EVGA trade up program, your experience...

GIGANTOID

Limp Gawd
Hey, I'm looking for your experiences with the EVGA trade up program> I just bought an 8800gts320supermegaocwtfbbqEdition and am hoping to utilize the tradeup before Jan1.

What have been your experience with this? Timing, pricing etc. Just looking to read more info on the program.

Thanks.

1) Only step-up to cards that are new, or are still near MSRP.

2) Step-up only if you think you need to.

Its the best when something new just comes out and you have a card that is fairly close to the price of that card but has less performance. Then, you get a sweet deal and enjoy the fruits of Stepup. So far ive owned 3 EVGA cards and never used stepup although i had the chance i failed to do so mainly because i couldn't afford it.:( The main thing is that you want to stepup to a card as soon as it comes out so that you dont pay that much of a difference from what its going for at newegg and other places.

Here is my "Almost Stepped Up" experience.

I had my 8800GTX for almost 3 months, so the time was getting low. I happened to notice that the 8800Ultra prices had dropped significantly, down to almost $600. So while I really did not NEED to step up, I thought I might look into it and see how much it would set me back.

I already knew that the MSRP of the 8800Ultra was still going to be a lot more. It turned out to be $700, so not too bad. That would be $140 to step-up from my 8800GTX.

Then I realized the selection of Step Up cards was much more limited than I expected. I figure if I'm gonna step up from my GTX, then I might as well step up to one of the overclocked Ultra cards. But EVGA did not offer any of the overclocked Ultras as part of the Step Up. I could only pick the vanilla Ultra.

Also, I understand RMA and Step-Up are separate things, but I paid a bit extra money for the advanced RMA support that includes cross-shipping. So I was disappointed to see cross-shipping was not possible in anyway or form for Step-Up. That probably killed it for me right there. I don't want to go a week or two without a good video card. Plus the added cost of having to pay for shipping both ways. Too many little things that added up that finally made me say no.

It's a great program in the right situations. And I kinda understand it really wasn't meant for what I was trying to do anyway. So guess I wasn't too bothered, but a little disappointed none-the-less.

they do offer cross shipping if you go through faxing a form to preauthorize your credit card for the cost of the new card, in the event you "forget" to return the old one

the EVGA Step Up program is really great, used it once before, flawless, who else is gonna give you what you paid new for the card you bought 2 months ago and worked up good gaming away and overclocking and swapped cooling on. Yeah, the downside is the card you step up to is at a slightly higher EVAG MSRP than what you could get it at Newegg, but that is easily offset by the original purchase credit you get from them towards it.

Back