Exchange: User Quit- Transfer Work To Other Account?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Exchange 2003.

The user quit. Disabled their account, but need to know the best way to setup so that all their email starts going to another user. My plan was a distribution list... but this requires deleting the old account out of Active Directory, which I don't want to do yet.

Getting the current emails into the new user's box isn't a big deal. I can poke around with EXMerge (or even just do a manual export into a PST).

Exmerge will do what you already stated export their .PST
You can use Active directory to forward their mail to another user.
I believe its under exchange genral or exchange advanced tab. Look for delivery options then forward.
You just put in the acount you want the mail to forward to.

Don't disable the account - it stops the flow of email. Instead, change the password and then change the account's logon hours to 0. Use exmerge for the old email and just forward the email to the new user. Or delete the account and add the old email address as an alias to the new user.

I'd just add the original SMTP address to the new persons AD properties, under mail address. If you need to migrate the original users inbox to the new person...either XMerge, or if you're able to go to the original persons workstation..or any workstation for that matter..log in as them..pull mail to PST...copy PST to neutral location where the new users can get access to it (or via Thumbdrive)...and import it to the new persons mailbox.

Don't disable the account - it stops the flow of email. Instead, change the password and then change the account's logon hours to 0. Use exmerge for the old email and just forward the email to the new user. Or delete the account and add the old email address as an alias to the new user.

No this is not correct. Disabling the account does NOT stop the flow of email it just stops the access to that eail account from the original user or anyone else other than an admin. Forwarding email while the account is disabled works fine

No this is not correct. Disabling the account does NOT stop the flow of email it just stops the access to that eail account from the original user or anyone else other than an admin. Forwarding email while the account is disabled works fine

QFT.

That's been my experience as well. All mail flows just fine on disabled accounts (on Server 2003 & Exchange 2003 at least).

It's been a few years since I admin'd exchange - not my main area of expertise anymore - but hey, just recounting my own experience. In our environment, disabled accounts/mailboxes stopped receiving mail. Microsoft (and) seems to agree with me but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong. Anyhow, there's more than one way to skin a cat and Exchange is no exception.

Well here is what I did and I tested to make sure it worked.

Exmerged emails.
Disabled the account.
Changed the logon name (to free up that user's mailbox).
Created distribution list as that user's old logon name, and added the new user as a member to that list.

Mail flows to the new user just fine...

Think that'll work?

I think I should maybe try adding the old email to the new user's Exchange Properties as one of their email addresses to see if that would work that way... that seems to be the best option (however I didn't think of it right off hand).

Are you trying to take the old mailbox from the employee that left and 'give' it to someone else?
If so you reconnect the mailbox in exchange to an existing user account.

If this isnt what your talking about then what you did was fine with creating a distro list. IMO you need to define a time of how long to keep the account around. Its good practice to remove disabled accounts after a set time period. We do 30 days.

Yes I was thinking a few weeks- until folks start using the replacement's address.

The person taking over the work was already existing...

Back