Exchange crashing in the last couple of days?

Spartacus

2[H]4U
I have a 2003 Server/2003 Exchange box crashing on me. It normally runs like a Swiss watch until Symantec Mail Security goes and changes something. The event logs are a clusterfvck and I'm trying to figure it out. Last time and only other time this happened was when the Symantec Premium Spam module in Symantec Mail Security had a script problem that would crash Exchange on certain e-mails.

Anybody else seeing this in the last couple of days?

can you stop the symantec services independently and see if it stops crashing exchange?

Event logs say the box did MS Updates last night and rebooted itself. It looks like the Exchange Information Store and Attendant never came up properly after that. I just rebooted it (remotely) and we'll see if it comes up normally.

I automatically suspect Symantec on this because of their script that kept crashing the server last time. It may be an MS update this time though. It's like friggin' CSI sometimes trying to track down why it's happening.....

Good idea.

That's the next step if it crashes again. That's how I found out what it was last time.

Well that's usually my process; stop all extraneous services and see what happens.

Sometimes what I do is save my event logs then clear them, so I can see exactly what entries are put in, and when. (This may not be something you'd want to do, just a suggestion though)

Well that's usually my process; stop all extraneous services and see what happens.

Sometimes what I do is save my event logs then clear them, so I can see exactly what entries are put in, and when. (This may not be something you'd want to do, just a suggestion though)

Great minds..... :) yep that sounds like my train of thought too. Sometimes I like a fresh start on the logs so I have a better reference on the current situation.

The server restarted ok, only took 4 minutes since Exchange was down anyway.

Everything came up ok, but I kept seeing Symantec warnings that it was "Unable to virus scan this message..." and that it would "do it later". I'm wondering if it builds up a metric crapload of those un-scanable messages and then chokes. I'm also seeing a LOT of virus def updates too, so maybe this is something Symantec is aware of. Anyway, I temporarily disabled virus scanning on e-mails (not the service though) and we'll see if that keeps Exchange happy. The desktops all have active AV so it shouldn't be a major problem.

Friggin' Symantec is going to make me tear it out and go with something else soon.....

Back