EVGA Step Up or Wait For AMD New GPUs

kage

n00b
Over a month ago I bought the EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 at my local Tiger Direct retail store. A few weeks ago I tried to return it when Nvidia released their new gpus, but Tiger Direct told me that $118 would be deducted from the refund because of the 15% restocking fee and the charge of the free Metro game ($50 value). My question is should I use the EVGA Step Up program to get the GTX 770 or wait for the new AMD GPUs?

Over a month ago I bought the EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 at my local Tiger Direct retail store. A few weeks ago I tried to return it when Nvidia released their new gpus, but Tiger Direct told me that $118 would be deducted from the refund because of the 15% restocking fee and the charge of the free Metro game ($50 value). My question is should I use the EVGA Step Up program to get the GTX 770 or wait for the new AMD GPUs?

Y would you want a 770 ?. A 670 ftw is likely just as fast. I had 2 that clocked to 1202+ while gaming. If you over clock the memory a bit it will be on par with a 770. All a 770 is is a 680 over clocked. Not worth the stepup hassle unless u get a 780. But I suppose a 770 will cost you basically nothing with evga STEPUP and the 770 will hold resale value longer it might be worth it. I'd still go with 780 tho. Once amd releases something the 770 will be kind of bottom of the pot.

What is the step up time (if any) to get a new 770?

For example I have waited a month to trade in my 680 classy for a 780, and I'm still #270 (originally 350) in the queue....

Probably has to "step up" to keep it going? If not I wouldn't go to a 770 personally it's a bit of a bump (I think) but it's not worth it if you are just looking at performance. The 670 is still a very good card.

How much you have to pay ? If it's around 50 or less it would be worth it imho.

All depends on the price as stated, how much is a 780 step up? That would be a more reasonable deal and the 780 will likely be a powerful card for quite some time now.

All depends on the price as stated, how much is a 780 step up? That would be a more reasonable deal and the 780 will likely be a powerful card for quite some time now.

i agree. check on a step up to 780. i wish i could do that, id do it right now.

780 or buy a cheap used 670 for SLI and forget about it for a year.

You still have two months to think about it.

I would do it; the 770 uses less power and is faster; what's not to like?

That's why I traded my 7800 GT for 7900 GTX and GTX 260-216 for GTX 285 using EVGA Step-up (years ago).

You still have two months to think about it.

I would do it; the 770 uses less power and is faster; what's not to like?

That's why I traded my 7800 GT for 7900 GTX and GTX 260-216 for GTX 285 using EVGA Step-up (years ago).

How does a 770 use less power than a 670. Its the exact same GPU as a 680 with higher clocked GPU and vram. How could it use less power. Plus all I've seen is 8+6pin connector or 8+8. While most 680s and 670s are 6+6 pin. ?

How does a 770 use less power than a 670. Its the exact same GPU as a 680 with higher clocked GPU and vram. How could it use less power. Plus all I've seen is 8+6pin connector or 8+8. While most 680s and 670s are 6+6 pin. ?

I was wondering the same thing, I thought they might have done a die shrink but I'm to lazy to check.

But as others have said, if you can step up to the 780 then that would obviously be worth it. I know how it goes with $$ these days. :mad:

I'm not talking about maximum energy use, since most people have their card(s) idle for most of the time.

The reviews I've seen so far show a ~10W decrease in idle energy use.

Over in the US... it might not.

Where I live it means 20 euro savings in case of 24/7 use, meaning 50 bucks in case of a 2.5 year upgrade cycle. That's something to take into account.

A single kWh costs $0.30 here...

Back