Exchange attachment filter...how to remove one

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
II've had my Exchange 2003 system set up for some time now, and never really had the need to send an EXE file yet. Yesterday, a user tries to, and gets the undeliverable message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: MONKIES!
Sent: 8/3/2005 9:55 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 8/3/2005 9:56 AM
The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force
<servername.mycompany.com #5.7.0 smtp;552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment 23si355467nzn>

I know this is some default security policy, as I haven't changed anything that has to do with outgoing messages. It would seem the SMTP server is becoming Skynet and able to scan inside my zipped attachments now...when I know for a fact, that SMTP is historically pretty stupid.

Any help?

have them rename the .exe file to .ex. I would not remove the policy as its there for a reason

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't remove that its there for a purpose!

Have the user zip the file and send it in an archived format.

phreakpiercer said:
NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't remove that its there for a purpose!

Have the user zip the file and send it in an archived format.

Zipping the file does no good, and neither does putting the file in a RAR. We've jsut put the file on the website for a secure download, so I'm not that worried about it, but I want to know where these policies are now. I cant seem to find them anywhere in the Exchange admin tool.

I am 100% sure there is no third party filters installed. I installed the server, and its our only one.

Did you check the send/receive limits? I know it's sort of a long shot.

That NDR record is weird because it almost seems to be a catch-all.

Back