EVO vs iPhone 4

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
Thinking about picking one up and need to hear from users that has both.

I have been playing with Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and iPhone OS4. This is my first time using the iPhone and I always hear people say the Android OS is smoother and snappier than the iPhone OS, overall a true iphone killer. Thats all bullshit, i've been playing with the android on the Nexus One (1ghz snap dragon). To my experience, the iPhone OS has been the fastet and smoothest. Even my gf's 3GS is smoother than these. I am kind of interested in picking up an EVO as a work phone (company has Sprint). All EVO owners are saying that the Android OS is 10 light years far ahead of the iPhone 4 in hardware by speed and smoothness of the screen. I want to see this for myself. Should I get the EVO as a second phone?

IMG_2190.jpg

Here is the new Microsim compared to the old sim if anyone is curious.
IMG_2172.jpg

Last edited:
If you can afford it and really want too there is no harm. I'll say I am eager to get my hands on the iPhone 4. I've played with an X10 and it's faster than my 3G. I've played with the Moto Droid when I was last in the states and that was certainly faster then my 3G iPhone by a mile. Smoother as well.

"Smoothness" is subjective, you might think iOS is "smoother" due to its rounded transition effects and physics, but there are people that prefer Android's simplicity and nimbleness.

Honestly, the Evo/Nexus 1 is pretty much on par with the iPhone4 in terms of hardware, all three boasting an 1Ghz Cortex + 512MB RAM, so whoever said "Android OS is 10 light years far ahead of the iPhone 4 in hardware" is exaggerating.

But, If you already have the N1, the only point to get a Evo is for 4G and the big screen size. The two phones should give an very similar user experience with the exception of sense UI on the EVO, which adds some polish and manageability to android. However the Nexus should actually better with Android 2.2, which is a major performance boost compared to 2.1.

Summing it up, if you like big screens and live in a 4G zone, go ahead and get the EVO. If not and you could always look into the Samsung Captivate/ HTC Incredible/ Samsung Vibrant/Motorola Droid X.

This is my first time using the iPhone and I always hear people say the Android OS is smoother and snappier than the iPhone OS, overall a true iphone killer. Thats all bullshit, i've been playing with the android on the Nexus One (1ghz snap dragon). To my experience, the iPhone OS has been the fastet and smoothest. Even my gf's 3GS is smoother than these.

Honestly I've *never* heard anyone say Android is smoother and snappier than iOS. I love Android, and given the choice between iPhone 4 and my Moto Droid, I'd take the Moto Droid every time without hesitation, but there is no way Android is snappier or more responsive than iOS. Android has more power, features, flexibility, and openness. iOS is more responsive, has prettier icons, and currently gets apps first or better versions of apps.

I know they recently proved it's not a hardware limitation, but the evo is currently capped by default at 30fps, which does take a noticeable toll in the smoothness of scrolling, etc. When they fix that it should feel a lot better. Hopefully with 2.2 it will be even faster!

I know they recently proved it's not a hardware limitation, but the evo is currently capped by default at 30fps, which does take a noticeable toll in the smoothness of scrolling, etc. When they fix that it should feel a lot better. Hopefully with 2.2 it will be even faster!

Supposedly there's going to be an OTA update pushed for the Evo on Monday. Maybe it'll fix this bug. If not, if you root your Evo, I know the dev community already fixed this too.

OP, I'm pretty sure you'll experience the same speed/smoothness on the Evo as you see on the N1, given that the core hardware is exactly the same. If you have 2.2 on the Nexus, then it's prolly actually a bit smoother than the Evo since it has the faster JIT compiler running.

Having said this, no, Android UI (on ANY phone) definitely isn't as smooth/fast as the iOS. But I seriously don't see why it matters if you get a constant 60 FPS transitional effect in between apps every time. I'll bet if you switch between apps/menus on Android and iOS on the same time, the difference will be completely negligible. I have my Droid OC'd to 1.1 GHz and though it's still a little laggy sometimes when multitasking, it's not like I'm just sitting there waiting for it to respond/open.

How does the droid compare to the EVO?

Evo has considerably faster hardware than the Droid (biggest diff is 512MB RAM vs. 256MBs, if the Droid is OC'd the CPU will be a little faster clock for clock). But if the Droid is running 2.2, even at stock speeds, it might edge out the Evo in the benches. But since the Evo has more RAM, that's the biggest factor in providing a quick and smooth UI experience.

Last edited:
The smoothness of the UI matters. It's like when you click with your mouse on a regular computer and the effects are delayed or choppy. No one likes that, having to click and hold until the UI recognizes the click, then release.

What's the far right phone from Sprint? I don't think I have ever seen it before.

Edit: Oh nevermind. That's the Pro 2 with Android.

"Smoothness" is subjective, you might think iOS is "smoother" due to its rounded transition effects and physics, but there are people that prefer Android's simplicity and nimbleness.

Honestly, the Evo/Nexus 1 is pretty much on par with the iPhone4 in terms of hardware, all three boasting an 1Ghz Cortex + 512MB RAM, so whoever said "Android OS is 10 light years far ahead of the iPhone 4 in hardware" is exaggerating.

But, If you already have the N1, the only point to get a Evo is for 4G and the big screen size. The two phones should give an very similar user experience with the exception of sense UI on the EVO, which adds some polish and manageability to android. However the Nexus should actually better with Android 2.2, which is a major performance boost compared to 2.1.

Summing it up, if you like big screens and live in a 4G zone, go ahead and get the EVO. If not and you could always look into the Samsung Captivate/ HTC Incredible/ Samsung Vibrant/Motorola Droid X.
It's the little differences.

The Nexus has no proper GPU.

The evo does.

The iPhone 4? Has a better one.

There is nothing in the android stable HARDWARE WISE that can compare to the iPhone 4, so just throw that hat in to it's ring now and get it over with.

Operating system wise, a smooth operating system is best judged by it's home screen, not the apps. The apps are developer controlled.

Now, android has a default homescreen, it is nice. It is functional, and is stable, and does things.

There are also different homescreens on the market XLeezardx, For example, Check out launcher pro. It is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother in execution than the old (Comparing on my Droid, at 550mhz and at 1ghz overclock, transitions on pages, in to the app menu, and other homescreen functions) AND is more functional (Drag and hold apps over the trashcan to uninstall?! SWEET!)

Android is what you make it. Leaving it stock is just silly ;)

All of the latest android phones with the 1Ghz snapdragon (HTC Incredible, EVO) are very snappy and responsive. My HTC Incredible is noticeably faster then my old iPhone 3GS. I'm very impressive with its speed and smoothness.

It's the little differences.

The Nexus has no proper GPU.

The evo does.

The iPhone 4? Has a better one.

There is nothing in the android stable HARDWARE WISE that can compare to the iPhone 4, so just throw that hat in to it's ring now and get it over with.
Where do you get all of this mis-information from?
The Nexus and the Evo have practically the same internals.
The Evo doesn't have any different graphics chip than the Nexus. They're both 1 Ghz Snapdragons w/ AMD Z430 GPUs
The iPhone 4 has the same PowerVR SGX 535 GPU as the iPad and iPhone 3GS with a 1GHZ 45nm ARM Cortex A8 CPU (identical CPU to the one in the Samsung Galaxy S).
Yes, the PowerVR is about 2 times faster than the Z430.
Now sure, the iPhone has a nicer screen (pixel density) than any Android phone, but the Galaxy S actually has a GPU that's 3 times faster than the iPhone's.

Where do you get all of this mis-information from?
The Nexus and the Evo have practically the same internals.
The Evo doesn't have any different graphics chip than the Nexus. They're both 1 Ghz Snapdragons w/ AMD Z430 GPUs
The iPhone 4 has the same PowerVR SGX 535 GPU as the iPad and iPhone 3GS with a 1GHZ 45nm ARM Cortex A8 CPU (identical CPU to the one in the Samsung Galaxy S).
Yes, the PowerVR is about 2 times faster than the Z430.
Now sure, the iPhone has a nicer screen (pixel density) than any Android phone, but the Galaxy S actually has a GPU that's 3 times faster than the iPhone's.

Okay my bad on the evo.

And when I read the wiki and was hunting for info, everything said the iPhone 4 had the SGX 545, which would have put it well above anything else in a mobile handset. :(

[edit]But it doesn't matter really, I've got a milestone, droid with no custom roms, basically <_< And an A8 running at 1ghz, and an SGX530 ;) It's close.

Okay my bad on the evo.

And when I read the wiki and was hunting for info, everything said the iPhone 4 had the SGX 545, which would have put it well above anything else in a mobile handset. :(

[edit]But it doesn't matter really, I've got a milestone, droid with no custom roms, basically <_< And an A8 running at 1ghz, and an SGX530 ;) It's close.

Umm, no.
The iPhone4 has the SGX535, which is the same chip on the 3GS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series5_.28SGX.29
Apple A4&#8212;SGX535 + VXD375 (Samsung manufactured)

Im not sure about the AMD Z430 GPU from the snapdragon solution though, its something Qualcomm got when they bought the Imageon branch from AMD/ATI a couple years ago.
It should be better than the SGX530 (from Droid/Nexus comparisons), But Im not sure how it stacks against the SGX 535/540 on the iPhone4.

The Droid uses the SGX530 from the OMAP SoC, which is half the pixel crunching power compared to the SGX535/540.

One thing on the Samsung Galaxy, the Hummingbird SoC has the SGX540, which is the same thing compared to SGX535 according to Wikipedia. So Im not sure if 3 times is accurate,

Last edited:
Operating system wise, a smooth operating system is best judged by it's home screen, not the apps. The apps are developer controlled.

Now, android has a default homescreen, it is nice. It is functional, and is stable, and does things.

There are also different homescreens on the market XLeezardx, For example, Check out launcher pro. It is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother in execution than the old (Comparing on my Droid, at 550mhz and at 1ghz overclock, transitions on pages, in to the app menu, and other homescreen functions) AND is more functional (Drag and hold apps over the trashcan to uninstall?! SWEET!)

Android is what you make it. Leaving it stock is just silly ;)

The iOS homescreen is also completely useless. A large list of icons? No duh its smooth, it isn't doing anything. I *love* Android's homescreen and widgets. And +1 on the LauncherPro recommendation, it is *faaast* (I'm on 2.2 w/ 1ghz Droid)

There are also completely different homescreens that don't follow the widget model for Android. Check out SlideScreen for something completely different: http://slidescreenhome.com/

Totally agree. I was pretty shocked when they previewed the iPhone4, and it was still a screen full of App icons :rolleyes: I mean really, this is the 4th generation and still just a mess of icons ?

When I had my iPhone3G when it first came out, the standard weather app with the sunny picture and 73 degree temp, I thought was just a place holder until I inputted my location, then it would show my current weather locally on that little icon, nope :rolleyes: Then I thought ok, that was a 2008 phone, I am sure for 2010, they will revise the weather icon to actually show your real weather, nope :rolleyes:

I just don't see the real appeal to this new iPhone. I mean put iOS4 on a 3GS, and it is not that much different than a full blown iPhone4. Sure the first generation iPhone1 back in 2007, was ground breaking bad ass at the time, it was like from the StarTrek future, and a must have for any tech geek. Today, not so much, now I see clerks at Walmart and fat white trash Moms using an iPhone.

I will keep my rooted Nexus-One, it is much less popular, and sort of a cult phone for 2010. If I was buying a brand new phone today it would most likely be the EVO, or maybe the DROID-2

For me, an iPhone running Android would be THE one to get. The closest to that seems to be the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S. If the S (T-Mobile or AT&T version) doesn't win me over, I'll stick with my Incredible until next summer.

Will someone please figure out a root for the Incredible that's as easy as the one for Evo?

Totally agree. I was pretty shocked when they previewed the iPhone4, and it was still a screen full of App icons :rolleyes: I mean really, this is the 4th generation and still just a mess of icons ?
It appears you don't know that iOS 4 supports putting icons into folders to clean up the mess.

I just don't see the real appeal to this new iPhone. I mean put iOS4 on a 3GS, and it is not that much different than a full blown iPhone4.

Keep telling yourself that. I've been using the iPhone 4 for 3 days, upgraded from a 3GS running iOS 4. The iPhone 4 has a much better still and video camera (the 1280x720 30 fps video that it shoots is much better than the previous 640x480), LED flash, the higher res screen is significantly clearer with better black levels, battery life seems to be about 20% better, apps launch significantly faster, the noise canceling second microphone actually works. The speakerphone is quite a bid louder and clearer. The gyroscope might be a gimmick, but we'll see how the developers use it. The one flaw I've found is the much documented signal degradation issue when touching the lower left part of the phone, which is moot when the phone is in a case. Overall I am impressed.

For me, an iPhone running Android would be THE one to get. The closest to that seems to be the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S. If the S (T-Mobile or AT&T version) doesn't win me over, I'll stick with my Incredible until next summer.

Will someone please figure out a root for the Incredible that's as easy as the one for Evo?
QFT... iPhone 4 hardware (except for the signal flaw) on Android would be awesome. Closest thing is the Galaxy S. I want news when it'll come to ATT or Sprint. ATT will be the Captivate, but no word on if rooting it will grant Hotspot access or how the data caps will work with that.

Also, can't believe you're not happy with the Incredible though??? I don't have Verizon, but that looks attractive to me.

What about the Droid X? Seems to be much thinner than the Evo, unfortunate the Evo wasn't at least thinner.

It appears you don't know that iOS 4 supports putting icons into folders to clean up the mess.
Folder icons are still icons. You missed the point.

Last edited:
QFT... iPhone 4 hardware (except for the signal flaw) on Android would be awesome. Closest thing is the Galaxy S. I want news when it'll come to ATT or Sprint. ATT will be the Captivate, but no word on if rooting it will grant Hotspot access or how the data caps will work with that.

If anyone cares for T-mobile, the Samsung Galaxy S will also appear as Samsung Vibrant. I myself am waiting for the Captivate.

this is why the jailbreak community is so strong.. you can get little weather icons that update based on your local weather.. and much more. it's a shame apple doesn't take notes from jb community's efforts because there are a lot of great apps there they could really improve the UI look, feel, and function with without performance or stability issues and taxing battery life.. but that's apple for you.

When I had my iPhone3G when it first came out, the standard weather app with the sunny picture and 73 degree temp, I thought was just a place holder until I inputted my location, then it would show my current weather locally on that little icon, nope :rolleyes: Then I thought ok, that was a 2008 phone, I am sure for 2010, they will revise the weather icon to actually show your real weather, nope :rolleyes:

[snip]

How is the EVO outside during day ? I love my Nexus-One but it has one big issue for me, and it is MAJOR. This screen is fucking useless outside in.the daytime. I mean even with screen set to brightest and hand covering sun it is still almost impossible to see.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I just don't see the real appeal to this new iPhone. I mean put iOS4 on a 3GS, and it is not that much different than a full blown iPhone4. Sure the first generation iPhone1 back in 2007, was ground breaking bad ass at the time, it was like from the StarTrek future, and a must have for any tech geek. Today, not so much, now I see clerks at Walmart and fat white trash Moms using an iPhone.

Honestly, even if the only change was the screen, I'd still be happy with this phone. I cannot go back to the old screen after getting used to the screen on the 4. The pixel density is amazing, and the other characteristic of the IPS LCD makes it easily the best mobile display I've seen. While I felt my cousin's Nexus One had a better screen compared to my 3GS, it doesn't hold a candle to the 4's screen.

The other new things (better main camera, front camera, LED Flash, 720p video recording, 802.11n, improved battery, thinner casing... that's all I can remember for now) just make it a really great phone IMO. Way better than the 3GS (and I did like that phone at the time).

With that said, I am disappointed that the phone doesn't have 64GB, and the antenna issue is a major flaw IMO. I'm hoping they do revise the design slightly... One underrated advantage of buying Apple is that it's really easy to get the phone exchanged under warranty. One of the perks of dealing w/ an American headquartered company I guess.

Why would android on the iphone hardware be the one to get? The screen or on-board flash or case or what? The hardware (physical hardware) is the same as most of the other top of the line phones. The biggest Advantage of what is currently out now is 720p at 30 fps, but the droid x and the Galaxy S I think are 30fps and will be available in the US soon.

While I felt my cousin's Nexus One had a better screen compared to my 3GS, it doesn't hold a candle to the 4's screen.
Go lookup some comparisons.
The N1 is the best display of the major players when it comes to color reproduction. Period. (Now when Samsung's AMOLED hits the market that will change)
The iPhone's is the best resolution, but the color reproduction still isn't as nice.

Why would android on the iphone hardware be the one to get? The screen or on-board flash or case or what? The hardware (physical hardware) is the same as most of the other top of the line phones. The biggest Advantage of what is currently out now is 720p at 30 fps, but the droid x and the Galaxy S I think are 30fps and will be available in the US soon.
Well, the iPhone has the better screen. It's also got the better battery (which could be a function of iOS4 not being as beefy as Android, IDK).

Umm, no.
The iPhone4 has the SGX535, which is the same chip on the 3GS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series5_.28SGX.29

Im not sure about the AMD Z430 GPU from the snapdragon solution though, its something Qualcomm got when they bought the Imageon branch from AMD/ATI a couple years ago.
It should be better than the SGX530 (from Droid/Nexus comparisons), But Im not sure how it stacks against the SGX 535/540 on the iPhone4.

The Droid uses the SGX530 from the OMAP SoC, which is half the pixel crunching power compared to the SGX535/540.

One thing on the Samsung Galaxy, the Hummingbird SoC has the SGX540, which is the same thing compared to SGX535 according to Wikipedia. So Im not sure if 3 times is accurate,
Chill out. I was acknowledging my error. Read it, it's past tense WAS listed as SGX 545 when I looked.

Walking in to an apple thread was a bad idea, even though I own an android, am getting an iPhone 4 as a spare and love symbian I just can't win.

WTF.

:D

Walking in to an apple thread was a bad idea, even though I own an android, am getting an iPhone 4 as a spare and love symbian I just can't win.

As a spare?????? WTF?

After evaluating ATT's prices, I honestly don't know why people stay with them unless they just have to have the iPhone.
For people that just call/text... There's much cheaper alternatives (Sprint).

As a spare?????? WTF?

After evaluating ATT's prices, I honestly don't know why people stay with them unless they just have to have the iPhone.
For people that just call/text... There's much cheaper alternatives (Sprint).

As a spare. I have a plan with telus that is better than anything under 120 bucks (Even your US plans shudder. ) and i pay a lot less than 120 ;)

And my old rogers line is due for an upgrade and my dad won't want the iPhone ;)

So because it's a good deal, it's worth buying?

LOL

I'm sure I could find a few multi million dollar homes right now that are "good deals" for just a million. Doesn't mean I'd want to buy one.

So because it's a good deal, it's worth buying?

LOL

I'm sure I could find a few multi million dollar homes right now that are "good deals" for just a million. Doesn't mean I'd want to buy one.

300 dollars, to replace my aging zune (No equalizer, battery is shit, and I don't use the nearly as much space as I used to for music) and have a killer screen and 720p camera in my pocket is worth it.

I also just bought a t1i because I couldn't pass up the deal, and because I wanted a camera that was better.

Basically what I'm saying is...

Don't buy a milestone for the camera.

300 dollars, to replace my aging zune (No equalizer, battery is shit, and I don't use the nearly as much space as I used to for music) and have a killer screen and 720p camera in my pocket is worth it.

But Android does all that... That's what I'm saying, don't understand the additional purpose when what you've got works?

:rolleyes:
Someone just posted that three posts above yours.

Yay for not reading past the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back