EVGA X58 FTW 3 vs ASUS RAMPAGE 3 EXTREME

I have a change to purchase the EVGA board for about $275 and the Asus board for about $300. Which would you choose and why.

For me I choose RE3 as I have 9 sata HD/DVD-rom. I am glad that I made that choice as RE3 o/c my 920 to 4.3g on air stable. It even can do 4.65g superPi 1M with HT on.

Asus r3 rocks, I have been running a 930 at 4.2ghz for over the past month and the board never buckles. Evga is releasing a refresh to their x58 classified series which is comparable with the rampage 3, for $25 extra I would choose the r3 in a heartbeat

great board the re3, but wait until you need a 2nd USB internal header... only has 1.

sucks on a board that is that expensive. Since I have 2 front USB ports which I use and an internal card reader which I use a good deal, it's something I can't believe they left out.

Another vote for Asus Rampage III. They thought of everything and executed it perfectly.

It seems that the EVGA FTW3 motherboard seems to have an extra lan port (dual) and I think it has an extra on board USB port (2 versus 1). From a purely technical stand point it seems like the EVGA board has the upper hand, why do you guys thing the ASUS board is actually better. Everyone just says it's a great board, I know it's great, but is it better than the EVGA alternative?

evga. if you look very closely at the specifications of that other board you will find that it is, in fact, an asus!!!!

It seems that the EVGA FTW3 motherboard seems to have an extra lan port (dual) and I think it has an extra on board USB port (2 versus 1). From a purely technical stand point it seems like the EVGA board has the upper hand, why do you guys thing the ASUS board is actually better. Everyone just says it's a great board, I know it's great, but is it better than the EVGA alternative?

why do you think EVGA is better? same question..

Also, so far from my experience, the only thing that makes EVGA attractive is their customer support, that is about it.

I have used several EVGA x58 board, the issue I was having is hotter MCH temp than average and some BIOS issue. I just can't see how EVGA is better than the others.

well look at it this way, as feature laden as each board is -- what if there is no good customer support for it? I like the re3, but remember not all cases will fit it, and the cpu level-up is practically useless.

I think the RE3 is too expensive and Asus customer support is poo, i only buy EVGA mobos now pretty much. Waiting for the Classified revamp myself

If my second R3E acts like the first one then I may consider trying an FTW3...

I had to re-apply the thermal compound to the nb and sb heatsinks because my IOH temps were hitting 100 C at stock clocks..

Then I flashed to beta BIOS 0704 and the thing would just sit there during post... I'd get the logo and then hit del to get into the bios. It would just sit there after showing my RAM was ok.. I could also hit the hot keys to start EZ Flash and it would show I'd selected them on screen but still just sit there..

I don't know wth happened, but I was not a happy man Saturday.

I understand stuff happens and I get my replacement board tomorrow so we'll see..

I'd rather have one intel NIC then two of the realtek junk ones that pretty much every manufacturer puts on expensive boards these days.

That said the R3E has bad spacing issues around the CPU socket if you use the TRUE / Mega series coolers.

I'd rather have one intel NIC then two of the realtek junk ones that pretty much every manufacturer puts on expensive boards these days.

That said the R3E has bad spacing issues around the CPU socket if you use the TRUE / Mega series coolers.

Do you have an example of the spacing issues?

Last edited:

Spacing won't be an issue for me since I'm using the Corsair H50 cooler, but I am curious about the LAN ports. What are the performance differences between the Intel version and the Realtek one?

I am running Mega on REIII with no problem at all.

Really? Check sig. I have that combo with a push pull config in a FT02, which is a very tight case also. I have plenty of room to plug/unplug cables and my ram doesn't interfer with the fans.

EVGA boards under perform in benchmarks when compared to ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards. You may can get a .1 or .2 higher OC but that does nothing for raw performance. ASUS boards are just more refined. Customer Service experiences vary from person to person. I wouldn't buy something in anticipation to call for help, that's what forums are for.
If you want a stable, high performing motherboard, get the R3E.

Really? Check sig. I have that combo with a push pull config in a FT02, which is a very tight case also. I have plenty of room to plug/unplug cables and my ram doesn't interfer with the fans.

EVGA boards under perform in benchmarks when compared to ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards. You may can get a .1 or .2 higher OC but that does nothing for raw performance. ASUS boards are just more refined. Customer Service experiences vary from person to person. I wouldn't buy something in anticipation to call for help, that's what forums are for.
If you want a stable, high performing motherboard, get the R3E.

The guy in this post: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1514884&page=2

He seemed pretty adamant that the spacing really sucked with the TRUE or any other large cooler. I've also read about dominator dimm's having issues with slot1 if a fan is on the push side.

Again, I don't have the board (almost clicked yes last week but a price match fell through on the processor), but I tried to do quite a bit of reading to see if I could migrate my TRUE over. If others have TRUE's running on the R3E I'd love to see some pics of the clearance.

If my second R3E acts like the first one then I may consider trying an FTW3...

I had to re-apply the thermal compound to the nb and sb heatsinks because my IOH temps were hitting 100 C at stock clocks..

Then I flashed to beta BIOS 0704 and the thing would just sit there during post... I'd get the logo and then hit del to get into the bios. It would just sit there after showing my RAM was ok.. I could also hit the hot keys to start EZ Flash and it would show I'd selected them on screen but still just sit there..

I don't know wth happened, but I was not a happy man Saturday.

I understand stuff happens and I get my replacement board tomorrow so we'll see..

I know this post was a bit off topic but I'd like to report it's all good in the hood with board number 2. Flashed it and all seems to be stable. Thanks to Tiger Direct for getting me a replacement so quick...now if I could just figure out where to send the bad one back to.....

Your first move should be go to Hwbot and research the record holders for each board. ;)

Back