exchange archiving solution?

rhofford

n00b
Need a way to pull mail out of excahnge at the server level as im sick of dealing bloated pst files on dvd. I've read some reviews on the GFI product and a few others. Im wondering if there is a easy way to do it without 3rd party software? exmerge maybe? or maybe someone can give me a suggestion on 3rd party software.

Thanks

So...you're looking for a backup solution?

ntbackup

For something a bit more permanent, you can invest in real backup software like BackupExec, ArcServe, et cetera.

Exmerge will pull e-mails from any mailbox or mailbox enabled user to a .pst file.

Veritas/Symantec Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange
EMC Emailextender.

However both are geared for the enterprise.... both in cost and deployment.

Don't know of anything smaller.

Good luck.

sorry should have clarified more, i use veritas for backups, tapes rotate on a weekly schedule so there is no option for long term fucking archiving, gfi mailachriver exports it to a sql database which would make for a easy dvdr backup solution right, i thought maybe someone knew how to grab mail from each user mailbox easily.

thanks

rhofford said:
sorry should have clarified more, i use veritas for backups, tapes rotate on a weekly schedule so there is no option for long term fucking archiving, gfi mailachriver exports it to a sql database which would make for a easy dvdr backup solution right, i thought maybe someone knew how to grab mail from each user mailbox easily.

thanks

Read up on Exmerge. It may do what you want.

exmerge will do it, its a hassle i thought there was a better way that i automate and be able to retrieve the mail semi easily after that

hmm....a bit complicated but....

Setup the store to archive all messages to a mailbox, use any sort of pop3 e-mail reader to download from that mailbox and save as any format (multiple ways to do this) or forward to gmail account.

rhofford said:

thanks
You're using tapes for your backup medium but yet you don't store even a monthly copy elsewhere? The option for "long term fucking archiving" is there, maybe you didn't realize it?

rhofford said:
exmerge will do it, its a hassle i thought there was a better way that i automate and be able to retrieve the mail semi easily after that

If you're using Veritas, you should know that it does brick-level backup if you have the appropriate agent installed. It's stupidly simple, and I know it's been capable of doing such a thing since version 8.x

Even then, with ntbackup on 2003 and the recovery storage group, it should be a snap to restore someone's older mailbox. Recover a tape from six months ago, mount the correct store to the recovery storage group, exmerge it out to a .pst, then go from there.

This GFI mailarchiver stuff sounds like you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

I work for a company that does e-mail archiving, but I won't promote it (unless one of you PM's me or a bunch of you want it).

What's your budget?

scientificTHEgreat said:
our company uses arcserv
it has a nice easy interface to it

Until it breaks, then you'll be in hell. Not to thread crap, but I ran away from ArcServe a few years ago, never felt better about a decision. BackupExec is my current choice.

i could use veritas on tape to archive however i want a LIVE and easily accessible method of retreiving the mail.

the pop3 client is a good idea, however pst and dbx(h8) are bloated as hell

rhofford said:
i could use veritas on tape to archive however i want a LIVE and easily accessible method of retreiving the mail.

It would really help if you told us *exactly* what your requirements and what you are trying to accomplish.

Back