Exchange 2007

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
Now I'm know I'm an old fart, often resistant to change...but man...E2K7...why did they have to change so much! So stuck in the Exch 5.5/2K/2K3 methods..which really didn't change all that much over time.

Renewing certificates this morning after 1 year....gotta drop to that wonky console. :p

Other peeps that work with Exchange...what's your take? I guess maybe since I focus on single Exchange server SMB setups....some new stuff they added really benefits enterprise level more? //scratches head

I feel the same, not about being an old fart tho =p

BES with Exchange 07, its like console this console that, setting limits all console

I found prior exchange lot easier, but o well.

still pushing sbs 03 instead of 08 not just because of exchange 07.

The powershell integration rocks. The console is a pile of crap though. It is like they skipped so many of the common tasks that force you to use powershell that it is just silly. Exchange 2010 looks like it will fix most of that.

Exchange 07 is definitely much better and much more feature rich than its predecesors. They did leave out a lot of console tasks pre-SP1 but they added a lot in with SP1.

Great, don't tell me that. I'm about to switch from 2003 to 2007 (SP1). I hope it's not TOO different.

I'm not that fussed either way. I like the powershell integration and it can be quite useul for automating things but if you're 100% gui you'll struggle to do a lot of things.

There's more to bitch about than powershell even though I don't mind it to much.

Certificates for webmail and autodiscover is pure crap. Lots of companies don't have the money for a unified communications cert. So now your left exposing two public ip's and have two regular certs.

The replacement for rus is terrible. They removed the normal ad lookup scripting language with something that has less function.

And don't get me started on the message tracking center.

On the plus side, ccr is great. Journaling is good but needs more options. Managed folders is a neat feature. 64bit only support and can address more than 4gb of memory.

Great, don't tell me that. I'm about to switch from 2003 to 2007 (SP1). I hope it's not TOO different.

Oh its WAAAAYYYY different lol. Sorry but it is.

Overall, i like it a lot more than 2003, can't wait to see what 2010 will bring to the table

The powershell integration is very good

the certificates aren't an issue. there is a way to use 1 cert for both. Microsoft has all the info in their white papers.

We only purchased one cert, and we got it for under $400 per year. This covers two Exchange servers. Having the cert allow for Outlook Anywhere to be configured and work flawlessly. If you don't do the certificate correctly it will cause Outlook Anywhere to not work reliably.

The differences are huge between 2003 and 2007. I think MS really screwed up on 2007, it is great that they integrated powershell even more, so scripting can be done easily, but they forgot to keep the GUI options for doing a lot of things. Hopefully 2010 will fix that mistake.

the certificates aren't an issue. there is a way to use 1 cert for both. Microsoft has all the info in their white papers.

True but the srv option wasn't always available. Plus you have to make sure the update for Outlook is installed.

They added a few things that were missing in the console when they released the SP1.

Personally, I like Exchange 2007. The only time I've run into certificate issues is when a client purchased a single domain SSL cert and I had to reconfigure a bunch of stuff. All the CLI junk for fixing that is readily available on the intarwebs. Also, the complaint about the UCC certs being expensive is crap. You can buy a 1-year 5 domain UCC cert from godaddy.com for $90. That's enough to cover a single exchange server just dandy.

I'll agree that the message tracking center is a bit wonky. Other than that I don't mind using the CLI even though it takes a bit to get used to. OWA is far superior to what is offered in 2003, the ActiveSync support is much better.

There's more to bitch about than powershell even though I don't mind it to much.

Certificates for webmail and autodiscover is pure crap. Lots of companies don't have the money for a unified communications cert. So now your left exposing two public ip's and have two regular certs.

The replacement for rus is terrible. They removed the normal ad lookup scripting language with something that has less function.

And don't get me started on the message tracking center.

On the plus side, ccr is great. Journaling is good but needs more options. Managed folders is a neat feature. 64bit only support and can address more than 4gb of memory.

GoDaddy has cheap UCC certs. You only need 1 IP and 1 GoDaddy cert. Also, with SBS 2008, you don't even need a UCC cert. It uses an SRV record instead of the autodiscover record. You can get by with simply a standard SSL cert and have everything work right.

Back