Expanding volume

if i remember correctly you cannot increase the size of a disk.
i know you can resize to a lower value but not the other way around
 
if i remember correctly you cannot increase the size of a disk.
i know you can resize to a lower value but not the other way around

No, no, no. I understand how a HDD works. I created a partition that is smaller than the initial size of the HD, I want to increase the size of that partition.
 
You can do that with Partition Magic, I don't think Windoze will let you do it in the OS though. Not without a reformat.
 
You can do that with Partition Magic, I don't think Windoze will let you do it in the OS though. Not without a reformat.

My OS isn't on that drive, that's the reason why i bought a WD Raptor to put critical apps and the OS on it and the bigger one has my games and stuff (pRon! J/K ;) ) just wanna know! :(
 
If you are running Windows and at least XP, you should be able to do this in the disk management snaping (diskmgmt.msc). If that does not work, try diskpart (start run diskpart, list disk, select disk N, list partition select partition N, extend).

If that does not work either, maybe give the Gparted LiveCD a shot.
 
If you are running Windows and at least XP, you should be able to do this in the disk management snaping (diskmgmt.msc). If that does not work, try diskpart (start run diskpart, list disk, select disk N, list partition select partition N, extend).

If that does not work either, maybe give the Gparted LiveCD a shot.

Aw nuts, drizzt beat me to it. Yup, Gparted is your friend. Anyone else like free stuff? :D
 
If you are running Windows and at least XP, you should be able to do this in the disk management snaping (diskmgmt.msc). If that does not work, try diskpart (start run diskpart, list disk, select disk N, list partition select partition N, extend).

If that does not work either, maybe give the Gparted LiveCD a shot.

Thanks SO MUCH! Worked! :D
 
Wait....it's not clear to me that the MS diskpart or the Gparted solution worked. Which one did the trick?

I just used the disk management option in the control panel. Right now I'm using Vista and everything is silky smooth. I really like the Bitlocker program that Ultimate offers.
 
Thanks SO MUCH! Worked! :D

Thanks, I thought so. I didn't know Windows had this 'diskpart' utility built into the OS. Anyway, I have a question and didn't want to have to download and try a new program. But I built an MCE2005 machine with 2 partitions (one physical drive), and made the mistake of allocating only 7.7GB to the C: drive and the rest to D: (where all my data resides). A few days ago I was attempting to update my nvidia drivers and the machine started acting up. I also used clone mode (VGA and DVI connections). I changed the resolution to 1360x768 and it took a 20-30 sec to recover. Anyway I can only boot to safe mode now -- that's fine, I thought, I'll just reinstall MCE2005. Then I looked at my C drive, I had 500MB to spare and was wondering if this was related to my problem. Which gets back to the partition size. After reading a bit, 10GB seems to be size of choice. But can I resize my C and D drives so that I keep my D: data? Use 'diskpart'? Or use Partition Magic?

I've got a bunch of extra stuff that I won't put on the C drive in order to avoid the repartitioning. Maybe 7.7GB is fine. I don't know. Sorry for all the questions. :confused:
 
I love the windows disk management, works great. I'm also a huge fan of partition magic, GParted is great too... unless if you already own PM ;)
 
Back
Top