Exchange Server 2003 SP2

TECHKnight

Gawd
Any exchange admins out there? Any of you plan to install SP2 soon? Have any of you installed it yet?

We are seriously looking into deploying this in our environment, we have actually being waiting anxiously for the release, but now I am a little hesitant to be an early adopter. I'm looking for any experiences anyone knows about involving the roll out of SP2 for Exchange 2k3.

Reasons we are highly interested in this SP:
1. Increased size of Message Store (17 gb limit raised to 75). We have been hovering at the edge of the limit for some time now, and it is a constant fight with users to keep the message store from dismounting. The largest offenders are senior executives in our privately owned company.

2. New mobility offerings, including Direct Push.

Please share any insights.

I will be installing SP2 next weekend, having making a nice ghost image of the server first (not that I don't trust MS or anything)

For me there is no big reason to install it like you have forthe mobile stuff since I do have a Blackberry V4.x server running for the mobile.

I also have a tight leash on users and the size of mailboxes 225,000 starts warning 275,000 no sending email. (except the President just gets warning at 250,000 ) so the increase in the size of the store limit is not a big factor either.

Installed SP2 a few days ago. Went smoothly... doesn't require a reboot. Just make sure you install it on your front-ends first.

TECHKnight said:
Not sure what you mean by that statement. Could you please clarify a bit?

I assume you aren't in an FE -> BE scenario. In larger instances there are front end servers for logons, webmail, etc... and back end servers that hold the database. Usually one or two front ends to load balance and some back ends. We deal in a lot of single Exchange scenarios, so we don't run in to it a lot either.

However, if you ARE running multiple Exchange servers... just apply SP2 to your front ends first!

Can you give some reasons for applying sp2 on the fe server first? We run a fe be environment, and are considering sp2 soon. We installed it on our test enviroment on our be server first just the other day. We have yet to install on the fe. Im curious about this. Thanks!

Don't ask why. It's what Microsoft reccomends in the installation notes :p

Actually, if you install it on the BE first, OWA won't work properly until it's installed on the FE.

Installed it, everything went smooth but I was upset to see it doesn't have the Remote Wipe in it yet. But no devices out have the FP to use it yet I guess, so it doesn't really matter yet.

I'm hesitant.

Still haven't updated to Server 2k3 SP1 yet. :( I'm really digging the ACE stuff I saw in the release notes though.

Don't think I'll be touching on this just yet.

OldPueblo said:
Do it on a Friday afternoon. :D

Yeah that's when everyone else starts major projects, lol. Friday at 5pm means time to upgrade your mail servers, add a few servers, remove a few routers, pull some cabling, etc.

I ended up having to upgrade Monday morning when I came in and found our database had grown a lot over the weekend.

Havn't had any issues yet, seems to be running good.

Was a quick and easy install.

TECHKnight said:
I'm just waiting for you to get down here to help :D

I might just do that, I think you know exchange more then I do but it'd be good experience to watch SP2 go in. I'll bring the soda if you bring the snacks. We'll have a great time and... and... I love you.

The [H] is all about the love. Let's make it a three-some cuz I love you guys too!

Back