Excel question

nomak

Limp Gawd
Looking for a way to keep better track of jobs that we get where I work.. For example we will build a new tool, then later on do an change or possibly repair on the tool itself.. Well over a years time we may put 5 different repair numbers on this tool different from our original new build tool number. Was curious if theres a way to keep track of all these numbers using excel or something and if so how..Wanting to be able to get a repair number and have some way of referencing it back to the new tool number and if any other repair numbers that may have been assigned to this tool in the past.. thanks..

Rick

I think you'd need to record the tool number and the repair number every time you made a repair. You could do that in two separate columns: one for the tool number, and one for the repair number. That way when you need to pull up a repair number, you filter your data for that repair number and you've got the tool number (the same would work in reverse as well; filter for the tool number and you'd get all the repairs for it). I would do that in a database, but you can do the same thing in Excel if that's where you're most comfortable.

Back