Exchange 2000 and automatic NDRs...

ShrewLWD

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I'm running Exch2000 in a Win2000 domain (AD enabled).
As you know, most viruses and spam fake the TO: and FROM: field.
What I'm getting is boatloads of SMTP queues trying to send NDR's to sites that don't exist, and because the recipient no longer works for the company.
I've lowered the retry intervals as much as I can so they don't queue up for days, but is there a way to have Exchange just drop an email for an ex-employee, without sending the NDR? Or have it at least do a reverse DNS check, and drop the email if the FROM: turns out to not exist?

Go to http://www.vamsoft.com and buy ORF (Open Relay Filter). Don't bother with the demo BUY it.

This will let you block (among other things) all emails addressed to non-existant AD uesrs.

You can also add blacklist blocking and more.

Well worth the $99.

I run it at work on an Exchange 2000 server and I'm seeing 75-85% of all incoming mail blocked as spam...and I've looked at the logs, etc and it's legit. Tons of stuff addressed to AD users we no longer have, etc. We had users that would get over 100 spam emails a day that are now down to 5 or so daily.

Note you can whitelist senders/IPs, etc to be sure email from trusted sources is never blocked.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but it's a great little piece of software if you are running Exchange 2000. It will do what you want and more

Back