Exchange 2003 archiving

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
Whats a good software package to Archive email to a NAS? Minimal user interaction is is a must.

Thanks

What are the end users using? Outlook 2003/2007 ?

We use Symantec Enterprise Vault. It adds a plugin to the Outlook 2003/2007 client and to OWA. The end-user can archive his/her e-mails -- it uses LDAP integration.

You can even set a policy so that it auto-archives e-mails for users after a specific time (like after 6 months, old e-mails get archived but not the new ones).

Only had one problem with it, and it was due to a bug in the the product which was fixed:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318022.htm

What are the end users using? Outlook 2003/2007 ?

We use Symantec Enterprise Vault. It adds a plugin to the Outlook 2003/2007 client and to OWA. The end-user can archive his/her e-mails -- it uses LDAP integration.

You can even set a policy so that it auto-archives e-mails for users after a specific time (like after 6 months, old e-mails get archived but not the new ones).

Only had one problem with it, and it was due to a bug in the the product which was fixed:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318022.htm

I'm only looking at 15 mailbox's here, Symantech enterpise vault will be over $5K for software and setup. Looking for something a little more small business friendly

in a large environment, EV sucks. But that could also be due to the hardware it's running on, I don't know all the background info..

we used to use EAS/Zantaz and it worked well. But seeing as how that's the "enterprise" side of things at work, I don't know much about it except what the end-user would see.

Barracuda Networks offers a message archiver. I don't know much about this product but I do have their Spam Firewall 300. The product and support is top notch.

Barracuda Networks offers a message archiver. I don't know much about this product but I do have their Spam Firewall 300. The product and support is top notch.

The Barracuda mail archiver is 2500 bucks + 500/year for updates. Not gonna happen for a 15 man shop.

I run their spamfilter hosted for clients, hardware is crap but it filters alright

The Barracuda mail archiver is 2500 bucks + 500/year for updates. Not gonna happen for a 15 man shop.

I run their spamfilter hosted for clients, hardware is crap but it filters alright

Then use Outlooks auto archive to a PST file on the NAS. It's free.

I have a hard time believing you’re going to find a software package to do this as cheaply as you want.

Then use Outlooks auto archive to a PST file on the NAS. It's free.

I have a hard time believing you’re going to find a software package to do this as cheaply as you want.

Im not looking for cheap, i'm looking for resonable. Asking a 15 user lawyers office to spend a minimum of $2500 to archive email would go over like a lead balloon.

Sub 1k is a good price point for that size office. I don't think that is unresonable.

Impose a mailbox size limit and educate users on Archiving anything of importance to PST or deleting it. Although, this is a law office, I would think that document preservation was somewhat important...

Impose a mailbox size limit and educate users on Archiving anything of importance to PST or deleting it. Although, this is a law office, I would think that document preservation was somewhat important...

It is, thats why i want it to be seemless to the end user, the reason for this is they WANT to implement mailbox quota's but need some kind of archiving solution

Im not looking for cheap, i'm looking for resonable. Asking a 15 user lawyers office to spend a minimum of $2500 to archive email would go over like a lead balloon.

Sub 1k is a good price point for that size office. I don't think that is unresonable.

You won't find that. These solutions are built for 15 mailbox organizations as the number of customers in that size looking is very, very small. Usually customers that ask us about email archive are at least 200 to 300 mailboxes in size. Under that and it's just easier to manage email in the Exchange database.

You won't find that. These solutions are built for 15 mailbox organizations as the number of customers in that size looking is very, very small. Usually customers that ask us about email archive are at least 200 to 300 mailboxes in size. Under that and it's just easier to manage email in the Exchange database.

That GFI mail archiver is per mailbox, thats really what i'm looking for, i'm gonna be testing it out shortly, gotta get a test environment up

Back