Expert tech question..Windows help!

pillbub

Weaksauce
Is there anyway to change windows keyboard controls? I am trying to do make it so app's won't close if you push Alt-Esc.

How do you change windows key controls....specifically alt-esc??

alt-esc closes your applications i cant get it to close mine- alt-f4 on the otherhand does
sorry i am not help to your problem

What application and OS are you experiencing this trouble with? Alt+Esc generally toggles between open windows.

It's Wiindows xp and everytime I am half way done with an application the "alt-esc" brings up a different window. Anyone know how disable alt-esc??

It's Wiindows xp and everytime I am half way done with an application the "alt-esc" brings up a different window. Anyone know how disable alt-esc??

Alt-Esc key combination will switch between open applications. This is the way windows is programed. Asking how to avoid this is, in my opinion, like asking how to keep an airplane from lifting off when forward thrust and lift are applied.

If you don't want windows to display another window when clicking on alt-esc, try closing every other application other than the one you are using. I find this to be a very strange question, all in all...how is it that you are inadvertantly invoking this key combination?

mikeblas said:
That's the right way to skin this cat.

Meanwhile, why do you not want ALT+ESC to do its job, pillbub?

Its Everquest 2 spells. I have FD and /yell bound to my mouse but they NEED to be assigned to CTRL or ALT (plus 1-10)... I can't use regular 1-10 because that hotbank won't be static if you have 2 or more hotbanks. The static hotbank will always be Ctrl or Alt plus numbers 1-10 so all of my emergency keys are bound there for quick access.

The problem is everytime I get a huge train I will hit ESC and /yell. (You can't have a mob targeted if you /yell if you do it wont break all the encounters and you will still be locked at combat speed crawling with a train of angry mobs chasing). So you need to hit Esc... then /yell..... to break all engaged encounters. Problem is when I hit Esc FD and yell the operating system see's it as Ctrl+ESC and boots me to desktop when I got 30 mobs chasing me. Isn't very pretty

pillbub said:
Its Everquest 2 spells.

I see. I'm not a gamer, so I'd rather see you read a good book than fix it.

But if fix it you must, you might have trouble getting a keyboard hook to work. It's possible that DirectInput gets keyboard events before they're offered to user-mode hooks. I think it's your only hope, though.

Back