EVGA UV Plus+ External USB VGA Adapter

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at PC Perspective have the EVGA UV Plus+ External USB VGA Adapter on the test bench today for a little review action. From what we gathered from the write-up, EVGA’s new USB VGA adapter might just be what the doctor order for many of you out there needing an inexpensive way to expand your desktop.

I tested the UV Plus+ out for several hours on this configuration as well as on another desktop system and did not run into any problems. The secondary display was always correctly recognized and easily configured. The speed of the display was JUST noticeably slower than the primary display attached to the video card but even though I could notice it if I tried, it did not affect my productivity at all.

In case you missed it, we posted a press release this morning that includes a link to EVGA’s UV Plus+ External USB giveaway. The company is giving away 15 units to winners picked at random.

WOW! That thing is TINY in size.. the pictures make it look like the size of a CD Case.. This thing is half the size of a pack of smokes!

VERY Cool device!

Only goes up to 1680x1050 though... What if we have 24 inch monitors?

"The company is giving away 15 units to winners picked at random"

was that supposed to be a link to something, its broke for me :(

if this was ~40 bucks @1680x1050), I'd probably buy it right now
(coming from someone running 3 screens currently with an open dvi port)

Is it possible to use more than one of these at a time? This could get interesting! Let's see....If I have four USB ports on the back of my computer, plus another six via headers, that's a potential of ten additional monitors (assuming no hubs). Add another six adapters in PCIe and PCI slots for another 12 monitors.....you could be driving twenty two monitors! Woohoo! Actually, I'd go for 21, so that I could set them up in three rows, seven wide....

I wish he would have given more information about this, as I guess my question would be, can this be used to watch a movie or is it going to lag to much.

I'm curious about this too, considering that I assume, even though this thing isn't pushing to the upper limits of DVI single link res (3.96 Gb/sec) it is still enough to way oversaturate the usb 2.0 bus (480 Mb/sec)

The article says that it uses lossless compression, which means to me that full screen video, and even maybe windowed video, will probably choke the crap out of it.

Wow, I totally wasn't expecting that thing to be able to do full screen video. Yay for tech ignorance.

Sorry, and thanks defaultluser for the link

I believe it uses an displaylink and that it is capable of 1680x1050 and 1600x1200. Also, i do believe that it will support as many monitors as windows allows...

Click here to enter contest page...

Please feel free to ask any questions, i will answer them to the best of my ability.

At this point i believe the limit may be 10 monitors, but the drivers included may surpass that limit set by XP.

My best suggestion for everyone who is considering buying this is not to use it as a primary monitor, you want to use it as a secondary or tertiary monitor to supplement SLi or to expand your desktop in order to run alot of simple programs on it. These will run graphical programs, but will lag a bit at the higher resolutions.

Also, some people may ask if you can connect these to a hub, and the answer in MOST cases is no. Because most hubs dont have enough power to power these devices and they should be plugged directly into the laptop or desktop's USB ports.

...you want to use it as a secondary or tertiary monitor to supplement SLi...

This is so unbelievably awesome. Thank you sir, for letting me finally find a use for the old monitors I have.

Does it have any impact on gaming performance to use this (not gaming on it, but will this reduce FPS noticeably on any game running on the primary display?)

Giving a multi-monitor option to us SLI users...even if it isn't as ideal as native multimonitor...is awesome. I am understanding that correctly?

Is there any technical reason to stop FireWire from being used? It seems like that would be a great idea due to higher bandwidth and lower CPU overhead. :)

Is there any technical reason to stop FireWire from being used? It seems like that would be a great idea due to higher bandwidth and lower CPU overhead. :)

majority of computer users dont even have firewire. i do agree that it would be best because of bandwidth reason. maybe they will release one later on.

This is so unbelievably awesome. Thank you sir, for letting me finally find a use for the old monitors I have.

Does it have any impact on gaming performance to use this (not gaming on it, but will this reduce FPS noticeably on any game running on the primary display?)

Giving a multi-monitor option to us SLI users...even if it isn't as ideal as native multimonitor...is awesome. I am understanding that correctly?

Correct, and no it shouldnt give your gaming any performance difference at all since it runs on its own GPU and runs on the USB channels not PCI. This is not necessarily meant for gaming as much as a secondary monitor to your gaming one. It can do graphics, but it cant handle very much...

Back