Excel cell counting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asian Fury

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a giant spreadsheet full of data and I'm trying to generate some statistics on it.

Is there anyway to count comma's within an individual cell?

Situation:
some cells have 1 piece of data and no commas
e.g. data1

some cells have 2 pieces of data separated by a comma
e.g. data1, data2

some cells have 3 pieces of data separated by commas
e.g. data1, data2, data3

is there a function that will count the number of commas within a single cell so I can determine instances of singles, doubles and triples?

Are there any other ways to count the number of data pieces within a cell besides my hypothetical method?

Thanks in advance for any help!

D

Googling around on this one turned up:

Code:
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+1

from here. More info here from MS.

LEN counts the characters in a cell and SUBSTITUTE replaces all the occurrences of given character with another character. By nesting SUBSTITUTE within LEN, Excel counts the characters left over AFTER substituting a comma with a blank space. Thus, the (total length of characters in a cell) - (total length of characters in a cell after removing the commas) = (number of commas in the cell). You add one in this case to signify the extra data after the comma.

Didn't know about the SUBSTITUTE function so I learned something today. I'm unaware if this applies to Office 2010.

Last edited:
Thanks for researching it arkamw! I didn't know about the substitute function either, very interesting.

I played around with the different functions and ultimately figured out a way to count a specified numbers of commas. I used:

=COUNTIF(Master!L2:L170,"*,*") to count cells with multiple pieces of data
=COUNTIF(Master!L2:L170,"*,* *,*") to count triples
and subtracted the two to get the number of doubles.

Another question for all you excel people out there.

If column A has data and column B has associated dates, is there a function to read the data in column A and if a certain data comes up, copy the column b value into a new cell/worksheet?

Situation:
Worksheet 1
Column A Column B
data1 1/1/11
data2 1/2/11
data3 12/15/10
data1 12/25/10
data1 2/28/11

I'd like worksheet 2 to end up looking like this:
Column A Column B
data1 1/1/11
data1 12/25/10
data1 2/28/11

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

D

*** After looking through Excel help, I'm basically looking to retrieve multiple entries, similar to the DGET function but returning multiple entries. Can this be done?

Last edited:
Man, that's a little more difficult. Personally, I'd go at it with a macro, but this website might help you out.

You'll have to do some playing around to get the sheets correct, but it looks like pretty much what you need.

First, let me apologize for replying to a semi-dated thread. This did help me out with my project that I am working on. What I am looking to accomplish is a basic income/debt chart. I do not think the "goal seek" function will work for me. Does anyone have a list of excel functions that may help with the basics? What I want to be displayed is the running lists of our bills offset by my income. My income changes weekly based on OT and side free-lancing work. I want to be able to see my total debt dwindle away. It is a work in progress. Thanks in advance...

Please don't bump old threads, it's fine to start a new thread if you want to discuss your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back