• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Excited, just ordered a i7 920!

CamaroRacing

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
104
I just won a Core i7 920 on ebay for $210 new in the box, best price I could since I don't have a Micro Center near me. I'm going to buy an EVGA X58 board to go along with this and I already have 2 GBs of DDR3 waiting on it. How far should I expect to be able to push this baby on stock air cooling?
 
Uh...not sure what the guy above is smoking, but lots of people hit 3.8 - 4.0 ghz rather easily on air with D0 stepping. Stock cooler maybe a bit less sure...probably in the 3.4+ area if you know what you're doing.
 
Uh...not sure what the guy above is smoking, but lots of people hit 3.8 - 4.0 ghz rather easily on air with D0 stepping. Stock cooler maybe a bit less sure...probably in the 3.4+ area if you know what you're doing.

he said stock air not beastly cooler.
 
isn't x58 triple channel? Might want to look into that 2gb of ram.
 
I plan on adding more ram later, I just have a stick of 2 gbs right now from another build.
 
X58 is triple channel. I would not go with less than 6gb really for an x58 setup.If you want a cheap cooler that gets great reviews you should look into the cooler master hyper 212. One thing is you need to make sure it is low voltage ram. Nothing more than 1.65 volts.
 
^^^^^^^ Agreed. Wouldn't go less than 6 gigs for 1366. 4 gigs is fine for a 1156 imho.
 
6gigs of ram for sure - I'm pretty sure most DOs are hitting 4.0GHz. Just depends on how lucky you are at getting a good batch and being able to hit that 4.0GHz with lower voltage. Hitting 4.0GHz was a breeze for me. I was able to do it with 1.23v , idle at 35*C and load at about 68*C. Do plenty of research on case flow and the cooler you want. I am only using an Ultima 90 but I have excellent case flow.
 
Yeah, I definitely plan on getting 4 GBs more to add to my ram.

4GB more of ram to add to your 2 will still not get you triple channel. In order to achieve triple channel you need to use 3 DIMMS, not 4. I think what the others are trying to tell you is to disregard the 2GB you already have and purchase a triple channel kit.

Sorry, I re-read your post and I see you have 1 DIMM, so adding 2 more will give you triple channel, however I would still recommend buying a triple channel kit. That way you insure that all three DIMMS are identical.

7th Angel
 
I just upped my BCLK without any other changes and booted mine at 3.8Ghz using a Corsair H50 cooler.

This thing is wicked for doing video encoding. Makes my old E6850 look like a dinosaur.
 
Is there certain triple channel kits everyone recommends? Limahl, that is what I plan on using it for mainly is video encoding besides the usual web browsing and gaming every now and then.
 
4GB more of ram to add to your 2 will still not get you triple channel. In order to achieve triple channel you need to use 3 DIMMS, not 4. I think what the others are trying to tell you is to disregard the 2GB you already have and purchase a triple channel kit.

Sorry, I re-read your post and I see you have 1 DIMM, so adding 2 more will give you triple channel, however I would still recommend buying a triple channel kit. That way you insure that all three DIMMS are identical.

7th Angel

I think for now I will just order two of the same sticks as I have now from Corsair, I appreciate the advice , though. How do you like that EVGA board?
 
I want to reiterate how important low voltage ram is for the i7. You need to make sure what you have on hand is not rated at 2.2v and 1.65v.
 
Got my D0 at 3.8Ghz with 1.168 vcore and a prolimatech megahalems heatsink with 2 fans in push/pull. Pretty damn nice
 
I love my i7, on my first try to oc it, it went stable to 4.2 @ 1.4 with llc.
 
167 x 21 @ 1.21v on stock cooler with as5, idling at 47. prime95 is stable as a rock, but temps get scary quickly. works beautifully for gaming and encoding here and there. won't be letting it fold til i get a new cooler :p

i would be using 1.20v, but my mobo only does negative drops in intervals of .02 :[

it would be .02 lower if i had 3 sticks instead of 6 sticks of ram, though.
 
167 x 21 @ 1.21v on stock cooler with as5, idling at 47. prime95 is stable as a rock, but temps get scary quickly. works beautifully for gaming and encoding here and there. won't be letting it fold til i get a new cooler :p

i would be using 1.20v, but my mobo only does negative drops in intervals of .02 :[

it would be .02 lower if i had 3 sticks instead of 6 sticks of ram, though.

I think that is a very high idle. What cooler you got on it right now? Usual idle temps should be around 35C-42C with air coolers. I get between 34C-37C overnight idle.
 
4GB more of ram to add to your 2 will still not get you triple channel. In order to achieve triple channel you need to use 3 DIMMS, not 4. I think what the others are trying to tell you is to disregard the 2GB you already have and purchase a triple channel kit.

Sorry, I re-read your post and I see you have 1 DIMM, so adding 2 more will give you triple channel, however I would still recommend buying a triple channel kit. That way you insure that all three DIMMS are identical.

7th Angel

Well technically, even if he had 2x1GB dimms he can still get triple channel by getting another 4x1GB dimms. Not the most ideal way of getting 6GB of ram, but it would work.

Also so the OP, you'll want to be sure your existing DIMMS can operate at their rated speeds at 1.65v or less per Intel's specifications.
 
I think for now I will just order two of the same sticks as I have now from Corsair, I appreciate the advice , though. How do you like that EVGA board?

This is my first EVGA board and I have to say I am impressed with it. After a $30 rebate and $32 Bing CB the price was about the same as the UD7. The lifetime warranty sealed the deal.
 
I got an EVGA X58 3X SLI LGA1366 Motherboard i7 off eBay about 1 month ago. I am quite impressed with this board although I have not pushed it yet only 3GHz now for the i7 920.
 
yeah I've been tempted to try an EVGA board. Good luck with yours!

It's been great. I have pushed the BCLK an extra 5MHz to 155 so I am running my C0 920 at 3.1 GHz. Again need this to be 100% stable so a little at a time basically every time I enter the bios for some reason I add 5 or 10 Mhz to BCLK without touching any other parameter.
 
Guy im running a dfi x58 T3eH6 board with 6gigs of ripjaws 1600 @ 1.52 with a 920do @ 1.15 with turbo enabled and power saving enabled...im stable at 170 x 21 with prime 12hr..my temps with a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233025 are 38-42 idle @2041mhz and full out @3.7 temps are 68-74c...this rig screams .ive had it at 4.0 for a week or so but didnt want to be running high temps for surfing...my ssd makes this thing unbelievable....this dfi board was the best out of the 3 boards ive tryed for my own rig...ive built others for customers and used the foxconn,giga ud3,asus p6t se and all worked fine but my dfi beat all as far as temps go..performance was pretty equal....just my 2cents....
 
It's been great. I have pushed the BCLK an extra 5MHz to 155 so I am running my C0 920 at 3.1 GHz. Again need this to be 100% stable so a little at a time basically every time I enter the bios for some reason I add 5 or 10 Mhz to BCLK without touching any other parameter.

Not sure about your voltage setting, but when I was first OCing my 920, my voltage was set to "Auto". My mobo ended up pumping too much voltage through with it on the Auto setting. I was getting some unusually high temps for a "measly" 3.2 GHz OC. I changed the voltage setting to "Normal" and I got much better results.
 
I have it set to auto. I believe that is ~1.25V at full load and lower at idle.

Edit:
I just sshd in to home and I do not have the voltage sensor enabled in lm-sensors so I can not tell. I have not seen any temps to get me worried but again I am not at all concerned with 80C temps on a core2 or better. Some users would have serious issues with those temps. I just consider I am not pushing the chip hard enough to hit its design max. :)
 
Last edited:
3.6 is easy without any voltage increase, and oftentimes even when undervolting. If you want you can try to push it to 4.0 ghz, but there's really no need to besides e-peen and/or wanting a higher power bill.
 
That always depends on what you do with the processor. I could use a 32 core 10 GHz CPU (if it existed and was attainable without needing a second mortgage) but that is not for game playing but work related stuff. As part of my day job I have stuff that takes hours on 8 core machines.
 
Back
Top