• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Exhaust fan ideas?

drizzt8178

n00b
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
8
I've recently upgraded my computer, and now everything is running too hot for my taste. My computer is located in one of those "desk cubby holes", so the hot air just sits in the little compartment. My idea was to cut a hole in the backside of my desk and install an exhaust fan to push the hot air out.

I'm looking for a fan to attach to my desk for this purpose. Has anyone ever hooked up a large computer case fan for something like this? Or maybe seen another product to do something similar? If I use a case fan, I'm not sure how to modify the molex connector so that it works off a battery, or something else?

I'm open to any ideas anyone might have, except for moving the computer somewhere else. :)
 
They used to sell fans with cables that were like 5' long, to cool monitors. If you can find one, that may be a good bet. They usually came with a PCI-molex pass through to just run off the PC's power.
 
that thing won't move enough air to fix your problems. just cut the back out of the desk where the PC is stored and call it a day
 
I have the exact same issue as you. I tried a simple AC fan but it was way too loud and it caused interference problems for me when I did. Of course that was back with I had a CRT monitor. I still would go with DC and not an AC fan. I got a voltage adapter from radio shack that plugs in to regular AC wall outlet 120v and then has a screw dial that lets you select the DC voltage output you want from about 3v to 12v in 1.5v increments. It was under $20 if I remember right. I used a hobby lead to go from it to the fans. I cut two holes in the top of the back piece of the compartment and mounted 2 120mm yate loons. With the voltage dial, I can turn down the voltage to what I want so that they are quiet yet still suck air out of the desk. I also cut out and put in a decorative floor type vent into the side of the compartment on the inside of the desk to draw in fresh air.
 
Back
Top