Evga x58 killing memory?

veedubfreak

2[H]4U
Ok i have an evga x58 and i'm now on my 2nd set of memory. It ran for a good 3 months at 4.2ghz, but now i cant get any sort of overclock to stick. I get a blue screen immediately upon windows trying to start. I installed a new set of memory about a week ago and it ran for around 3-4 days fine at its full overclock, and then started doing the same thing. I have run the built in vista memory check but havent gotten around to testing with memtest86 just yet. I'm just curious if anyone else has run into anything like this. The other possibility i'm wondering about is if my chip has just degraded somewhat and might need a voltage bump. Anyone else had issues with their i7 920 overclock becoming unstable after a few months.

When overclocking in many instances, if you bump up the CPU voltage and set the memory voltage to 1.65 there is a GOOD chance that the CPU will start to overvolt the ram to 1.7. And if you run the memory at 1.7 for too long the controller or the memory may fry, or both. I have seen this only happen when people overclock their systems with i920s. I would just try running it at stock volts for a while just to see if you can get any more longevity out of it, because afaik the biggest problem is with the CPU memory controller and the voltages it uses.

Ya, everything runs perfectly fine at stock. But i was even having issues with the built in "dummy overclock" too. I bumped my cpu voltage by .025 up to 1.4v and the overclock is back to working like before. So i have a feeling that the chip is starting to degrade. But meh, 920s are cheap :p While you're here though, is it common for the evga x58 board to overvolt the chip compared to what is in bios? I set it at 1.4v in bios, but cpuz reads it at 1.475. Or is there a setting i'm missing.

Back