Exchange 2007 question....

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I have a guy with several email addresses setup on the server. Is there anyway that we can have something automatically show in the subject line or something else similar so he can tell which email address any one certain email came from??

Thanks,
QJ

You will have to do this on the outlook client. With outlook 2007 its "with specific words in the receipent's address" you can then move it to a folder or whatever you want

Not sure about Exchange... But Outlook should be able to setup a rule that will auto-categorize the email based on the TO field...

I guess it's just showing his Display Name in the To field and it's the same for both?

I just re-checked his Outlook box... and it only says it's going to "So and So" and when you click his name it takes you to the global address book and shows BOTH email addys... there is NO way I can see it Outlook to separate the two addys since they are both assigned to his username on the Exchange.

Any more ideas guys?

You could do separate mailboxes for each address. This should help him differentiate the two accounts. The only downside is that you might have to create another account in AD for the mailbox.

When creating an email rule you can specify the email address for the TO part (Outlook will bring up the address book, just paste/type the email into the very bottom box).

This may help:
Address Book:
outlook-001.jpg

Finished Rule (Auto Category, but you can do other stuff)
outlook-002.jpg

Better?

ya. client side is the easiest way,

make 2 folders

[email protected]
[email protected]

then use the above rule and send the appropriate emails to their folders

now if the Bob email address are both on his machine.... then use the "through specific account" rule in the wizard to seperate them into folders.

Server side ?

i just started with Exc 2007 and it seems like it could do this easily with proper permission, Email policies and such...

All I know is what my Exchange Admin lets me do, which is client side only :)

It does store the rules on the server though, so it pulls them no matter which machine I login through.

Server side ?

i just started with Exc 2007 and it seems like it could do this easily with proper permission, Email policies and such...

I have been working with it since before SP1. The mail side transport rules are great, but there are still some things the server side rules cant do. For these (like this one) it must be setup as a rule on the client side **Assuming all email addresses are on one mailbox**

This doesn't seem to be working for whatever reason.... :(

We made the rule, but I must be "doing it wrong" so to speak.....

On the Exchange machine, I just went into his username and right-click, then selected "email addresses" and clicked "add" and added the new email address of "[email protected]"

I "think" this is where the problem lies. What is the correct way of doing this??

Can you post the rule you made for him? Screenshots always help
Doesn't sound like he's made a rule yet.

This doesn't seem to be working for whatever reason.... :(

We made the rule, but I must be "doing it wrong" so to speak.....

On the Exchange machine, I just went into his username and right-click, then selected "email addresses" and clicked "add" and added the new email address of "[email protected]"

I "think" this is where the problem lies. What is the correct way of doing this??
So this guy actually NEEDS two email addresses? The question I'd say is WHY but there's no technically WRONG ways of doing this, I'd just question the need of doing it in the first place.
Basically the server will see both of those email addys on that guy's account and send the mail to the Exchange box. You still need client-side rules to seperate them out.

Perhaps telling us what the purpose of using two email addresses will be might solve the issue best.

Back