EVGA step up program

Ya i was just wondering wats the point of this program since u end up paying the difference which according to their "retail prices" is insanely high. So like the difference between a 6800gs and a 7800gt is 400-250=150!!! Thats f'in ridiculous. I might as well just buy another 6800gs and have a go at sli. So wat exactly am i missing? :confused:

yeah bro im in the same dilemma...i was gonna take 2 6600GT's and step them up to a 7800GT...after seeing that evga wants over 400+(thats about 130 over the lowest on newegg.com).. i was like aint happening...im gonna settle for a pair of 7600GT's as they provide pretty good benchies...

i just wish evga would say when there getting there first bunch in...

What did you expect? To buy one midrange videocard and have free upgrades for life? eVga loses money for each step up most of the time, so the way I see it, they are doing you a favor.

And if you paid $250 for your GS, step it up to a 7900GT for $299 which shoul dbe a difference of around ~$50.

So EVGA has a step up program?

If i buy 7900GTX today for $500 and in 6 months months a new card comes that costs $700 and i want to get that....all i have to do is give them back my 7900gtx + $200 and i will get that new card??

Starfox said:
What did you expect? To buy one midrange videocard and have free upgrades for life? eVga loses money for each step up most of the time, so the way I see it, they are doing you a favor.

And if you paid $250 for your GS, step it up to a 7900GT for $299 which shoul dbe a difference of around ~$50.
Yea, he is right. WTF do you guys expect? You still get a killer deal. Go try to get retail price for you cards somewhere else if you think eVga is ripping you off.

Dr.Makavelli said:
So EVGA has a step up program?

If i buy 7900GTX today for $500 and in 6 months months a new card comes that costs $700 and i want to get that....all i have to do is give them back my 7900gtx + $200 and i will get that new card??

Yes, basically, but not 6 months, 90 days. That is the kicker ;)

Starfox said:

whoa whoa whoa... :eek: Wat r u talking about? 50 dollar difference?! if thats true i'm so gonna go for it

CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS!

The 7900GT (256-P2-N563-AX) is listed for $299.99 on newegg. That is very close to what eVGA was advertising too, although their prices on the step-up program are down right now (says to call in for pricing). If you have time left in your 90 day period you may want to call them to see what their prices are. Otherwise, jump in the queue for the program, you should be able to opt out if they hike the price up too much.

themanwithnoname said:
whoa whoa whoa... :eek: Wat r u talking about? 50 dollar difference?! if thats true i'm so gonna go for it

CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS!

tHeEvILTwIN said:
The 7900GT (256-P2-N563-AX) is listed for $299.99 on newegg. That is very close to what eVGA was advertising too, although their prices on the step-up program are down right now (says to call in for pricing). If you have time left in your 90 day period you may want to call them to see what their prices are. Otherwise, jump in the queue for the program, you should be able to opt out if they hike the price up too much.

I tried calling but they put me on hold for like 15 minutes... :rolleyes:

Wait a minute so if i'm added to the queue and later they bump the price up to 350 do i still HAVE to pay for the difference. Or can i just say uhhh nvm. i'm good. Because my step up program period ends on the 20th or something.

nah i called them as well...when it comes down to it.. u can always cancel, at least thats what the Rep told me

I paid $325 for my eVGA 7800GT C.O, which I will step-up to a 7900GT CO SUPERCLOCK. It will cost me an extra all of $15.

7900GT CO SUPERCLOCK MSRP = $339.

themanwithnoname said:
I tried calling but they put me on hold for like 15 minutes... :rolleyes:

Wait a minute so if i'm added to the queue and later they bump the price up to 350 do i still HAVE to pay for the difference. Or can i just say uhhh nvm. i'm good. Because my step up program period ends on the 20th or something.

You can always opt out of the queue.

Also, if you're on the queue, the 90 days thing is void for aslong as you're in the queue.

alright well in that case i'm definitely gonna join the queue. and i'll probably step up to the nonsuper clocked version of the 7900gt.

Does anyone know how the difference thing works? I paid 208 dollars for my 6800gs but will they minus from their own retail price or mines. Cuz in that case it'll cost like 50 dollars more...

Differences in 7900gt, 7900gt co, 7900gt co superclocked?! So f'in many its ridiculous. Which is best bang for buck. trying to keep the difference under 70

eVGA gives you what you payed from wherever you bought it, in trade in value towards their MSRP on a new card directly from them.

And those of us with the 7800gt/nf41 combos are in luck...eVGA apparently gives the full amount back on that too (ie: ~$360 that I paid) - I could upgrade to the 7900gt for just the cost of shipping (both ways :() & silly CA sales tax.

kush said:
And those of us with the 7800gt/nf41 combos are in luck...eVGA apparently gives the full amount back on that too (ie: ~$360 that I paid) - I could upgrade to the 7900gt for just the cost of shipping (both ways :() & silly CA sales tax.

I think some eVGA executive is kicking himself right now. I doubt free upgrades are what they had in mind when they devised the Step-Up program. LOL.

aldamon said:
I think some eVGA executive is kicking himself right now. I doubt free upgrades are what they had in mind when they devised the Step-Up program. LOL.

Exactly, and it is fucking NUTS that idiots will come here and make threads bitching about it. You give the people a finger, then they will want your arm next and will complain when they don't get it.

themanwithnoname said:
alright well in that case i'm definitely gonna join the queue. and i'll probably step up to the nonsuper clocked version of the 7900gt.

Does anyone know how the difference thing works? I paid 208 dollars for my 6800gs but will they minus from their own retail price or mines. Cuz in that case it'll cost like 50 dollars more...

Differences in 7900gt, 7900gt co, 7900gt co superclocked?! So f'in many its ridiculous. Which is best bang for buck. trying to keep the difference under 70

If you paid $208 for your 6800GS, they will subtract $208 from the MSRP of whatever card you are stepping up to.

A vanilla 7900GT MSRP is $299...

fromage said:
If you paid $208 for your 6800GS, they will subtract $208 from the MSRP of whatever card you are stepping up to.

A vanilla 7900GT MSRP is $299...

Lol nuts i was hoping they'd give me the benefit of the doubt and just use their own MSRP of 250. lol crud.

So what do u guys think. The 100 dollars worth it for the upgrade? I mean seriously now. Will there be a jaw dropping difference?

Or should i just spend the money to buy a gpu block and try oc'in higher.

themanwithnoname said:
Lol nuts i was hoping they'd give me the benefit of the doubt and just use their own MSRP of 250. lol crud.

So what do u guys think. The 100 dollars worth it for the upgrade? I mean seriously now. Will there be a jaw dropping difference?

Or should i just spend the money to buy a gpu block and try oc'in higher.

You will definetely notice a big difference, no doubt about it.

yes its worth it

the 7900gtx 512 egs msrp $499 (now listed at evga)
the 7900gtx 512 superclock msrp *unknown* (updated in 1 week)
the 7900gt vanilla msrp $299 (now listed at evga)
the 7900gt co msrp *unknown* (updated in 1 week)
the 7900gt co superclock msrp *unknown* (updated in 1 week)

Here is my plan:
I have two evga 7800GT cards that were like 309 plus some rebates when I bought them. I will probably bump them up to 7900GT pair. To me it's a $30 dollar upgrade and it will keep me going for another 2 years or so. So, it worth doing I might even opt for GTX's.

Bought my eVGA 7800GT back in January and Im stepping up to the 7900GTX SC.

Going to sell off my BFG 7800GT to make up for what I'll have to end up paying so hopefully I should come close to breaking even.

just wondering. I looked at the specs of a 7900gt and 7900gt co and their clocks are pretty pretty especially memory wise. How much is the difference in price between the co's and the normal 7900gt?

themanwithnoname said:
just wondering. I looked at the specs of a 7900gt and 7900gt co and their clocks are pretty pretty especially memory wise. How much is the difference in price between the co's and the normal 7900gt?

Theyre pretty pretty ?

they are pretty much the same

a guy on EVGA's forums said he got a 7900GT CO that was clocked 450/1310 or whatever stock base 7900GT clocks are

he called EVGA's tech support, they said oops, we forgot to flash the CO BIOS to it before packaging, so they walked him through the BIOS flash process, and BAM!, his $300 7900GT became a 7900GT CO, just like that

so basically, the BIOS is the only difference, i honestly dont think they are binning as much as some think they are, they are already having to supply large quantities of cards, at some point it is better to just flash the BIOS per order instead of going through all the binning crap

If that were the case i would assume that they would have issues with non-CO cards not being able to take the abuse of having the clocks so high. But then again most people only keep the cards about a year or less and then upgrade.

You can only do the step-up once right? So I couldnt do the step-up from 7800GT SLI to 7900GT SLI right?

but the card you select must be more than the card you are steping up from. for example if you paid $310 for a card you couldnt get the base 7900gt egs as it is only $299. you would have to select the 7900gt co or 7900gt co superclock assuming they will be more than $299 im thinking about $349 for the co and $369 for the superclock

i waiting to decide on doing this. the fan issues ive had with my two 7800 gt se co.
they are stuck on 100%. common problem from what i read at evga forums.

mrbigshot said:
but the card you select must be more than the card you are steping up from. for example if you paid $310 for a card you couldnt get the base 7900gt egs as it is only $299. you would have to select the 7900gt co or 7900gt co superclock assuming they will be more than $299 im thinking about $349 for the co and $369 for the superclock

i dont think so, got anything to back this up?

the step up system accepted my step up from a 7800GT $359.99 credit to a EVGA MSRP $299 7900GT, i dont believe in CO or OC models, because they are only different because of the BIOS used, i have been able to run my base EVGA 7800GT at 530/1260 stock out of the box, basically nearly running 7800GTX levels

codegrinder said:
i waiting to decide on doing this. the fan issues ive had with my two 7800 gt se co.
they are stuck on 100%. common problem from what i read at evga forums.
Codegrinder download Rivatuner, you will be able to run the fan's any speed You like.

Hmm... I got my 7800 GT Jan 27 for 360. My only question is the 7900 that much better then the 7800?

Back