Exchange Domain and Catalog Servers

Soldier101

Gawd
Right now I have a Exchange 2007 server that for some reason only sees the original DC. Which is a 2000 box I'm trying to remove. How do I make the exchange server move to a new domain controller (I have one named phobos) so that I can decommission the original.

When I turn the original DC off exchange dies as a whole.

My exchange 2003 box lets me manually configure the domain controller server and GC server in system manager but it is uneditable in exchange 2007

Check the Event Logs on the Exchange server that has the Hub Transport installed.

Source: MSExchangeADAccess
Event ID: 2080

It will list what DC's are GC capable. The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service automatically modifies which DC's it uses depending on availability.

(Server name | Roles | Enabled | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable | PDC | SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version)
In-site:
CHAMBER1.domainnamehere.com CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
PHOBOS.domainnamehere.com CDG 1 7 7 1 0 0 1 7 1
File.domainnamehere.com CDG 1 7 7 1 0 0 1 7 1

If I turn Chamber1 off......exchange dies, it wont find the next one :-( I want to completely remove chamber1 from the domain...phobos is the one i want to be the server exchange looks at for ad stuff

I have tried to find ways to get SACL Right enabled on phobos but it just isn't working

Last edited:
It appears that phobos is GC enabled according to the topology service. I would try to turn off chamber1 and restart that service.

Interesting. I'm at a loss. Since you are decommissioning the chamber1 server, have you moved your FSMO roles to phobos?

If phobos is the Infrastructure Master is it still set to be a GC?

According to Active Directory Users and Computers it is.

I have been slowing reducing the number of servers in the environment. We had 9 before. now the only one left that is old is the Chamber1, file and phobos are new 2008 machines that are replacing all the previous ones. File and Phobos are both listed as GC's and are in the domain controller OU (placed there via DCPROMO) and have DNS services running. All computers look to them.

Chamber1 is being a pain though since chamberexchange is looking to it for active directory stuff haha

If I turn off chamber1, chamberexchange stops responding and email goes down. I tried to reboot chamberexchange after turning chamber1 off and all it did was lock up on saving settings. Force rebooted it and it locked up on applying settings.

What happens if you do a DCPromo on Chamber1 to remove it from the domain?

no where near wanting to do that. I'm assuming it will break the same way it does whenever it is turned off.

Is Chamber1 your primary domain controller? Have you moved that role to the new server yet?

Chamber1 was the main domain controller. I moved all FSMO roles to phobos though. I know how to remove a domain controller. My main fear is the fact that the guy that was in my role before me didn't install exchange right (been fixing things behind him for six months now) and that if I follow proper protocol it might not work. I have done everything to make this domain controller get out of the loop minus dcpromo.

Exchange is SUPPOSED to move to the next DC if the DC it is using goes down (that is how we found out things weren't right)

Remove GC from phobos which you stated before is the Infrastructure Master. They can't live together on the same box. Then make server file a GC.

Remove GC from phobos which you stated before is the Infrastructure Master. They can't live together on the same box. Then make server file a GC.

Removed GC from phobos and now it is simply listed as a DC.....problem still exists.Chamber1 and file are already GC's

Maybe the last admin hard coded the DC's. Open Exchange Powershell and run this command.

get-exchangeserver -identity (exchange server name) -status | fl

Look at the static settings for DC and GC

Maybe the last admin hard coded the DC's. Open Exchange Powershell and run this command.

get-exchangeserver -identity (exchange server name) -status | fl

Look at the static settings for DC and GC

That was actually the first thing I checked whenever I realized it wasn't switching properly. :-( Thanks for all the advice and help man...this thing is driving me crazy. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it.

That's all I got without actually being there. Scrub the Event Logs is my last suggestion.

It might be time to bite the bullet, pony up the cash, and call MS. If you get it resolved, please post the fix. Id' be curious to know.

Back