EXOS +what else do i need?

Vermicious Knid

Limp Gawd
Ok im going to be doing my first watercooling on my system.

Ive decided on getting the koolance exos aluminum since i dont have alot of room in my case to fit a radiator. Ive also decided on danger den water blocks for the cpu/gpu, i wont need mobo chipset or hdd coolers as they are cooled sufficiently/quietly by air.

what else will i need to get this up and runing, does the exos come with all the tubing/connectors i will need(ill be sure to get the right holdowns for the blocks from DD)?

ive read that exos+ non-exos designed blocks = worse performance than using koolance blocks. alot of commercial blocks are designed for high flow, the exos is very low flow. i would get all koolance or get a custom setup. but honestly you will be upset you wasted so much money on a exos after you get into the whole watercooling scene.

ok maybe koolance is not my best option... what kinda setup would you reccomend for a Water Cooling newb who wants excellent performance/ease of setup, and maybe looks pimp too :D ?

The EXOS is not a bad setup. You probably won't get the extreme overclocks a really good custom setup would probably bring, but the EXOS still works well and since it's all self contained, it's really nice. That was one of the biggest reasons I ended up getting one. I have no room whatsoever in my case for a watercooling setup. This also saved me a lot of time I really didn't have to spare.

As for a waterblock for the EXOS system, your best bet is to go with the Koolance blocks. Since it is a 1/4" system, it's difficult to find a block that will work with it and work as well as the Koolance blocks.

If the Exos offerered close performance or a cheaper price it would be easier to recommend but for the price I really couldn't see how it would really be an option unless you are just really lazy. Custom watercooling kits are not hard to install. Honestly though buying a case for watercooling will make a huge difference in ease and choices. The Chieftec Dragon series are about the most popular with the Lian-Li PC70 right there with it. The Lian-Li is more though. Shoving a watercooling kit into a cheap or small case will be a pain, even if you use an external rad. If you plan on spending $300 like an Exos will cost then you could get a whole custom kit + a new case that would outperform the Exos by a large margin.

Go to DangerDen and use their kit builder to get an idea of what you need to build a watercooling setup. Then find pictures on the forums of peoples watercooling setups to get an idea of what they look like installed. There are alot of other choices when you DIY. A kit like Asetek will be the same as a custom one you build but just in one package. Get what you want. Although the Swiftech kits are really nice except for the rad.

The exos is a good setup, its what i learned the in/outs of watercooling on, it good for a first time WCer :)

advanced101101 said:
The exos is a good setup, its what i learned the in/outs of watercooling on, it good for a first time WCer :)

I second this, but recently I sold my exos and I'm going with a D-tek white water setup. Its not as much I want a better performing system, though, as I now enjoy modding and doing things myself.

If you want to get your feet wet in water cooling, then the Koolance may be the way to go.

If you want to spend a bit less and learn even more, then DIY is the way to go. I suggest a lot of research and reading, however. Heck, I'm still doing that myself.

I sold my original exos, now my friend wanted to sell it back for a $100 with a 200G cooler, so i bought it. My next mod is to take it apart and mount everything seperately in my case rather than it be stuck in the ugly box ontop of my case, ill post pics of the mod when its finished :)

Back