EVGA X58 RAM slot bad

ChrisK15

n00b
Hi, my friend just got his second EVGA X58 board (RMA'd the first one) and the first two RAM slots are malfunctioning. He has 3 2GB RAM sticks. In slots 1-3-5, Windows sees all 6GB but reports that only 4GB is usable, and the BIOS only sees 4GB total. Right now he's using slots 3-5-6, and 2-4-6 will not boot at all. Do you guys know if there's a way to fix this? Thanks

Call them and get an exchange if they are infact faulty, theyll be walk him through something on the phone with his ram to test , possibly a bios fix

also seen that happen when ram in inserted half way and fries the slot, lol

Hi, my friend just got his second EVGA X58 board (RMA'd the first one) and the first two RAM slots are malfunctioning. He has 3 2GB RAM sticks. In slots 1-3-5, Windows sees all 6GB but reports that only 4GB is usable, and the BIOS only sees 4GB total. Right now he's using slots 3-5-6, and 2-4-6 will not boot at all. Do you guys know if there's a way to fix this? Thanks

Has your friend gotten the latest bios version and made sure that he's tried wiggling the ram a bit when its in the slot and then applying some down force once its perfectly perpendicular? Also try reseating the CPU as there could be a missing contact or something.

My friend did try all three RAM sticks in the first slot, and none worked. He's going to try the BIOS update.

I would guess this is a BIOS issue. I doubt it is a physical board problem.

He reseated the CPU and it sees all 6GB now. That's pretty odd. Thanks for the suggestions

He reseated the CPU and it sees all 6GB now. That's pretty odd. Thanks for the suggestions

Yeah, ive run into that problem a few times usually its memory settings and sometimes the CPU needs to be reseated because some of the pins that relate to the memory slots that need to contact the place on the cpu where the IMC communicates arent contacting correctly and it needs to be reseated. ;)

Last edited:
Back