exchange server and sonciwall TZ 180 help.

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
i just installed a sonicwall TZ 180 device in my system for vpn access only. I had to change the ip setting and the gateway settings and such to get it to work. currently all clients are online and internal email is working fine through exchange server.

But no on can get mail in now. it is all getting bounced back. I only want to use this device for vpn access only. Is there a way to get exchange server working right again? my thought is the firewall is blocking the mail from connecting to exhange server. any way to eliminate that easily? Just want VPN access through this device , no firewall I ahve symantec for that.

server 2003 xp
30 clients
Sonicwall TZ 180

The SonicWall is a very capable firewall. My choice would be to use it as it was meant to be used and scrap the Symantec firewall. The vpn really goes hand in hand with the firewall anyway.

It sounds kind of like you are running two firewalls now as you have it configured. Sounds like the ISP connection is going into the new SonicWall and you've lost the port forwarding to the e-mail server.

Is the SonicWall replacing something else or no?

If you are truly only adding the SonicWall for vpn then don't route all of your traffic through it. Put that back the way it was. Assuming you have another public IP available, give the SonicWall it's own public IP and be done with it. Make sure you turn off all of the LAN side DHCP and all of that of course.

Is the Symantec firewall an appliance or software running on the server?

Back