Excel help - conditional formatting

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a conditional formatting rule for Excel.

Basically, I have several columns for grades of a test.

Column A - # Wrong (this is entered by me)
Column B - Number right (basic formula - based on Column A)
Column C - Percentage (Basic formula - based on column B)

So basically I go through and enter the number wrong and the other columns pop up the correct numbers. I have all the rows of each column configured correctly, but I want to hide/blank Columns B and C until the number is entered into the respective Column A.

So lets say A1, B1, C1.

I want to have the fomulas in B1-B30 and C1-C30 ready (simple to drag from B1 to B30 and C1 to C30), but I don't want any info there. I want those columns blank until I enter the number is A1-A30.

Is this possible? Am I even making any sense? I think I'm starting to confuse myself.

Just take your formula, and then wrap it in an IF() statement where the test condition is "A1 is not blank" (or whatever row you're on).

I've got it somewhat figured out.

I can use the +ISBLANK formula to say that if sell A1 is blank, then cell B1 should be formatted a particular way.

However.... that's just formatting. I can, for instance, turn the text white so I don't see anything, but technically the number is still there.

Is there some way to hide/make the number or formula ineffective until A1 is filled?
Thanks.

Just take your formula, and then wrap it in an IF() statement where the test condition is "A1 is not blank" (or whatever row you're on).

Hey, sweet!

Got it figured out after that.

Correct formula is:

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),,59-A1)

Thanks for the help!

I've been looking around quite a bit and I have a similar question about conditional formatting. Is there a way to say if this cell is green add it to the total. If the cell indicated is not green then it would not add it to the sum. Any ideas?

That sound a bit harder/more impossible to do.
Generally, you would make a rule that states "If the data in this cell is X, make it green." If you need to add it to the total, then you could make another statement like "=IF(Cell(X),do this,or do this)"

Not sure how to make the IF statement check for color, though.

Back