EXOS-2 Option Fully Loaded with everything.

Taradino

Limp Gawd
What is your honest opinion on the Koolance Exos-2 (EX2-750BK) cooling unit.
I will be getting the following to go with it, but will the Exos-2 handle it all?
1 Dangerden CPU Block.
2 HDD Dangerden Cooling units.
A GPU block for BFG 6600 GT OC.

I was just going to have the main hose line output split into 3 for each part and then come back together before going back into the Exos-2 unit. That a good idea???
Would the unit beable to handle it all?

Taradino said:
I was just going to have the main hose line output split into 3 for each part and then come back together before going back into the Exos-2 unit. That a good idea???
No, that is a terrible idea.
Unless you are willing ( and, more importantly- able) to balance the flow through each branch,the water, lazy bugger that it is, will simply rush merrily through the least restrictive line (I would guess the HDD cooler, maybe) and leave the harder paths undercooled. Run your blocks in series...the order is irrelevant.

Would the unit beable to handle it all?
Dunno.
Is the Koolance natively 3/8" bore?

If you go with a Maze 4 CPU block rather than TDX/RBX as the Exos II is natively a very weak flowing unit and the restriction from an impingement block such as either of those could be too much for it. It should work fine with the Maze 4. I've used the Exos (original Exos) with a Zalman WB-2 waterblock and it got great results but the WB-2 was a pretty low restriction block.

As to splitting the flow 3 ways. That's a bad idea as the water will flow to the block with the least restriction starving the other blocks and leading to abnormally high temps. Unless you plumb in valves to balance the flow along with 3 flow meters to make certain the flow is balanced you're better off just going with a series configuration.

That about sums it up...the Koolance may/probly will have flow issues with multiple blocks that aren't of it's own. There are Koolance CPU/GPU blocks etc available...but if you don't want to go that route then I'd just make sure that you're going with the lowest flow restriction possible when it comes to all the other components.

I would stick with the Koolance blocks, it should be able to hand that load easily. I have an EXOS 1 cooling my [email protected], 9800Pro (432/392), chipset(284FSB). The only bad part about it is that its way more expensive than a comparable DIY system.

acascianelli said:
I would stick with the Koolance blocks, it should be able to hand that load easily. I have an EXOS 1 cooling my [email protected], 9800Pro (432/392), chipset(284FSB). The only bad part about it is that its way more expensive than a comparable DIY system.

This is also true.

it's a bit of a downer, but to get as much as you can out of the Exos I would stick with Koolance blocks. If you really don't want to do that (and you haven't purchaed the Exos yet) I would piece something together from scratch for the optimal price/performance ratio.

What about running everything inline with eachother then? CPU > CPU > HDD > back to exos-2. I concern myself with cooling though how by the time it hits like cpu and hdd the fluid is already hott.
Would it still be efficient?

Taradino said:
What about running everything inline with eachother then? CPU > CPU > HDD > back to exos-2. I concern myself with cooling though how by the time it hits like cpu and hdd the fluid is already hott.
Would it still be efficient?

Well, it would be fine running everything in sequence like that...but with a newer system you really don't have to cool anything other than the cpu and gpu...you will/should still have some type of decent air circulation in the case, so the hard drive(s) will be fine.

The cpu and gpu should be alright, of course the second item in that sequence will be being fed some of that warmer water...but it's not going to be hurting temps THAT much.

Previously, I had a custom built h2O setup...a 3.4GHz Prescott @ 4GHz in the setup, and that Prescott was feeding water directly to the Maze4 block on my X800XT-PE. Even with that water coming from the TDX block on the Prescott I was able to voltmod the X800XT-PE and get it perfectly stable at 675MHz.

I wouldn't worry about temps when you have the blocks in line like that, but I would use the recommended Koolance GPU and CPU blocks with the Exos or you might end up with higher then normal temperatures due to decreased flow rate.

What about using like a dangerden block but with the same size tubing as what the koolance unit can handle, 3/8' I believe it is.
Problem?

cornelious0_0 said:
Well, it would be fine running everything in sequence like that...but with a newer system you really don't have to cool anything other than the cpu and gpu...you will/should still have some type of decent air circulation in the case, so the hard drive(s) will be fine.

The cpu and gpu should be alright, of course the second item in that sequence will be being fed some of that warmer water...but it's not going to be hurting temps THAT much.

Previously, I had a custom built h2O setup...a 3.4GHz Prescott @ 4GHz in the setup, and that Prescott was feeding water directly to the Maze4 block on my X800XT-PE. Even with that water coming from the TDX block on the Prescott I was able to voltmod the X800XT-PE and get it perfectly stable at 675MHz.

I wouldn't worry about temps when you have the blocks in line like that, but I would use the recommended Koolance GPU and CPU blocks with the Exos or you might end up with higher then normal temperatures due to decreased flow rate.

The pump can do 2L/min (31.6 GPH), would that not have any effect on how many items i have split to inside the case?

I would have thought a pump of that magnitude could handle me running 3 split offs from the main line to the items and back to the pump.

?

Taradino said:
The pump can do 2L/min (31.6 GPH), would that not have any effect on how many items i have split to inside the case?

I would have thought a pump of that magnitude could handle me running 3 split offs from the main line to the items and back to the pump.

?

Well, i hate to burst your bubble...but 32GPH isn't anything very crazy...and whether or not you're using Koolance blocks, your temperatures are going to climb with that setup once you start adding more than the first block or two. With multiple DangerDen blocks in that loop you're really going to be hurtin'...and I'd stick with the Koolance cpu and gpu blocks.

Back