Experian Sold Consumer Data to ID Theft Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
And these are the people that are in control of your credit score. :eek:

An identity theft service that sold Social Security and drivers license numbers — as well as bank account and credit card data on millions of Americans — purchased much of its data from Experian, one of the three major credit bureaus, according to a lengthy investigation by KrebsOnSecurity.

This is great, so there is almost no way for them to not get your info, which is supposed to vet you to loan you money and they dont vet the people they do business with -_- i hope they get the ever living shit sued out of them.

Identity gets stolen.
Your credit gets destroyed as a result.
Experian lowers your credit score.
Your interest rates skyrocket as a result of poor credit scores.

Yeah I can see this happening. Good ol' Corporate States of America at work robbing from the average American once again.

lol, it could have been worse and Experian made every effort to make that possible.

----Martin said he first learned of the ID theft service after hearing from a U.S. Secret Service agent who called and said the law enforcement agency was investigating Experian and had obtained a grand jury subpoena against the company.----

Don't worry folks, the DoJ is on it.:rolleyes:

----Martin said he first learned of the ID theft service after hearing from a U.S. Secret Service agent who called and said the law enforcement agency was investigating Experian and had obtained a grand jury subpoena against the company.----

Don't worry folks, the DoJ is on it.:rolleyes:

Yes in a few years we will hear of a settlement. They will pay a small fee and move on.

Identity gets stolen.
Your credit gets destroyed as a result.
Experian lowers your credit score.
Your interest rates skyrocket as a result of poor credit scores.

Yeah I can see this happening. Good ol' Corporate States of America at work robbing from the average American once again.

This is out fault. No, I'm not joking. We must force changes to the laws that allow the rich to control the president and congress through legal bribes. In case you hadn't noticed, the state and federal governments are no longer controlled by the people. Either we work to fix this or we spend the rest of out lives on our knees.

The lawyers make 500 million dollars and each of use gets a voucher to check our own credit score once for free if we sign up at their web site then answer 20 questions about what car insurance we had 15 years ago and cannot remember to verify our identity then enter a credit card number they claim they will not charge.

This is out fault. No, I'm not joking. We must force changes to the laws that allow the rich to control the president and congress through legal bribes. In case you hadn't noticed, the state and federal governments are no longer controlled by the people. Either we work to fix this or we spend the rest of out lives on our knees.

Going way OT and I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but what might you possibly suggest as a successful course of action, specifically targeting near-term solution? Because we have two solid generations of propaganda, media misinformation and fear mongering to unravel.

Honestly, the vast majority of voters are too stupid/ignorant to understand or too scared to do anything that would affect meaningful change to this failing system.

The only possible realistic near-term action that could hope to cause any reversal of the current death-spiral our country/society is a concerted, organized, armed revolt.

Even then, it would really have to happen at a state level to have any sort of legitimacy.

We would have to have a newly elected governor formally secede and give El Presidente the finger on national television, mobilize state guard/militias to skirmish with National Guard and then show the rest of the country every bit of footage involving a governor's estate/office/etc. being bombed by USAF. Then plaster every single rebellious American corpse created by an American bomb or bullet over every media available, screaming bloody fucking murder, look at the level at which we've failed as a country.

Then... THEN you might drum up enough actual pissed-off support from the rest of the general populace to actually throw out the current federal scumbags, end lobbying, end unlimited campaign contributions and set term limits on ALL public offices.

So... who's going to run for governor?

And did I just inadvertently sum up the plot of any known work of fiction? Maybe a Clancy novel? If not, I think I'm gong to start writing.

o-ARNOLD-SCHWARZENEGGER-facebook.jpg

Does it make a difference?
The government sells our data too!
The only people that don't profit from our personal information is the individual!

Un fucking believable.
Believe it. Experian and the other credit reporting corporations could care less about your personal data or if your identity is stolen. They are in the business of selling your personal data and services to 'protect' your data.
Maybe a few multi-million dollar lawsuits will make it cost beneficial to lock down our data.

All 3 credit agencies are crooked. I use the annual free credit report once a year. No longer can I get my reports online because the questions they ask are wrong. I took a screenshot of each agencies questions, ordered my free annual copy from each agency and then compared the results. Not one of the agencies had questions that matched up to my actual credit report. When I called them about it, they said it was annual credit reports fault, even though the questions website is their own domain! I put in an inquiry about it and their response to it? We sent you a free copy by mail. They completely sidestepped my allegations!! I wish there a way to sue the crap out of these agencies. It's legal strong arming.

Does it make a difference?
The government sells our data too!
The only people that don't profit from our personal information is the individual!

The government isn't out to fuck up our credit scores and ratings like these people are. Not on the individual level anyways.

All 3 credit agencies are crooked. I use the annual free credit report once a year. No longer can I get my reports online because the questions they ask are wrong. I took a screenshot of each agencies questions, ordered my free annual copy from each agency and then compared the results. Not one of the agencies had questions that matched up to my actual credit report. When I called them about it, they said it was annual credit reports fault, even though the questions website is their own domain! I put in an inquiry about it and their response to it? We sent you a free copy by mail. They completely sidestepped my allegations!! I wish there a way to sue the crap out of these agencies. It's legal strong arming.

talk to your bank. They can probably get your scores for you.

They arent fit for purpose.
Given the gravity of what they do, some jail time is in order.

Going way OT and I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but what might you possibly suggest as a successful course of action, specifically targeting near-term solution? Because we have two solid generations of propaganda, media misinformation and fear mongering to unravel.

Honestly, the vast majority of voters are too stupid/ignorant to understand or too scared to do anything that would affect meaningful change to this failing system.

Actually it's a very simple thing to do, the hard part is getting everyone to do it.

First you make a list of every incumbent up for election, then you vote for the other guy regardless of party affiliation or platform, you vote every "Swinging Richard" out of office. This sends a message every one of them would shit their pants over. It also sends a message to the rich bastards trying to buy their own world, and they are not going to be happy that their boy didn't get elected. Say what you want about the rich boys, they are still businessmen at heart and a bad investment leaves a mark.

The only possible realistic near-term action that could hope to cause any reversal of the current death-spiral our country/society is a concerted, organized, armed revolt.

This is not something you should be saying. It is not in your best interests and you would be wise never to say something like this on the internet again.

This government still functions in a format that can be influenced by the voting populace. The problem is getting that populace to vote for what is best for the country and not just for the individual. As it is now, there are lawmakers who are in effect, "buying your vote". They are promising to give you things if you vote them into office. The problem with believing them is that some day, they won't have to buy your vote, keep giving it to them and eventually they won't even need it. Then what will you do.

If you just vote to pick your best choice out of a group of bad choices nothing will change. You vote every bastard out of office and you have effectively set term limits. They don't want term limits, they want their place at the table for life. After you set term limits then you set terms, if you vote for this and that, we let you stay another term, otherwise out the door you go. And in a methodical process we fix what is wrong.

Of course you do have to get people to agree on what needs to be fixed first.

No, Secret Service falls under Department of Treasury jurisdiction.

Azhar, why is it you think the US Secret Service is controlled by the Treasury Department?

talk to your bank. They can probably get your scores for you.

The problem wasn't really getting a copy of my credit report since all 3 agencies will do so once a year by mail for free. I happen to do mine by phone, which is funny, because they asked much less personal questions.

That being said, it's the fact that they are falsifying security questions. They are blatantly trying to trick people into buying their product and not a single soul will take responsibility for how the security questions are chosen.

ravx25, I am trying to get a handle on exactly what you are saying here.
Not one of the agencies had questions that matched up to my actual credit report.

If you are talking about the security questions, each site has their own unique questions. If you go directly to Experion you have to set up an account and part of that account is their security questions, the others have their own that will probably be a different set of questions and you may even use different answers.

If you use a 3rd Party service like www.freecreditreport.com then you will set up an account with them and then they will query all three of the credit tracking sites for you and return the result in a single format. I use them and simply decline their offers of further services. I don't go directly to the three big guys.

Anyone that uses SSNss as a means of identity verification should be shot. It has already been well established that SSNs are not a reliable means for identity verification. In addition, companies that do not do a proper job of verifying identity (such as using SSNs for identity verification) should be required to compensate victims of identity theft for their piss poor identity verification.

Use this link for Experion;
http://www.experian.com/assistance/free-annual-credit-report.html this is the free annual Credit Report and not some other service that they will try and charge you for.

This is the link for Equifax;
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp They will offer to do all three at once, for a charge, but this is the free link.

And Trans Union who looks like the only one that offers what looks to be the free service up front and not try to trick you into a paid service version in it's place.
http://www.transunion.com/

This is actually a great deal as you can get your free credit report and also have your information forwarded to a broad audience of debt collectors, identity thieves, and intelligence Services both foreign and domestic. It's a real bargain.

No man, in truth, get out of debt, then stay out of debt. It can be done, you just have to do without for a decade or so, live really frugal and then live free, or at least more free then most.

Back