• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

eVGA RMA Thoughts

Apoxi

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
1,343
So I had a GTX 780 SC from eVGA that I sent in for RMA as it was having some serious issues. Fast forward to today and they have updated their tracking on the website showing that they will be replacing my GTX 780 SC with a GTX 970 SC. Is it just me, or am I correct in feeling a little jipped in this situation? The way I see it is that i paid like $600 for my card and I am now getting a card "worth" half as much. I spoke with their customer service about this and they said that the gtx 970 is better than my 780 was and the numbers don't overwhelmingly agree with that. Anybody have any input, advice or thoughts on this? Hell, if an eVGA rep is on the forum it would be great if they could chime in here.

Thank you!
 
I would argue that you're coming out ahead as the 970 you're getting replaced is "worth" more than your 780. You'd have an easier time selling your 970 now vs selling your 780. The only way I would feel jipped is if you had two 780s in SLI and you no longer have that. I know a bunch of ppl who "upgraded" from 780s to 970s just for the power reduction.
 
970 is better in every way...faster, overclocks better, uses much less power, and is currently worth more.
 
I guess what I'm getting at is that my 780 was a top tier card, and then 970 is not which is why I am feeling this way.
 
It's standard practice to replace an old gpu with a newer one of equal performance. Now if you had a 780ti I could see the argument for a 980, but the 970 out performs the 780 in every single game.
 
I'll give you my own experience. I had the galaxy 780 HOF edition, at the time, it was the best 780 on the market and was like 700 shipped. fast forward 2 years and it dies on me. Galax (since galaxy doesn't exist anymore) sent me the HOF 970. My heart wanted a 980 since that was the top tier card at the time but I understand them giving me a card with similar performance.

Long story short, I was happier that they gave me a new 970 that was an easy sale vs. replacing my 780.

I guess that's my question for you, would you be happier if they fixed your 780 or your 970 now? If it's the latter, you came out ahead.
 
I guess what I'm getting at is that my 780 was a top tier card, and then 970 is not which is why I am feeling this way.

Did you really think a company would replace your 2.5 year old card with a "top tier" card now? :rolleyes: Going by your logic I should RMA my 8800 GTX with its lifetime warranty and should be entitled to a 980 Ti now since the 8800 GTX was a "top tier" card worth $700 back in 2006. Companies would be bombarded by users who claim their cards are defective or would purposely fry their cards and claim the cooling wasn't functioning if they provided you with replacements worth as much as you paid initially instead of the cards actual performance.

You got a GTX 970 which I would say is a slight upgrade anyway from a GTX 780. No reason to be complaining here.
 
You got a GTX 970 which I would say is a slight upgrade anyway from a GTX 780. No reason to be complaining here.


A minor upgrade w/ more RAM, OC w/ less heat and power. I'd actually be happy with it.
 
So I had a GTX 780 SC from eVGA that I sent in for RMA as it was having some serious issues. Fast forward to today and they have updated their tracking on the website showing that they will be replacing my GTX 780 SC with a GTX 970 SC. Is it just me, or am I correct in feeling a little jipped in this situation? The way I see it is that i paid like $600 for my card and I am now getting a card "worth" half as much. I spoke with their customer service about this and they said that the gtx 970 is better than my 780 was and the numbers don't overwhelmingly agree with that. Anybody have any input, advice or thoughts on this? Hell, if an eVGA rep is on the forum it would be great if they could chime in here.

Thank you!

Wtf... Entitled much? I'm flabbergasted that this is even a real thread. Please tell me you are joking, if not you need a cranial enema.
 
I can't believe people actually have an issue with getting a faster RMA replacement :eek: Would you be happier f they pulled a working GTX780 out of the dumpster and sent you that instead?
 
If you actually read the terms of EVGA's RMA service they quite clearly say that if they do not have a replacement card they will give you one of equivalent or better performance. It would be insane to offer one of equivalent value of the price of your card when it was new. The 970 is a better card than the 780 despite it's MSRP being lower. You are sending in a non-working card and getting a better one as a replacement. I don't see any room to bitch about their RMA service.
 
Sounds like the OP is relying very heavily on the price of the card(s), which will skew opinion. The 970 is clearly the superior card in every sense and I'd be tickled pink if I were to RMA a 780 and get a 970 back, provided I was not running a SLI config.
 
Long story short, you win. You're not in SLI - got a newer generation card, better performance. Who cares about the price if you're using it to play games - you still come out ahead.
 
Evga did right by you. You can't reasonably expect to replace a GTX 780 with a GTX 980
 
Back
Top