excuse my ignorance but why does everyone hate the CCC?

tisb0b

[H] Pirate
So why does everyone hate the ccc?

imo it's not perfect but it does the job.

Its terrible and ATI tray tools are much better. CCC takes hours to load and takes up quite a bit of memory running in the background.

When i had my X800XL i ran drivers and ati tray tools, completely skipping over CCC.

Endurancevm said:
Its terrible and ATI tray tools are much better. CCC takes hours to load and takes up quite a bit of memory running in the background.

When i had my X800XL i ran drivers and ati tray tools, completely skipping over CCC.

with my system I haven't noticed that at all and it seems to use bairly any memory. Granted I haven't tried ati tray tools but I'm just too damn lazy :cool:

Takes forever to load and moves my cursor to the middle of the damn screen! :mad:

Drivers and ATi Tray Tools FTW!

merlin704 said:
Takes forever to load and moves my cursor to the middle of the damn screen! :mad:

Drivers and ATi Tray Tools FTW!

so a small delay of 5-10 seconds is taking forever to load?

tisb0b said:
so a small delay of 5-10 seconds is taking forever to load?

Yes. With all the driver versions they have released, this should not be a problem anymore. Besides, with ATi Tray Tools, I get more options and settings than with CCC.

Takes ages to load (up to 30 seconds) and holds the PC up while it has a nap.
Often has screen corruptions so you cant view the changes.
Changes dont stick.
It crashes.
Too slow in operation.
Uses too much ram.
its really annoying!

Sine installing CAT 6.9, it wont even load.
I get the hourglass timer for a few seconds and then nothing.
Cant be bothered to fix it cos its not worth the effort :)

I have no problem with CCC other than it shouldn't take 3 processes running in the background to execute. I can wait 5 seconds for it to load, even on my older AGP based machine. 40 seconds vs 30-35 seconds from power button to desktop fully loaded is a small price to pay. And to those who hate and whine all day about ATi's drivers, Nvidia is always there to comfort you.

Mister E said:
I have no problem with CCC other than it shouldn't take 3 processes running in the background to execute. I can wait 5 seconds for it to load, even on my older AGP based machine. 40 seconds vs 30-35 seconds from power button to desktop fully loaded is a small price to pay. And to those who hate and whine all day about ATi's drivers, Nvidia is always there to comfort you.

WRONG! I never said ATi's drivers sucked, I said CCC sucked. Get it right. :rolleyes:

I have no problems with it loading or anything. I use ATI Tray Tools to manually set fan speeds and test overclocks, and if an overclock is fine, I set those speeds to be requested in CCC... perfect little combination right there for me. I would hate to have to run my GPU on 3D voltage and speeds all the time.

I loathe the CCC for the following reasons:

1) It takes a long time to load. Irritating, but not a showstopper.

2) It jacks around with the mouse while loading and closing. Irritating, but not a showstopper.

3) The window is not resizeable. VERY irritating, but not a showstopper.

4) It often fails to save settings. Definitely a big problem.

5) I have to shut down FRAPS in order for it to work properly. Another big problem.

6) Last time I ran it, I saw a advertisement for another video card (X1950 PRO I think). Not acceptable.

7) The interface is very poorly designed. It tries to be too high-tech looking, but utterly fails and just looks cluttered. That makes it hard to find what you are looking for.

-Mark

CCC has never given be a problem since it was released. Granted it starts slower the first time but what application doesn't? After the first time it snaps to attention when requested.

1) the performance of the CCC is a joke, even on my opt165 @ 3ghz,

2) there are no DVI options when connected through VGA

3) latest CCC wouldn't accept the monitor driver,

4) gives you very limited control over the display settings, and even those do not work when you try to change them

5) the advanced mode of CCC is aimed @ 10 yr olds with no pc knowledge

5)utter piece of crap

I hate CCC. Recently did a clean install and used the latest cats and decided to try CCC for once. Startup and shutdown times increased, opening the CCC takes forever, and my system is no slouch!!! I also went with it to see what this Avivio was all about. Damn if I still don't know what the hell it is or how to use it!!!

Next cats that come out I'm going with the control panel and atitool. No more CCC for me

Most of CCC's problems are due to it being .NET based. They say it should be better in Vista, we'll see...

Scroatdog said:
I also went with it to see what this Avivio was all about. Damn if I still don't know what the hell it is or how to use it!!

Avivo is to do with dvd playback nothing else and it should work regardless of CCC.

Mark_Warner said:
I loathe the CCC for the following reasons:

1) It takes a long time to load. Irritating, but not a showstopper.

2) It jacks around with the mouse while loading and closing. Irritating, but not a showstopper.

3) The window is not resizeable. VERY irritating, but not a showstopper.

4) It often fails to save settings. Definitely a big problem.

5) I have to shut down FRAPS in order for it to work properly. Another big problem.

6) Last time I ran it, I saw a advertisement for another video card (X1950 PRO I think). Not acceptable.

7) The interface is very poorly designed. It tries to be too high-tech looking, but utterly fails and just looks cluttered. That makes it hard to find what you are looking for.

-Mark

I do agree with you on all of those reasons :)

So, I just bought the wife an x1900 AIW and will be the first time using ATI since my 9500 pro. How do you load the drivers without CCC and use ATI tools? Can someone give me a quick rundown?

Thanks!

The ATI driver download site has the option of downling the drivers in two files. The frist file is the actual drivers, the second is the CCC.

Just don't download and install the second file.

Then download and install the ATI Tray Tools from Guru3d.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If I normally used an ATI video card (for everyday use), I would write my own ATI toolbox. But I don't. So I won't.

Ahh,

Great! Thanks a bunch!

Mark_Warner said:
The ATI driver download site has the option of downling the drivers in two files. The frist file is the actual drivers, the second is the CCC.

Just don't download and install the second file.

Then download and install the ATI Tray Tools from Guru3d.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If I normally used an ATI video card (for everyday use), I would write my own ATI toolbox. But I don't. So I won't.

I don't mind the CCC for things like load time. My system opens it in 3-5 seconds. My two main complaints about are:

1. There is no option for fan control.

2. Game profiles. This was the deal breaker for me. I know you can make profiles, but only if the game launches with a vanilla command line that points to the .EXE. There is no option for command line switches, so try creating profiles for Source based games...can't be done.

I've had to go to doing what one of the above posters has done. I have both CCC and Tray Tools installed. I use Tray Tools to control fan speeds and create my profiles, but leave the CCC running so that the automatic 2D/3D clocks work.

I didn't pay top dollar for a vid card that takes 5 secs longer than the competition. nuff said.

That with the 3 sec screen flicker adds 8 secs to startup. Why would you be happy to add a program that adds time to your startup?

I want to press on and use now. Anything that detracts from that is bad by default.

merlin704 said:
WRONG! I never said ATi's drivers sucked, I said CCC sucked. Get it right. :rolleyes:

Who said I was speaking directly to you? Assumption is such a bitch sometimes aint it.

Mister E said:
Who said I was speaking directly to you? Assumption is such a bitch sometimes aint it.

Depends really.:)

Again, ATi's drivers are great it's the CCC that is fubar'd.

Back