Exchange 2007 backups?

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I am wondering what everyone is using to backup their Exchange2007 servers?? I see that NTBackup is no longer bundled, but can be 'hacked' to make work....

Another other solutions out there?? I am willing to pay something, but don't wanna rob the bank either...

Thanks!

We use Tivoli Storage Manager. With Exchange 2007 and a recent client (6.0 maybe?), it supports individual mailbox restores. Previously, you had to restore the whole mailstore just to get one mailbox. The new version seems to restore the whole thing temporarily, but it's done in the background and you get just the mailbox you requested.

Sorry for not having a lot of detail, but luckily we haven't had to use it much yet.

P.S. I hate their Processor Value Unit (PVU) licensing crap. Nothing like having to know the exact model of CPU you have, then multiply it by the number of cores it has, to get some arbitrary number that they base pricing on.

We've been using Intronis for granular online backups. You can set the software to backup the whole database as well for a brick level restore.

I assume you're using 2008 because ntbackup works fine on 2003?

If you're on 2008 then you're probably looking at commvault,SCDPM or netbackup. The problem with these option is that they tend to be implimented across a whoel enviroment as opposed to just one server and the licensing can get quite pricey.

I usually just use Symantec BackupExec 12.5 with the Exchange Agent. It can do individual mailboxes and message restores, etc. It's not that expensive, it works most of the time and clients can usually figure it out if they need to.

I usually just use Symantec BackupExec 12.5 with the Exchange Agent. It can do individual mailboxes and message restores, etc. It's not that expensive, it works most of the time and clients can usually figure it out if they need to.
Same here, except we're on BE 11d, works great though with the exchange agent

We have our mailboxes on a NetApp and I'm told we just use the SnapShot feature.

I hope you're talking about SnapManager for Exchange? Do you take anything off-site at all? sheesh, better hope that SAN never gets caught in a flood or burns or something . . .

Thats what we use and personally I'm not a fan of it. Backup exec causes me way too many headachs. We have clients running veratas 10 through symantec 12.5.

we are using intronis online backup, does individual mailboxes and stuff

I'm using a third-party service... I can restore individual MESSAGES if I want to, all while current server remains running (It's like virtualizing the backup server, and being able to drag messages into the production box). But it ain't cheap.

I've used TrueImage before if you aren't wanting to do a managed service, the triple buffer means you can get sector by sector backups with the OS still running. Very slick.

Thats what we use and personally I'm not a fan of it. Backup exec causes me way too many headachs. We have clients running veratas 10 through symantec 12.5.

I've found the issues are usually due to it not being configured correctly or some other service/application messing with the BackupExec services. I hate Symantec as much as the next guy, but I can honestly say that I haven't had an issue with 12.5 since I started using it and that's on about 15 different servers right now. Now, 10 and 10d sucked and that was a constant nightmare.....

I'm using a third-party service... I can restore individual MESSAGES if I want to, all while current server remains running (It's like virtualizing the backup server, and being able to drag messages into the production box). But it ain't cheap.

I've used TrueImage before if you aren't wanting to do a managed service, the triple buffer means you can get sector by sector backups with the OS still running. Very slick.

^^^ I support his method

^^^ I support his method

I really do like it (one less thing I have to worry about, having it managed), just not cheap.
To do the same thing on your own you'd have to pay for two beefy internet connections, two locations (all the costs associated with that- electricity, cooling, rent, etc), two servers to maintain, and then probably one person dedicated to verifying the backups as their job....

Another option is to use WS2008's Windows Server Backup (ntbackup's replacement). You have to use it with a command line to only backup your information stores to a remote location, but it works for the SMB companies that can't afford Symantec or DPM. DPM also cannot give you offsite snapshots on a portable hard drive, you have to have tapes or another DPM server at an offsite location to replicate data. Not always an option for SMBs, especially non-profits.

You have to have installed Exchange 2007 SP2 for Windows Server Backup to work, but that's the only requirement.

If you have all of your storage groups on drive D: of the Exchange server and want the backup copied to a server called Backup, the following command line works:

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:"\\backup\backup raw" -include:d: -vssFull -quiet

with intronis you can restore messages while server is running with no downtime and its offsite and secure.

you need to become a reseller first, sell it at whatever you like, according to intronis most people sell at 3 bucks a gig up to 8 bucks a gig.

gives good compression

You have to have installed Exchange 2007 SP2 for Windows Server Backup to work, but that's the only requirement.

If you have all of your storage groups on drive D: of the Exchange server and want the backup copied to a server called Backup, the following command line works:

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:"\\backup\backup raw" -include:d: -vssFull -quiet

Holy Crap! You mean they finally fixed it?? I had just written off Windows Server Backup to do Exchange 2007 backups after I found out the hard way it didn't work anymore after it first came out...

Not sure what I'll be settling on for 07....for 03 I usually had on SBS, so I just used SBS native backup, which works well. Matter of fact today I had to restore a users inbox that she mistakingly deleted last week while on the phone. Worked well.

DPM also cannot give you offsite snapshots on a portable hard drive,

It can with an addon program that allows it to see USB drives as tapes. I think it's called firestreamer.

Back