Expensive items to canada

chambersc

Limp Gawd
I'm possible looking to ship to Canada and the items would total about $330. What kind of duties are we looking at here? I know most people's approach (as to not get burned by a buyer or the shipping company that loses/damages the products) is to tell the buyer upfront about how they will pay the duties and such and how you (the seller) won't fudge on customs report...would it be better in the long run to just go like 75-25% on the duties (me with the smaller) to get my sale done? I don't think I'd have a problem doing that as long as it results in a sale. what do you think? also, should I go with USPS for canada shipping...can i insure it?

Not sure about duties but you might get away with the buyer not having pay duties if you list the item sent as gifts...I know that if I was to send stuffs to UK or europe, sending the items as gifts preclude the buyer from paying taxes.
As far as listing the value of the items in the customs report, I would not as if you are purchasing insurance (which I hope you do), there will be a problem if something should happen and the shipping company lost or damaged your package. Chances are, they will give eventually (after a long time of "investigating)) give you the value listed on the customs report and not on the amount you have it insured. Not sure about that but knowing how these places deal with insurance claims, I would not put it passed them.

magnuspah said:
Not sure about duties but you might get away with the buyer not having pay duties if you list the item sent as gifts...I know that if I was to send stuffs to UK or europe, sending the items as gifts preclude the buyer from paying taxes
That is lying, which he said he wouldn't do.
Duties are the buyer's full responsibility; either buy inside Canada or pay the cost is my philosophy.

A little tip based on some research: I called up UPS (I know, I know, just wanted to see what was going on with them). I'd recommend NEVER EVER EVER use UPS to ship to Canada. I called a 1-800 number and asked them directly what their duties rates were and she said

her: "since it falls in this price range, you'd pay $54.61 in duties"
her: "where is the country of origin?"
me: "china?"
her: "if it's made outside of the NAFTA area, then another 15% tax applies to the product"
her: "if it's made in mexico, USA, or Canada, official NAFTA documentation will be required"

in the long run, i registered with FEDEX and used that. cheap ($26 i think for duties) rates and very good shipping and tracking. ONLY downside is no insurance. Although this isn't really taht big of a problem with a little good shipping (PM me if you want pictures of what "good shipping" is to Canada).

Overall... if shipping intl. use FEDEX and pack it to survive WW3.

If shipping international use USPS! Holy crap the other places suck ass. Give it a low value and there will be no tariff.

Use usps and if you want, you can mark it as a gift and avoid the taxes. Typically I would mark as merchandise when I did a lot of ebaying because all those darn canadians are so proud of their canada they may as well pay taxes on the stuff I send em mwhhahaha

huxley said:
Use usps and if you want, you can mark it as a gift and avoid the taxes. Typically I would mark as merchandise when I did a lot of ebaying because all those darn canadians are so proud of their canada they may as well pay taxes on the stuff I send em mwhhahaha
Do what your tag is saying.....

Most items usually doesn't get pwned by customs, even if it does, it's usually just regular sales tax + like $4 service charge from Canada Post. (UPS Charges like $25 brokerage fees, no idea about FedEx, never got taxed from them before)

If you want to completely avoid taxes for your buyer, then just declare as gift of value of $45USD, that minimize the chance of any taxes or service charge. FedEx gets taxed the LEAST (none for me so far), USPS rarely, UPS f**k them.

But to cover your back, don't list as $45 unless the buyer wants you to, and just check off gift and actual value. Every CDN buying from US KNOWS there are potential taxes/customs charges involved, and they can't complaint to you or threaten to send you less money because of it.

Way I typically work it is to insist that the buyer is responsible for all fees, duties, taxes, etc. associated with the cross-border transaction. It sours the deal for a lot of Canadian bidders / buyers, but it avoids a lot of hassle in the future.

Back