to send me V5 (but if they agree, they might say that i would have to pay for shipping!) :(

I appreciate any advice.

P.s. The main reason i got the router was so that when i get my Wii, i could connect. But i also wanted a decent wireless router so that when friends come over with their notebooks, or when i get a notebook i could use the WiFi.

If "V2" and "V5" refer to the firmware versions, and I'm guessing they do, you can verify the firmware installed by looking at the setup screen somewhere. You can get a .pdf manual for that router online.

V2 and V5 refer to hardware revisions, not firmware, and this is the danger of buying on eBay. :) You could argue with the seller that the description said V5 and you received a V2 and see if they will honor their original description. It could have been an honest mistake. If not you could fight it through the various buyer protection methodologies at Ebay and see if anything comes from that.

The WGR614 isn't exactly a great router either but that's just been my experience. If you choose to cut your losses look at the Zyxel X-550 for a nicely priced performer.

Alright i'm new to the whole WiFi router world and was hoping you guys could help me out.

I got a sweet deal (20 bucks) on ebay from JustDeals for a Netgear WGR614, and on the description is said V5, and now when i recieved it, on the back of the router it says V2 :(

What should i do? Keep it or try and get them to send me V5 (but if they agree, they might say that i would have to pay for shipping!) :(

I've dealt with them before on a misship and DOA products. Call them up, I found them fairly easy to work with. Just explain that the product you received is NOT the revision specified on ebay, and you either need a refund or the correct product. IT'S THEIR SCREWUP, you shouldn't have to pay for shipping. If they ask, then POLITELY refuse, and explain why (i.e. their mistake, etc). If you don't get satisfaction, then dispute the charge with your Credit Card/paypal/etc.

Back