Exchange to Exchange not working

Party2go9820

2[H]4U
Ok I'm having some trouble getting my two exchange boxes to talk to each other. My original Exchange 2000 box is up and working fine and my new Exchange 2003 box seems to be working ok as well. I've created a test user on the 2000 box, moved his mail box to the 2003 box and it worked flawlessly.

Problem is when I try to send e-mails to/from the test account. I can send e-mails from the test account ont he 2003 box and they get delivered to the 2000 box, but sending to the test account from the 2000 does not get delivered. I get this message back:

Bob Smith on 4/20/2006 9:57 AM
The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
<MyServer20003.Domain.int #5.0.0>

Any help?

i don't understand what you mean when you say you are sending the message from one box to the other. you're sending the mail from a user to the same user, not from one box to the other. please explain this to me.

big daddy fatsacks said:
i don't understand what you mean when you say you are sending the message from one box to the other. you're sending the mail from a user to the same user, not from one box to the other. please explain this to me.

Sorry. I am sending mail from a user whos mailbox is on the 2003 server to another user whos mailbox that is on the 2000 server. Mail is flowing from the 2003 server to the 2000 server, but not the other direction. Sending mail from a user on the 2003 server to another user on the 2003 server works fine as well.

Verify that whatever is doing your DNS is responding on TCP port 53. Exchange 2000 is dependent on DNS to forward email between servers, and only uses TCP (nslookup uses UDP by default). We actually had this happen this week at work. It was quite the stumper.

If that doesn't do it.... that's the extent of my exchange knowledge. I'm a network guy. Good luck.

Back