EVGA X58 Classified vs Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme

Markyip1

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of putting together an upgrade to an i7 920 and I've basically narrowed down the motherboard choice to the Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme or the EVGA X58 Classified (the 760 model w/o the nForce chip.) My reasoning for choosing from the above is layout, the number of SATA ports available, the number of rear USB ports available, and that both boards lack the nForce 200 chip. I'm leaning towards the Classified, especially given Dan D's recommendation. However, I'm still finding it difficult to make a final decision. I'm aware that all X58 are about the same as far as performance and OC headroom is concerned.

The Gigabyte looks appealing as it's a bit cheaper, and the included waterblock is nice too (even though I imagine it's more or less useless from a performance standpoint -- and if it's aluminum it's a no go.) The EVGA looks appealing as it has, in my opinion, a better PCI/PCI-E layout (being able to run two double-width video cards plus a PCI sound card is nice.) Also, I do like EVGA's customer support and the well established OC community at the EVGA forums. I've had several EVGA 680i boards in the past -- and while the boards themselves were ultimately failures, the support and community built around them were amazing. On XtremeSystems, a common viewpoint is that the Classified is just in another class of motherboards -- I do agree it's sexy, but what does that really mean?

Basically, I'm wondering what people here think about these boards. Is one better than the other in terms of features available? Is one board's BIOS more mature than the other? How about the PWM system? Is the digital PWM on the EVGA really better than the 12 or 16 phase conventional model on the Gigabyte? Basically I'm sweating the small stuff here, and with recommendations thus far I'd get the EVGA if I'm buying today. However, I would love to hear as much as possible from as many people as possible before I make a decision.

Thanks.

Yeah, I would imagine the water block is of little use since there isn't much to the X58 northbridge anymore. If the block covered the southbridge and mosfets, it would be a different story, but it looks like it's just a heat pipe system. Does anyone know if the water block is aluminum? If so, it would be useless anyway. Maybe the UD5 is the better bet. Still, I'm leaning towards the Classified due to the color scheme and layout. Besides, if I ever get into extreme cooling (very doubtful,) the Classified will be the better bet.

the evga classified, definitely. if you look closely at the specs of the ud5, you will see that it is, in fact, a gigabyte!!

I've had my UD5 since January and I can count on 1 had the number of times my system has crashed. It is a phenomenal board, and is cheaper than both of the ones you listed. Also, if my computer crashed, it was likely due to the power going into the house, not the pc itself.

The Classified, although sexy, is for benchmarkers. The Gigabyte is for people who actually want to use their computer on a day to day basis AND do almost everything the Classified will do.

9/10 ppl who buy a classified don't need one for their kind of clocks, and vanilla guerrilla when was the last time you used a gigabyte board? .....about 5 years ago by the sounds of it.

OP unless you're a LN2/DI'er or the fancy color scheme is worth another £80-100 the GB will do everything an overpriced EVGA will.

Thanks everyone for the responses thus far. Yes, I am aware that the Classified only "really" comes into its own when pushing your cpu with extreme cooling methods, and no, I don't plan on doing that in the near future.

However, to be clear, price is not a factor for me with this upgrade (and compared with my other hobby, most everything in high end computer hardware is rather inexpensive.) If price or value were a consideration, I wouldn't be upgrading at all.

For me, the hardware is the hobby--the joy comes from playing with the coolest, most cutting edge toys. Upgrading the rig is not a means to end in this case, but the end itself. I must say that the Classified does have a bit more hobby-appeal than the Gigabyte. Still, if the Gigabyte is a better board for 24/7 up times (I hear it boots faster) and has better compatibility across a range of PSUs and Sound Cards, then I may be swayed to go with the Gigabyte.

i dont know about that "boots faster" and compatibility stuff. i mean even if it were true, how often do you need to boot up 2 or 3 seconds faster because its extremely important you get on the intarweb asap? but if price is no object, dont dick around, just get the classified. even if price was an object (?) i would recommend one of the less expensive evga boards.

Still, if the Gigabyte is a better board for 24/7 up times (I hear it boots faster) and has better compatibility across a range of PSUs and Sound Cards, then I may be swayed to go with the Gigabyte.

I don't think there's been an EVGA board released w/out some decent compatibility problems, so this one might be a benchers dream but i've been burned on their previous boards and we all remember 680i. Not to mention it's meant to be another hot running board but then it is an EVGA so thats to be expected.

For clocking i7 you're far more likely to be limited by the strength of CPU and/or cooling before your motherboard gives out on BCLK.

GB also have the new A series x58 out soon which has 24 phase power and 6gb/s sata.

I went forward with the Classified. Dont know if that was the right way to go, but I need to have this system up and going in about 3 weeks so couldnt wait any longer. Parts are on the way as I type.

I don't think there's been an EVGA board released w/out some decent compatibility problems, so this one might be a benchers dream but i've been burned on their previous boards and we all remember 680i. Not to mention it's meant to be another hot running board but then it is an EVGA so thats to be expected.

For clocking i7 you're far more likely to be limited by the strength of CPU and/or cooling before your motherboard gives out on BCLK.

GB also have the new A series x58 out soon which has 24 phase power and 6gb/s sata.

Well to be fair the 680i boards were reference designs. EVGA had no input in their design nor did they manufacturer them. I've owned a trio of EVGA boards during the 680i/780i days and while they had their problems, EVGA's exceptional customer support made them the best option for 680i/780i boards.

As for the classified, I doubt it'll run hotter or less stable than any other high quality X58 board. Keep in mind that the 760 model Classified does not have the nForce chip, and without that, there really isn't much on the board to run hot.

I think I've made up my mind to go with the Classified. Sure, I won't be doing LN2 anytime soon, but it's nice to have the option down the road. I prefer the layout of the EVGA to the Gigabyte (as well as the color scheme,) and the community surrounding the board can't be beat. Lastly, the price difference between the two is small, and well worth EVGA's excellent customer support and OC friendly warranty.

I have the Classified, model # 759, the one WITH the NF200 chip (since it was the only one available at the time). I got mine on a Step-up from the plain X58 board.

My Classified has been nothing short of a breeze to use.
Yes, it has more little adjustments to learn about; but I enjoyed the learning experience.
I use water cooling on the CPU and the NB, and I have the CPU chugging along 24/7 at 4.25 GHZ (that's a C0 920-release day chip) and it could go higher if I wanted to tweak some more.

I have not needed any tech support, yet.

The forums at evga are a good place to exchange ideas and I got a couple good tips there. Take a few minutes and read the OC guide for the X58 and the advanced guide for the Classified before you set up the board.

You made a good choice.............I've had a number of Gigabyte boards in the past and they have all been great as well. My last board before the X58 was an X48 Gigabyte that I used for Crossfire X, and it was superb. I still have two Gigabyte 965 DS-3 boards running 24/7 right now.:D

Thanks for the great discussion everyone. This morning I went over the GWB to the MicroCenter in Paterson, NJ (by far the best MicroCenter I've ever shopped at btw) and picked up a 920 D0 and the EVGA Classified (which they price-matched to NewEgg.) Compared to the Gigabyte EX-58 UD5 and Extreme, is the Classified the most sensible option? Perhaps not. But it's been several years since I've really had fun with a board, and it looks like I'll have lots of fun with this one.

Thanks again.

Good choice.
With proper cooling and a little patience, you should be able to push the 920 to 4.3 or 4.4 GHz.

The NB chip tends to run hot on these with overclocking, at times reaching 80-90C, the only way to monitor the temp is in the BIOS unfortunately.

On the heatsink for the chipset are two small holes near the top on the side facing the PCI-e slots; you can strap a small fan there to move some air.....it helps a little.
I took the thing off before I started and replaced the TIM with Nocture NT-H1 paste. It is non-conductive and doesn't need to cure. I think that helped alot.

Finally, I decided to watercool the thing, that of course, was the answer.:D

Yep. I'm likely going to get the EK block once I find it in stock. I'm also thinking about picking up the HK V 3.0 or the EnzoTech Sapphire, which I hear is an excellent block for 1/2 the price of the HK.

Yep. I'm likely going to get the EK block once I find it in stock. I'm also thinking about picking up the HK V 3.0 or the EnzoTech Sapphire, which I hear is an excellent block for 1/2 the price of the HK.

Honestly, if you want the best...........get the HK 3.0........the minute you pick it up you'll feel the difference...........you should also look at the HK 1366 LT, same block, just an acetal top instead of the copper/stainless of the big boy.

That EK all in one looks pretty slick. I got the BitsPower block, I don't think the VReg MosFets need cooling on this board like they did on the original X58 SLi board. My VReg temp is right at 50C all the time. My vanilla X58 board would go over 75C!:eek:

Here are some pictures of what I have in place:http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100718012&mpage=1&key=&#100718676
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1425581

the evga classified, definitely. if you look closely at the specs of the ud5, you will see that it is, in fact, a gigabyte!!

that's actually a positive for me.

I'd probably go with the Gigabyte, but that's almost entirely because I love their boards.

The Classified's a great board in my opinion. As for the startup time, yes there is a delay of about 20 or so seconds until the signal is detected on my 759. The biggest selling point for me was definitely the EVGA customer support and community and forums.

i also just bought a classified, while i live gigabye boards they look really crappy color wise, and asus... has let me down too many times. i figured if i was going to splurge and but a hole new i7 setup i might as well get parts i want and will enjoy.

who cares if you use it too its full potental. its your money. if your happy with the cost then who cares.

Also just picked up the X58 classified along with the 920 (on sale at Microcenter for $200)

Got the V8 cooler and all new parts (major upgrade this time over just updating single components)

Reading the forums and now the manual can't wait to tweak out the board and play with it.

My first X58 board was the Gigabyte Extreme, it's a solid board, I did a great OC with it (210 BLCK with a C0). But I had a problem since I couldn't make a SLI 16x16 with a PCI card (HT Omega Halo XT) plugged in. I didn't have any kind of problems with it. But I don't give a 10 score because of its colour scheme XD, I mean between this board and the Classified appearence... In addition, I think the Classified has the better OC capability and more stable freqs with low voltage (digital phases).

This is my E759 with the True 120 Black:

p1020791.jpg

p1020792.jpg

Back