Exchange Forwarding to Outside?

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I currently have a public folder set up on my Exchange 2003 Server. I created an e-mail address on our domain that drops incoming messages into this folder. The e-mail address is in use by CareerBuilder, and so far, anytime someone applies to our job listing, their application comes in to this folder just fine, as intended.

I followed some instructions online to create a contact (our external HR rep), and have any message in this folder forwarded to him, based on the delivery options of the folder (not through a rule).

Here's the problem. Any message sent to [email protected] goes to this public folder, and off to him. However, any message coming from CareerbBuilder does not. Is it possible that this forwarding only works for internal e-mails? Meaning, since I send it from my e-mail address on the company.com domain, it will be forwarded, but since the CareerBuilder messages are from the outside, they cannot be forwarded back to the outside? I'm at a loss here, since any message I send to this public folder makes it out to the HR rep.

I'm a bit confused... Your thread title is for Exchange forwarding messages to the outside, the first paragraph says that anyone can e-mail this and it works as intended, then your last paragraph says that (and I hope I'm reading this correctly) everyone except CareerBuilder e-mails can hit the [email protected] address. Could you clarify this?

Also... You may want to move this to the "Networking and Security" forum. Probably a lot more Exchange admins monitoring that board, so the greater exposure may yield faster solutions.

I'd be all for it, if a mod chooses to move this to a better topic.

To attempt to clarify, I set up an e-mail address [email protected]. Any messages sent to this address go into a public folder on my exchange server, and then are supposed to hve a copy of the messages forwarded to an outside consultant's e-mail address. I added him as a contact in my Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. If I send a test e-mail to [email protected], my message goes into the public folder and also is forwarded on to this external consultant. This works great, and is exactly what I intended.

Now, we gave out the address, [email protected] to CareerBuilder. Anytime somene applies to our job listing, their application comes in to my public folder, but is not sent out to the external contact. Once again, if I send a test message to [email protected], it is delivered to both destinations as intended....just not anything from CareerBuilder.

I'm wondering if my forwarding configuration only works for messages on the same domain. I guess I can test this by sending a message from my home, personal account to [email protected] to see if it is delivered in both locations. What I'm asking though, is if this is a limitation/restriction on auto-forwarding, to only do so for messages on the same internal domain as the mail server. I don't understand why I can send a test message, and have it work properly, but the e-mails from CareerBuilder are not being delivered to both destinations.

Back