Exmovere Chariot On Video

HardOCP News

[H] News
I found a video of that self-balancing, wearable transportation device called “the Chariot” that everyone has been talking about all week. Seeing it in action (versus pictures) makes me a believer.

I can see him falling on his face if he runs into an item on the floor.

Obese people need not apply ;-)

that thing can move but if you dont stop right away I can see a lot of people leaving face prints walls lol. Still I would to love play around with one.

Wait until this shit start happening :D
PBF156-Disassemble.gif

I can see him falling on his face if he runs into an item on the floor.

Yup.

However this is just a start, so they will probably work on some of that in the future. But I will say that for those that need such a device it does look very promising.

That's pretty badass, people in wheelchairs are gonna be lining up.

I always wanted a life size Zeroid!

That charriot would make a dandy Zintar base!

It looks like its controlled by foot pedals. All this thing is going to do is make healthy legs go bad from lack of use.
So what problem does this invention solve? If you cannot use your legs to walk you probably cannot stand, which means this is not for you.
From a coolness factor this ranks up there with the segway... so sweet, mall cops get a new toy

Obese people can just wear one. On each leg.

This would be a boon for people without 2 working legs. Or WoW players.

Yeah unfortunately most of the people I see in those little "mobility carts" are fat mother fuckers who need to be walking around. Old people this would be great for, fat fucks... byebye

It looked to me like the controls were based on his torso. He leans back and it stops - rotates and it turns - leans forward and it goes forward.

But ya, it's base may not be big enough to support someone who's pretty 'robust'.

It looks like its controlled by foot pedals. All this thing is going to do is make healthy legs go bad from lack of use.
So what problem does this invention solve? If you cannot use your legs to walk you probably cannot stand, which means this is not for you.
From a coolness factor this ranks up there with the segway... so sweet, mall cops get a new toy

It looked to me like the controls were based on his torso. He leans back and it stops - rotates and it turns - leans forward and it goes forward.

But ya, it's base may not be big enough to support someone who's pretty 'robust'.

yah, it looked to me more like what Old_way said, he was leaning back and forth to go forwards / backwards and rotating to turn.

I'd assume the inside has some thing you resting on so that you aren't actually standing in it but are just in a standing position with it supporting you.

How exactly would you stand up if your legs don't work? hmm... I still maintain that virtually all old people don't have the coordination or reflexes to be able to control machines like this. This only seems good for people with minor temporary conditions.

I don't even see the point of this thing if you can walk, if you can't, well it's great I reckon.

Unless you are a dissabled person, this is the stupidest device I've ever seen.

Some of you are pretty short-sighted. 1) If it's torso controlled then you don't have to stand in it, you just need something holding your torso in place in the device. 2) Bending down to pick stuff up could probably be aided in the future by some sort of hydraulic morphing goodness. 3) Obviously, nobody cares about fat people.

Well, people buy segways for a reason, I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Try to look past this demo. A refined model with alternate movement controls depending on the user could help paraplegics, the elderly, anyone who has sustained serious leg injury.

OR we could just be witnessing the birth of the Darlecks. Either way it's pretty cool.

Some of you are pretty short-sighted. 1) If it's torso controlled then you don't have to stand in it, you just need something holding your torso in place in the device. 2) Bending down to pick stuff up could probably be aided in the future by some sort of hydraulic morphing goodness. 3) Obviously, nobody cares about fat people.

Holding my torso in place? Sounds like it would really chaff. Is something that squeezes on your entire torso to keep upright a good idea? Sounds like it would restrict breathing and cause skin problems with extended use. Now if you mod this thing to go 30mph and then watch someone faceplant now that's entertainment! :eek: About all it's good for. Still a nice engineering example though.

Once your knees are locked you have no choice but to stand disabled or not. This coming from a wheelchair bound person, kinda like a standing table on wheels.

Real world experience says this would suck for curbs and even small bumbs, but I wouldn't mind having one.

Wow, I couldn't think that something could be less useful and dorkier looking than the Segway for a fully fit person to be using... till now. God, I hope it doesn't become the rage in Silicon Valley startups to have employees zipping around in this thing.

It looks like it'll be useless for parapalegics since it requires tilting and twisting to control it... Hopefully it'll be cheaper than the Segway though.

Reminds me of an upright version of the "wheelchair" that Christopher Pike used the reworked "pilot" episodes of Star Trek. A picture of it is at the very bottom of this article:
http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/02/26/treknobabble-55-top-10-star-trek-inventions-yet-to-be-invented/

Or a dorkier real life version of Wallace's "Techno-Trousers" in the animated short "the Wrong Trousers". http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/films/wrongtrousers/

Wow, I couldn't think that something could be less useful and dorkier looking than the Segway for a fully fit person to be using... till now. God, I hope it doesn't become the rage in Silicon Valley startups to have employees zipping around in this thing.

It looks like it'll be useless for parapalegics since it requires tilting and twisting to control it... Hopefully it'll be cheaper than the Segway though.

Reminds me of an upright version of the "wheelchair" that Christopher Pike used the reworked "pilot" episodes of Star Trek. A picture of it is at the very bottom of this article:
http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/02/26/treknobabble-55-top-10-star-trek-inventions-yet-to-be-invented/

Or a dorkier real life version of Wallace's "Techno-Trousers" in the animated short "the Wrong Trousers". http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/films/wrongtrousers/

The first thing I thought "That looks retarded". Second thing is Captain Pike.

captainpike.jpg

Don't remind me, we are going to have to see how that happened in a few weeks. LONG LIVE CAPTAIN PIKE!

Back