Exchange server in test environment?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Morning. I am wanting to setup a test environment more or less for learning, and I need an exchange server in the environment. It has been a long time.

Basically, it needs to be a functioning email server internally. Sending emails out would be nice more or less for testing, but its not going to production. If I had to send to another mailbox on the same server, that would be fine.

So, is it possible to do an all in one with DC and exchange on one box for this sort of a scenario? I can probably talk my ISP into getting me a reverse dns entry as I have two statics at the house, however would prefer not to.

Can you install DC and Exchange on the same box, yes. Best practice, No. :D

Are you installing this physically or in a VM environment? If VM, why not spin up another VM. Especially for Test, a single core and 512mb will fly for a DC.

Yes VM, for simplicity sake would rather an AIO, then export and stash a copy for safe keeping.

I've done this several times for testing purposes, you shouldn't have a problem.

I've done it using VMware workstation and using ESXi both in my own lab systems. I used separate VMs for DC/AD and Exchange.

Ok so I have a functioning exchange server in a test environment. I cannot sent out to anyone, and I cannot receive from anyone. It works internally though.

I vaguely remember the need of a cert, is this the case? I don't know if I really need to send in/out but it would be nice. I do have 25 open at the house, and reverse dns passes, but I have no SPF record. I can get a wildcard cert for like $70/yr and may do that if its all I need.

Like I said before it has been many years since I messed with exchange. I have no interested in creating security threats and would rather do it by the book even for testing.

I talked nice to my ISP and they opened it up. They know I am an above average user. I can telnet to the server.

When I signed up for service, they wanted to know all of the devices I was going to connect. I politely asked for "please just provide me with wan info and just drop the cable". She insisted. So I gave her a list. She didn't know what to do, so I ended up getting one of their really experienced guys out, he mainly wanted to see for himself. I think he shit a brick. He said I was the only one to ever ask for the wan info and a drop only. I also host a test VM for them on a second public IP.

I get a lot of special perks from this ISP. Fuckin' love 'em, they have been very awesome to me, and I have been very awesome(and prob a pain in the ass at times) to them. The speeds may not be impressive, but for rural internet I cannot bitch.

You need to set up the required sent/receive connectors for external mail. How much experience with exchange have you got? There should be plenty of guides out there if you need them.

I am not well versed in exchange, I will check the send/receive connectors and see if I can find some guides.

Great job! The hardest thing about installing and the initial configuration are the Prereqs.

Back