exchange on windows mobile

i have tried with 2 different windows mobile phones, one blackjack, and one t-mobile wing to get them to connect to an exchange server with no success. I am just wondering if there is anything i am missing, and how they work. it asks for the address that the OWA uses which seems kind of odd.. on one of the servers we are using rcp / https the other one they connect via vpn when the use it remotely.

Mobile devices that use windows OS's acces email via OWA so you need to input the owa web addy then the user name and password.
IMO such a terrible waste of manpower vs something integrated like blackberry

On the exchange server, does your user account have all the options set for DirectPush?
(User Initiated Sync, and Up-toDate notifications in the Exchange features tab of Active Directory users and computers)

also, does the exchange server require SSL, and if so, do you have an actual cert or a self-signed cert?

We are running Exchange 2k3 with a self-signed cert and WinMo devices don't seem to like that.

Mobile devices that use windows OS's acces email via OWA so you need to input the owa web addy then the user name and password.

Bad answer

Is activesync enabled on the exchange server?

we use a self-signed cert... and i am pretty sure that is the problem. is there a way to put the cert onto the phone?

i will double check the exchange server, everything in active directory for those users seems right, but i don't know wher else to check...

we use a self-signed cert... and i am pretty sure that is the problem. is there a way to put the cert onto the phone?

i will double check the exchange server, everything in active directory for those users seems right, but i don't know wher else to check...

i had to use a real ssl for https on the windows mobile

How the hell is the blackberry service integrated? You have to install extra software which really needs to be on a different box then exchange(unless you are using less then 15 users and they still don't recomend it), you can't have outlook on said box, etc where windows mobile works with exchange out of the box? I say this loving my blackberry too. Hell I'm getting ready to deploy are new exchange server and will be setting up a blackberry server with it.

Also blackberry server really gets pissy if you try to load it on an sbs box although the new version is suspose to be better(pro or whatever they are calling it now).

Anyway self signed certs have yet to really screw up a mobile phone sync for me yet. Issue might be with them but I'm thinking it is elcewhere.

Blackberry may require an extra box to run on, but BB Enterprise Server is almost bulletproof. I run it at several client sites- flawless. Also, at one running push mail to a Palm running WM5 (only to a couple users that wanted their precious Palms- rest of firm on BES), it's a POS. Yes, certs can be an issue if self-signed with some devices, but you can install the certs directly onto the device and eliminate the problem.

blackberry express is actually free. they have a promotion to sign up and you get the software and 1 cal for a device, but if you sign up another email address you get another cal that can be used in the software.

im running blackberry express server with 2 blackberries at my office, its great =)

As far as Exchange and WinMobile, it gets much better with Exchange 2007 SP1 and WM6. They definately have improved the syncing and management options with difference sync policies able to be applied to different groups of users, etc. Being able to force encryption of the phone and storage card is nice too. Yes BES has had these features for awhile now, but it seems at my work WM is the prefered platform: (3 WM6, 3 WM6, 1 BlackBerry Pearl [user is going to buy HTC Touch soon], and 1 iPhone).

Yeah Windows Mobile seems to be grabbing some users since last year. I think a main reason is because people are obsessed with phones, and having the greatest phone that has camera, wifi, web browsing, chat, media playing etc. Those Win Mobile devices have much more toy/gadgets then any Blackberry could. I always have said that Blackberry is straight to the point business as you pretty much only have your Contacts, Calendar, Email, Tasks as opposed to more of a toy like hte iPhone and stuff are.

If you have SSL required for you OWA page you will need to create a new virtual dir to get push email to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379

Ding ding!

This is what I had to do with the Self-Signed certs and our WinMo setup.

It's a bit of a pain, but if you don't want (or are budget limited) to get a real SSL Cert this will work ok. (not as secure, but then once you get it working perhaps you can push for real certs if you have a large WinMo user base)

And don't get me started on BES

how can i put a self-signed cert onto a windows mobile device? i really need to be able to get my hands on one for a day or so.. rather than trying to get one running for 30 minutes and then having to give up because i have other places to go, etc...

As far as Exchange and WinMobile, it gets much better with Exchange 2007 SP1 and WM6. They definately have improved the syncing and management options with difference sync policies able to be applied to different groups of users, etc. Being able to force encryption of the phone and storage card is nice too. Yes BES has had these features for awhile now, but it seems at my work WM is the prefered platform: (3 WM6, 3 WM6, 1 BlackBerry Pearl [user is going to buy HTC Touch soon], and 1 iPhone).

Direct Push is a notification feature in Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 that improves the user experience for users who have a Pocket PC or smartphone. This feature is available on Pocket PCs and smartphones that are running Windows Mobile 5.0 and the Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP). By default, Direct Push is installed on Exchange Server 2003 SP2. Mobile devices that support Direct Push issue an HTTPS request to the Exchange server that asks Exchange Server to report any new or changed e-mail messages, calendar, contact, and task items. If changes occur within the lifespan of the HTTPS request, the Exchange server issues a response to the device that includes which folders have new or changed items. The device then issues a synchronization request to the server. After synchronization is complete, a new HTTPS request is generated to re-start the process. This ensures that the mobile device is always synchronized with the Exchange server.

i'm sure that works well, but i don't see how the battery life can even compare to a blackberry with it keeping https sessions open all the time... that is bb's advantage over everything else.

Ding ding!

It's a bit of a pain, but if you don't want (or are budget limited) to get a real SSL Cert this will work ok. (not as secure, but then once you get it working perhaps you can push for real certs if you have a large WinMo user base)

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a real cert to SSL encrypt your webmail and activesync traffic. You can get a cert from GoDaddy for $20 per year, or $18 per year if you pay upfront for 2+ years... GoDaddy certs are issued from Starfield, which is a trusted cert authority within WM5 and WM6, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc etc.

I'd say that's cheap enough, even for the smallest of companies, to encrypt their webmail and activesync traffic.

HTH

i'm sure that works well, but i don't see how the battery life can even compare to a blackberry with it keeping https sessions open all the time... that is bb's advantage over everything else.
Ding-ding double ding..... Yep- sucks em down quickly. It's really the biggest issue with push IMO. The users get so sick and tired of the dismal battery life, they end up switching back to timed pollin. LOL- OMA has done that forever. BB's rule.

Back