EVGA Supernova (NEX 750B) Destroyed My Computer

kinjo

[H]ard|Gawd
For Christmas this year I purchased the EVGA super Nova NEX 750 B for myself as a gift
I received the power supply the day before Christmas and installed it in my system the next day. After carefully installing the power supply, I powered my system on and to my horror immediately saw a small fire erupt in my computer case.

I immediately pulled the plug and opened up my case to survey the damage; the plug going from the power supply to my hard drive was melted as was the connector on my hard drive. Additionally upon putting my old power supply back in, I found that my Motherboard would no longer POST.

I am an experienced system builders and have put together hundreds of computers (It’s actually what I do for a living). I was very meticulous in my installation of this power supply and was careful to ensure that everything was properly installed and grounded. This damage to my computer was solely the fault of my having received a power supply from EVGA that was defective.

The next day (today) I called EVGA’s Customer service number and spoke with a gentleman named James, James informed me that if I wanted I could have the power supply replaced but that EVGA would do nothing to help replace the parts of my computer that their defective power supply had damaged.

I know that defective parts do sometimes get made and shipped and that mistakes do sometimes happen, but I just want to send this message out as a warning that if you, like me receive a product from EVGA which is clearly defective and damages your equipment EVGA will do nothing for you.

It is sad to see a company that I once had a great deal of faith in, sit back and steadfastly refuse to stand by the quality of their products or take responsibility for the consequence of their failures; instead they are more than content to place that burden on to the back of their consumers

So in short feel free to buy EVGA’s power supplys and other products but just know that you do so at your own risk

Pics
photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_1.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Last edited:
Got any pics of how the modular connectors were plugged in?

It looks like you could fit the Sata chain into the CPU2 connector on this PSU, and that would easily cause the damage you have.

Got any pics of how the modular connectors were plugged in?

It looks like you could fit the Sata chain into the CPU2 connector on this PSU, and that would easily cause the damage you have.
I guess it is possible.
120-PB-0750-KR_XL_4_zpsb50e47b7.jpg

120-PB-0750-KR_XL_5_zps7ec8496d.jpg

Really sad to hear a story like this as I look to my right and see a pulsing EVGA emblem. Sometimes I guess building/upgrading a system is a little like getting out on the highway. You are probably going to be just fine, but you never know might go splat. I haven't heard of any PSU manufacturer's that will do this kind of warranty coverage on other components (to be fair) but I imagine there have been or are.

Just checked to make sure here is a pic

photo.jpg

both sata connecter are in the bottom I am assuming from the labeling that the bottom three ports are all intended for sata devices

I have a few of the fully modular 750w golds and they work great.

Maybe I'll start testing PSU's on a crap system before I hook good stuff up to them

I think the Supernova PSU line is one of the worst products ever launched, especially by EVGA. Their 1500+ PSU was on the market for less than 8 months which was then taken off and discontinued. H tested it and it didnt meet the ratings they stated, not even close. I also read a ton of bad reviews on other sites. This is a prime example of a company that uses its brand name to build products made by a sub-par supplier.

I think the Supernova PSU line is one of the worst products ever launched, especially by EVGA. Their 1500+ PSU was on the market for less than 8 months which was then taken off and discontinued. H tested it and it didnt meet the ratings they stated, not even close. I also read a ton of bad reviews on other sites. This is a prime example of a company that uses its brand name to build products made by a sub-par supplier.

It's unfortunate that this particular PSU was faulty, but I don't think you can say the entire line is terrible. The more recent G2 and P2 models built by Super Flower are quite nice and can be reasonably priced when on sale.

If the OP hasn't yet posted on the EVGA forums, I would recommend he do so. I doubt they'll help him out beyond an RMA, but at least more of their employees are likely to see it.

I bought the same PSU on Boxing Day, returned it today because if I plugged in the PCI-E power cables on +12V2 the computer would restart when the video card (R9 290) was under load. If I plugged in the PCI-E power cables on +12V3 it would work. Darn thing has 4 rails, exchanged it for a Thermaltake TR2W 700W single-rail, no issues at all.

Since you still have a working power supply, measure the output voltages.

If they are not to spec, sue them. Most likely not cost effective.

EVGA needs to go the way of BFG.

If not for Nv being strict on their GPU quality (what can and can't be done), EVGA would have been finished long ago for their bad PSUs, Motherboards and gimmick accessories.

Goddamn. Worst case scenario. Loads of sympathy for you, kinjo. I bought two GTX 780 SC ACX (the freaking warbling noise at certain RPMs) and soon realized that EVGA is a really strange company when you start saying negative things. The fanboys and mods on their forums are really ridiculous -- like they can't stand someone saying they don't recommend EVGA. There was even a thread here on their motherboard here that I can't find any longer soon after I posted a negative review from Anandtech.

Edit: Lol, I forgot to mention my experience with the EVGA P67 SLI Micro. It was such garbage that once I got a new board I took that board outside and smashed the living crap out of it.

Had to edit a ton since I'm partly sick and partly getting upset over EVGA's nuttiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
EVGA needs to go the way of BFG.

If not for Nv being strict on their GPU quality (what can and can't be done), EVGA would have been finished long ago for their bad PSUs, Motherboards and gimmick accessories.

A little over the top in my opinion.

The X58 Classified series were some of the best X58 boards made. The current X79 Dark is also a very very solid board, probably 2nd to Asus Rampage IV Black.

The time between the 2 was for sure a dark period, but was to be expected after the huge talent loss they saw with Shamino going over to Asus. They've slowly rebuilt the team and we are just now starting to see the benefits.

Shitty to see the story here, but lets face it, defective products make it out the door for ALL component companies.

A little over the top in my opinion.

The X58 Classified series were some of the best X58 boards made. The current X79 Dark is also a very very solid board, probably 2nd to Asus Rampage IV Black.

The time between the 2 was for sure a dark period, but was to be expected after the huge talent loss they saw with Shamino going over to Asus. They've slowly rebuilt the team and we are just now starting to see the benefits.

Shitty to see the story here, but lets face it, defective products make it out the door for ALL component companies.

The X79 Dark was a recent release. Let's see how much support it receives this year.

Evga needs to stick to gpus/mobos everything else they offer has always been a disappointment or sub par...

Back