EVGA RMA replacement a rip off?

Well, I'm not going to bother again with the fan boy who thinks parts never fail unless they are abused, but you are a representative of the company, touting the company line. So I have to respond here.

First, as I've already said, I have no problem with EVGA providing recertified RMAs if they honor the lifetime warranty. It seems a reasonable way to do this. I was surprised at how beaten up the card I got looked, and I'm worried it doesn't have a lot of life left in it. Worried because it looks at this point as if I've been screwed out of the lifetime warranty.

Second, I have never seen "you gotta register within 30 days or loose the lifetime warranty" discussed here. Is it a topic starter? Just hidden somewhere in a thread? In any event, I didn't see it and I was unaware of the policy. I started the first thread because it did surprise me, and I thought others should be aware of it. Now many are.

I have had two related unpleasant experiences with EVGA, that make me regret that I ever jumped from buying Asus, which I never had problems with. So I started threads here, one for each. That's what people do here, share their experiences with hardware vendors. I've also started and/or responded to threads about products I was particularly impressed with.

It may seem like a lot of threads to you as EVGA rep because they have gotten a lot of play. But still it's just two threads, one per problem. If you don't like the message, try fixing the problems rather than shooting at the messenger.

My posts here are not emotional, they are blunt. There is a difference. Now, the REACTION to them by some has been emotional, but that's not my problem. You want to apply the "emotional" label in order to trivialize the issue. But when people spend upwards of $500 for your products bailing on the warranty is not a trivial issue.

The facts are that EVGA offers a great sounding "Lifetime Warranty" on the outside of the box, but only inside the box, in small fuzzy print on the box flap, cunningly obscured by the very large print message not to take the card to a retailer if there is a problem - is the gotcha message.

This is clearly a bait and switch type scam. As you also put the warning in the little paper manual (although not at the time of my purchase last April), you probably just get under the wire on a fraud charge. But it is a scam and people should know about it.

People here should also know that EVGA takes the "recertified" concept way, way beyond what I've ever seen or heard of. I've asked if this is a rip off. Some think it is, some don't. I've said that my take is that if EVGA honors the Lifetime Warranty, it should be OK, if they don't then it is indeed a rip off. So I am waiting on response to my query about reinstating my warranty before taking further action on the RMA. It would never have even been mentioned here except it has been a week since I emailed Joe Darwin about it, as I was invited to do. But the lack of response to my email, and not for the first time, has me asking about other people's experience with EVGA.

And it appears that while you do have some very motivated fan boys, there are also quite a few people with similar stories to tell. I don't see them complaining like this about the other video card or motherboard vendors. No doubt about it, EVGA is getting an unsavory reputation. I wish I had known about this before I bought that $560 card. Warranty or no warranty, I would have looked elsewhere.

EVGA could change this all in an instant without even changing their unusual 30 day registration requirement. All they need to do is state on the box, where it advertises the Lifetime Warranty, in the same size and color type so it really can't be missed, that the customer must register within 30 days in order to validate the warranty. And of course they need to start honoring the warranties from those of us who bought the card in good faith thinking we had the warranty. That would be the honest thing to do.

It seems like you wont be unhappy unless EVGA completely changes their policy which i dont think is possible in this case. If you want to get your situation resolved, once again. Please feel contact EVGA management since you apparently cant be pleased through my explanations of our policy and im sorry i couldnt help you.

Things a company is dong to its customer? I fail to see where evga never notified him to register for lifetime warranty, or said he would get a brand new card in return. Companies don't have to send you brand new products when you RMA them.

Hell, I purchased a Corsair PSU and it was basically DOA (worked for a few hours with some random restarts then died completely). I called Corsair and they recommended I send it back to the store for exchange rather than through them because I would likely get a refurbished one in return.

You can't expect a company who warrants products for life to give you a brand new one each time it breaks. They can't afford to do so. They do however have to give you a working one, and sometimes they are damaged in shipping / your computer damages them when used (eg the people that get multiple DOA cards.. its most likely something else killing them).

I wasn't really speaking about this specific case, I just meant in general its people wanting others to see their problems.

Nice job contradicting yourself. First you say he has zero credibility because he's a liar and accuse him of overclocking or misusing the card....THEN turn around and proclaim that you have no proof of what he did or didn't do. :rolleyes:

So, basically you're one of those people that think they're right no matter what despite the fact that you have no clue what happend and also apparently have no clue about electronics. Not to mention that how the card failed is not the subject at hand for the op, it's the condition of the card he received in return.

Let me help you in life here with this statement I post yet again for you.
Take some classes. Get an education, and stop sounding like a moron.

^that right there will get you a lot farther in life than simply assuming you're right no matter what despite not having proof nor a clue.

Yet another brilliant retort from the masters of logic on this forum. I didn't call him a liar for
overclocking (although he is, though I can't prove it) , I called him a liar for implying he got ripped off when in actuality he didn't get ripped-off.

If you were even half the moron you claim me to be, you would have figured that out.

The only fact is:

He got his replacement, hence there is no rip-off. Only his dissatisfaction with a knicked-up used replacement video card.

Getting ripped-off is getting left with nothing. Getting ripped-off is trying to call XYZ tech support and no one answers the phone or returns emails.

Getting ripped-off is paying for something and not receiving it.

That's a far cry from what actually happened in his case. I'm a fan boy of nothing but common sense- something which is lacking on this forum from time to time.

Well, I'm not going to bother again with the fan boy who thinks parts never fail unless they are abused, but you are a representative of the company, touting the company line. So I have to respond here.

First, as I've already said, I have no problem with EVGA providing recertified RMAs if they honor the lifetime warranty. It seems a reasonable way to do this. I was surprised at how beaten up the card I got looked, and I'm worried it doesn't have a lot of life left in it. Worried because it looks at this point as if I've been screwed out of the lifetime warranty.

Second, I have never seen "you gotta register within 30 days or loose the lifetime warranty" discussed here. Is it a topic starter? Just hidden somewhere in a thread? In any event, I didn't see it and I was unaware of the policy. I started the first thread because it did surprise me, and I thought others should be aware of it. Now many are.

I have had two related unpleasant experiences with EVGA, that make me regret that I ever jumped from buying Asus, which I never had problems with. So I started threads here, one for each. That's what people do here, share their experiences with hardware vendors. I've also started and/or responded to threads about products I was particularly impressed with.

It may seem like a lot of threads to you as EVGA rep because they have gotten a lot of play. But still it's just two threads, one per problem. If you don't like the message, try fixing the problems rather than shooting at the messenger.

My posts here are not emotional, they are blunt. There is a difference. Now, the REACTION to them by some has been emotional, but that's not my problem. You want to apply the "emotional" label in order to trivialize the issue. But when people spend upwards of $500 for your products bailing on the warranty is not a trivial issue.

The facts are that EVGA offers a great sounding "Lifetime Warranty" on the outside of the box, but only inside the box, in small fuzzy print on the box flap, cunningly obscured by the very large print message not to take the card to a retailer if there is a problem - is the gotcha message.

This is clearly a bait and switch type scam. As you also put the warning in the little paper manual (although not at the time of my purchase last April), you probably just get under the wire on a fraud charge. But it is a scam and people should know about it.

People here should also know that EVGA takes the "recertified" concept way, way beyond what I've ever seen or heard of. I've asked if this is a rip off. Some think it is, some don't. I've said that my take is that if EVGA honors the Lifetime Warranty, it should be OK, if they don't then it is indeed a rip off. So I am waiting on response to my query about reinstating my warranty before taking further action on the RMA. It would never have even been mentioned here except it has been a week since I emailed Joe Darwin about it, as I was invited to do. But the lack of response to my email, and not for the first time, has me asking about other people's experience with EVGA.

And it appears that while you do have some very motivated fan boys, there are also quite a few people with similar stories to tell. I don't see them complaining like this about the other video card or motherboard vendors. No doubt about it, EVGA is getting an unsavory reputation. I wish I had known about this before I bought that $560 card. Warranty or no warranty, I would have looked elsewhere.

EVGA could change this all in an instant without even changing their unusual 30 day registration requirement. All they need to do is state on the box, where it advertises the Lifetime Warranty, in the same size and color type so it really can't be missed, that the customer must register within 30 days in order to validate the warranty. And of course they need to start honoring the warranties from those of us who bought the card in good faith thinking we had the warranty. That would be the honest thing to do.

Yeah....reading. That's a tough thing to do. I take back all I said. You're right.

How dare they hold you responsible for actually reading the warranty and provided materials when you purchased your 560 dollar product.

Those low-down dirty bastards...

wow, i'm totally wrong

^^^^^
read my post before yours my evga card died and I never overclock anything. it just broke just like the many seagate harddrives that broke for no reason or the infamous capacitor defects in many motherboards. Parts do fail more often than you think. I work in the field and work on hundreds of computers every year that parts just fail.

Yeah....reading. That's a tough thing to do. I take back all I said. You're right.
How dare they hold you responsible for actually reading the warranty and provided materials when you purchased your 560 dollar product.
Those low-down dirty bastards...
lol, I don't think it sank in yet that he's in his current situation due to his own ignorance.

^^^^^
read my post before yours my evga card died and I never overclock anything. it just broke just like the many seagate harddrives that broke for no reason or the infamous capacitor defects in many motherboards. Parts do fail more often than you think. I work in the field and work on hundreds of computers every year that parts just fail.

Hard drives fail all the time...They are actually expected to fail reasonably quickly. I don't have a problem with that. And yes, i've read and heard about the failing capacitors on motherboards, also.

But usually, those are generally known manufacturing nuances with various types of componants. Those things are reported and in some cases expected.

And I might believe that you didn't overclock your card. Perhaps you mishandled it in a way that you didn't think was harmful, but it turned out to be. I really don't know.

The point is....which has ALWAYS been my point, there has been no rip-off in this case.

Instead of purposely sullying the reputation of a company that actually goes out of its way to accommodate warranty requests regardless of how people use their video cards (even if they didn't properly follow the guidelines of the policy), the starter of this thread should be pleased that he received a working replacement.

It's really none of my business, I know. But I guess I made it my business, didn't I?

Evga owes you nothing. You bought their card and failed to follow through and register it. Thats not their fault, they warned you multiple times to do so. You are now saying they are a crappy company for not "doing the right thing" and giving you lifetime warranty even though it was your fault because you never read their instructions.

Also, its not "fuzzy text", its perfectly clear and on a 6" sticker. The image was a bit fuzzy because I just blew it up instead of taking an extra picture of it close up. There was also an insert with the manual that told me to register, I just no longer know where it is and thus can't post that as well.

You need to man up and admit that you are wrong, and you should be begging them to give you a warranty, not demanding it and saying its their fault and they are in the wrong.

Yet another brilliant retort from the masters of logic on this forum. I didn't call him a liar for
overclocking (although he is, though I can't prove it) , I called him a liar for implying he got ripped off when in actuality he didn't get ripped-off.

If you were even half the moron you claim me to be, you would have figured that out.

The only fact is:

He got his replacement, hence there is no rip-off. Only his dissatisfaction with a knicked-up used replacement video card.

Getting ripped-off is getting left with nothing. Getting ripped-off is trying to call XYZ tech support and no one answers the phone or returns emails.

Getting ripped-off is paying for something and not receiving it.

That's a far cry from what actually happened in his case. I'm a fan boy of nothing but common sense- something which is lacking on this forum from time to time.

I am mistaken, you're beyond what any education system can offer help for. I did not say you called him a liar for overclocking. Learn to read please. I said you called him a liar and ACCUSED him of overclocking or misusing the card. Big difference there. Maybe next time I should use smaller sentences and much simpler words. Obviously I'm not the one who's the moron here.

I didn't really get to read every post, but if the card looks bad you should complain. If I paid good money for a nice video card with a lifetime warranty and something went wrong, I do not care if they send me a returned or refurbished card but it better look decent. I mean after all they just sit in your computer if something is scratched up and bad looking it means it has really been abused. Also many people pick cards for looks as well as performance. I recently bought an EVGA card for several reasons but honestly it had nothing over the others XFX BFG and so on. But it had a blue theme to it that would match my case and I expect the inside of my case to look nice because I take care of the parts.

I am mistaken, you're beyond what any education system can offer help for. I did not say you called him a liar for overclocking. Learn to read please. I said you called him a liar and ACCUSED him of overclocking or misusing the card. Big difference there. Maybe next time I should use smaller sentences and much simpler words. Obviously I'm not the one who's the moron here.

That was the basis of your arguement. You were insinuating that, because I called him a liar about being ripped-off, I must be contradicting myself somehow for not having proof that he overclocked?

That's like me saying "I dislike apples, but I like pears". And then you saying, " Well you contradicted yourself, you must dislike pears because you dislike apples."

The two aren't connected. So there can't be a contradiction. A contradiction would be "I like apples, but I dislike all fruit."

You might be able to call me somewhat of a hypocrite if you want to. For making accusations that I can't prove while pointing the finger at someone else for making false accusations about something.

But there is also a difference between making accusations that can't be readily proven and
outright misrepresenting something.

I can't prove he overclocked, but I am I lying? Am I misrepresenting some fact?

I'm making an experienced guess....an accusation, that could indeed very well be true.
In fact, no one on this forum can say with certainty and/or credible authority that it's untrue, including the person I made the accusation against.

But I sure as hell can say, with certainty and credible authority, that it's untrue that this person was "ripped-off".

You got any other beef with me, professor?

wow! this thread went south of the border:D there's only one explanation to why this had happen.. it's because he didn't registered his card within 30 freaking days and now he's whining and bitching. call freaking evga if you think your card is beat up or if you really are unhappy.. it would be nice too if you have any pictures so we know if it's really is beat up.

Hard drives fail all the time...They are actually expected to fail reasonably quickly. I don't have a problem with that. And yes, i've read and heard about the failing capacitors on motherboards, also.

Contradiction. You never stated previously that hard drives were excluded from your definition of "computer parts." You made the false generalization that all computer parts (including hard drives) will not fail if not abused. Here is a quote illustrating just that: "Computer parts don't just break....people break them." Computer parts break all the time (look at all those OEM machines, I highly doubt grandma and grandpa overclock their gateway desktop). It's a fact of life, accept it or GTFO.

But usually, those are generally known manufacturing nuances with various types of componants. Those things are reported and in some cases expected.

There is the fact that of the hundreds of components on a card (ICs, resistors, caps, etc), a single one could have been from a bad batch (which will NOT be a known manufacturing issue, and will NOT be publicized) and that can kill a card (or other component) at any time. It is not at all uncommon.

@cesium666 - don't bother with Ogilvy, he's obviously so full of himself he probably has to have a seperate building just to house his ego. He's also apparently right no matter what and will later change his story to try and prove so. He's not worth it and obviously won't accept the fact that he's wrong. And if you try to show him the idiot he is, he'll try to twist your post around into something it isn't.

This is truly the case of what happens when you argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

There have been many discussions on the warranties of several cards on these forums, including eVGA. If you're not a regular reader of the forums, you may have missed them. While there may not be threads dedicated to the topic, the warranties have been discussed over and over and over.

I don't see a Bait & Switch type scheme going on here. eVGA is obviously trying to make it very clear what their policy is on their cards. It looks like the only thing that will make you happy is if eVGA changes their policy and that's just not going to happen, at least not right now. I hope you'll try to contact eVGA's management as the rep above has asked you to. If you can prove you bought the card with an invoice or receipt, I don't see why they wouldn't give you the lifetime warranty since you had issues registering.

Contradiction. You never stated previously that hard drives were excluded from your definition of "computer parts." You made the false generalization that all computer parts (including hard drives) will not fail if not abused. Here is a quote illustrating just that: "Computer parts don't just break....people break them." Computer parts break all the time (look at all those OEM machines, I highly doubt grandma and grandpa overclock their gateway desktop). It's a fact of life, accept it or GTFO.

There is the fact that of the hundreds of components on a card (ICs, resistors, caps, etc), a single one could have been from a bad batch (which will NOT be a known manufacturing issue, and will NOT be publicized) and that can kill a card (or other component) at any time. It is not at all uncommon.

Yes, you're right. I did contradict myself a bit and make generalizations about all computer parts not failing if not misused.

And also you are correct that an unknown defect could have caused his video card to break after less than a year.

Those are only relevant, if you can disprove there was user misuse.

If he had a perfectly working video card, and he was responsible for breaking it, then he has no business saying he was "ripped-off"

If he doesn't properly follow the warranty guidelines and register within 30 days and some defect caused the card to fail, he has no business saying he was ripped-off.

But, If he followed the proper warranty registration guidelines and a defect caused the card to fail, then he most certainly can complain about receiving a used replacement.

Since it is known that he didn't follow the proper warranty registration guideline, and it is not known how the damage was caused, the owner should not be saying he was ripped-off, when technically he wasn't entitled to warranty replacement in the first place.

Those are only relevant, if you can disprove there was user misuse.

If he had a perfectly working video card, and he was responsible for breaking it, then he has no business saying he was "ripped-off"

If he doesn't properly follow the warranty guidelines and register within 30 days and some defect caused the card to fail, he has no business saying he was ripped-off.

But, If he followed the proper warranty registration guidelines and a defect caused the card to fail, then he most certainly can complain about receiving a used replacement.

Since it is known that he didn't follow the proper warranty registration guideline, and it is not known how the damage was caused, the owner should not be saying he was ripped-off, when technically he wasn't entitled to warranty replacement in the first place.

I agree with your points, and it is the OPs fault for not registering within 30 days (seriously, how the hell do you not read all the warning labels).

Only point I do not agree on is that you keep on saying that he was responsible for breaking it. Neither of you two have a way of proving otherwise, but, as in a court of law, he should be innocent until proven guilty.

evga won't allow my card to stepup. they said since i bought it on ebay it is ineligible. yet, when i tried the stepup last time they approved it on this same card (i didn't go through the stepup at that time). i am very disapointed that evga is trying to get out of stepping up my card when they did before. did it have something to do with the fact the card last time was cheaper than the price i paid on the card i had? $340 vs the $270 for the 8800gt at the time? the card i want to stepup too costs more than the card i bought ($367 vs. $340) and i don't mind paying the difference but evga doesn't seem to want the stepup to go through this time. this is a very shady company that is selective in stepup's. i suggest avoiding them at all costs. i know i will from now on.

evga won't allow my card to stepup. they said since i bought it on ebay it is ineligible. yet, when i tried the stepup last time they approved it on this same card (i didn't go through the stepup at that time). i am very disapointed that evga is trying to get out of stepping up my card when they did before. did it have something to do with the fact the card last time was cheaper than the price i paid on the card i had? $340 vs the $270 for the 8800gt at the time? the card i want to stepup too costs more than the card i bought ($367 vs. $340) and i don't mind paying the difference but evga doesn't seem to want the stepup to go through this time. this is a very shady company that is selective in stepup's. i suggest avoiding them at all costs. i know i will from now on.

This is not true, since day 1 the stepup program and warranty clearly stated that you cant buy things off ebay. if you read the terms and conditions its very specific.

# Product eligibility is dependent upon the following restrictions:

* Product must have been purchased through an authorized reseller, retailer, e-tailer, or distributor of EVGA products.
* Products purchased through unauthorized channels, such as E-Bay or other auction sites do not qualify for the Step-up™ program.
* Products acquired through a promotional contest or giveaway are also not qualifed to be used in the Step-up™ program.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2

This is not true, since day 1 the stepup program and warranty clearly stated that you cant buy things off ebay. if you read the terms and conditions its very specific.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
evga previously approved the stepup for my card. it doesn't matter what the policy is in this instance because if it was eligible for stepup before (which it was) there should be no problem this time.

What i dont understand is why EVGA wont allow stepups for those who bought the card in a package from any retailer that assembles computers.

It says only computers assembled by approved computer retailers are allowed stepups. That leaves discriminates against the vast majority of small computer companies out there, and leaves the endusers without this stepup feature.

Is EVGA saying an enduser has more technical knowledge (thus is less likely to break the card) than the computer retailers that do this day in day out?

That my friend has to do with the gray market. People buying and selling installed or otherwise OEM parts. If they don't have a partnership they are gray market and not a certified reseller of said part.

Kind of like buying a high end reciever over the internet. If you need warranty work just never every say you purchased it off of e-bay or you will be hosed.

evga previously approved the stepup for my card. it doesn't matter what the policy is in this instance because if it was eligible for stepup before (which it was) there should be no problem this time.

You slipped through the cracks the first time, and got caught the second. They clearly state that your ability to step-up is removed if you purchased from ebay and other places like it.

What i dont understand is why EVGA wont allow stepups for those who bought the card in a package from any retailer that assembles computers.

It says only computers assembled by approved computer retailers are allowed stepups. That leaves discriminates against the vast majority of small computer companies out there, and leaves the endusers without this stepup feature.

Is EVGA saying an enduser has more technical knowledge (thus is less likely to break the card) than the computer retailers that do this day in day out?

Its their rules. If they don't want to offer step-up to every shop they don't have to. They only do it through companies they trust.

yes it does matter what the policy is, it could have been an internal error or an improperly approved approval, which they would have been responsible for. But if you requested it again and it was not approved then you have no stepup. It was not eligible, it was a mistake.

Actually if they truely wanted to, they could apply to become a trusted system builder. They just need to prove that they are a reputable business that takes care of their customers.

Well, I'm an EVGA customer. I purchased an eVGA 8800GTS back in april - and I did register it in 30 days as the box stated. However, I unfortunately did have a problem stepping up my 8800GTS to a GTX - I spent 2 months (including a face to face with 2 of the reps at quakecon) trying to get all the problems resolved (e-mails not arriving, images/invoices disappearing between correspondence) etc.. but they were willing to give me a step up grant even though I was past the allotted time, which I was grateful for. I ended up not stepping up because frankly, it took so damn long it was a better deal to ebay and buy a GTX, so I decided to just stick with what I had. My 8800 recently went out on my and I paid 12 bucks for the advanced RMA option - it's been two weeks and I should receive it tomorrow - I wish it would be as easy as sending a single e-mail and having a card in the mail the next day, but there seems to be a long drawn out process involving more uploaded invoices, etc.. but nonetheless eventually I should get my card. Overall my experience with eVGA has been they are personable and flexible when I ask them to be.

But in all honesty, the topic of this thread is receiving a used card for RMA - and to be honest with you, I'm a little disappointed about this, and if I receive a used card that's beaten up I'm going to be pretty upset - primarily because I run a water cooled system, and by that the card that I'm turning in has had very little exposure to heat - one of the reasons I run water cooled is so my hardware lasts (unfortunately not in this case). So to receive a weathered air cooled card that might have been crammed with dust and overheating for 6 months as a slight possibility just doesn't rub me right - I was unaware that it's customary to send used equipment back in RMA - I've always received new products back off RMA.

I do have a question though since the eVGA rep has graced us with his presence.

1) what happens if my 8800GTS goes out in 2011? Will I get a a 9800GTX (or whatever) new series card, or do you really plan on having the old stock available?

Well, I'm an EVGA customer. I purchased an eVGA 8800GTS back in april - and I did register it in 30 days as the box stated. However, I unfortunately did have a problem stepping up my 8800GTS to a GTX - I spent 2 months (including a face to face with 2 of the reps at quakecon) trying to get all the problems resolved (e-mails not arriving, images/invoices disappearing between correspondence) etc.. but they were willing to give me a step up grant even though I was past the allotted time, which I was grateful for. I ended up not stepping up because frankly, it took so damn long it was a better deal to ebay and buy a GTX, so I decided to just stick with what I had. My 8800 recently went out on my and I paid 12 bucks for the advanced RMA option - it's been two weeks and I should receive it tomorrow - I wish it would be as easy as sending a single e-mail and having a card in the mail the next day, but there seems to be a long drawn out process involving more uploaded invoices, etc.. but nonetheless eventually I should get my card. Overall my experience with eVGA has been they are personable and flexible when I ask them to be.

But in all honesty, the topic of this thread is receiving a used card for RMA - and to be honest with you, I'm a little disappointed about this, and if I receive a used card that's beaten up I'm going to be pretty upset - primarily because I run a water cooled system, and by that the card that I'm turning in has had very little exposure to heat - one of the reasons I run water cooled is so my hardware lasts (unfortunately not in this case). So to receive a weathered air cooled card that might have been crammed with dust and overheating for 6 months as a slight possibility just doesn't rub me right - I was unaware that it's customary to send used equipment back in RMA - I've always received new products back off RMA.

I do have a question though since the eVGA rep has graced us with his presence.

1) what happens if my 8800GTS goes out in 2011? Will I get a a 9800GTX (or whatever) new series card, or do you really plan on having the old stock available?

You should recieve the exact card that you had RMA'd for but if we do not have them in stock for RMA we will return you one with comprable performance, never downgrading you.

You should recieve the exact card that you had RMA'd for but if we do not have them in stock for RMA we will return you one with comprable performance, never downgrading you.

ah ha! I got you now. I'll RMA it in 2056 and really stick it to you!

Man this for forum is getting to be like FatWallet and and filled with Assholes :)

Quit beating the OP up. If I sent a perfect looking non working card back for RMA and received a beat up looking old card I'd be pissed to!

Also I believe a Lifetime Warranty should be a Lifetime Warranty, having to register in within 30 days is BS. He is the original purchaser and had the original sale receipt, their should not be a problem. All Company's are now putting these types of stupid stipulations in place enabling them not to pay claims.

I bought a BFG 4600gt video card years ago and sold it to a friend maybe 3 years ago. It recently died he call BFG up and he had a new card within a week. Thats how a lifetime warranty should be. I can even see lifetime warranty's to the original purchaser only but having to register so a company's has all your contact info to sell to spam company's is BS!

For all you people bashing the OP do you actually agree with company's putting these stipulations into there warranty policies?

Mac

And I might believe that you didn't overclock your card. Perhaps you mishandled it in a way that you didn't think was harmful, but it turned out to be. I really don't know.

Why would you ASSume I mishandled anything? A little background on me, I have my BS in IT, I have worked in the field since 95, and have been around computers since the commodore 64. I problably have worked on more computers this week than you have your entire life, So why assume I mishandled anything? Obviously at this point your just stretching for jusitifcation for your theories that have no backing. My card had been in the case since it was installed a year ago. only time the case of opened was for dust removal. Evga received the card and sent out a replacement no questions so obviously they didnt find it my error.

Why would you ASSume I mishandled anything? A little background on me, I have my BS in IT, I have worked in the field since 95, and have been around computers since the commodore 64. I problably have worked on more computers this week than you have your entire life, So why assume I mishandled anything? Obviously at this point your just stretching for jusitifcation for your theories that have no backing. My card had been in the case since it was installed a year ago. only time the case of opened was for dust removal. Evga received the card and sent out a replacement no questions so obviously they didnt find it my error.

those kind of holier than thou dicks saturate this forum.

Man this for forum is getting to be like FatWallet and and filled with Assholes :)

Quit beating the OP up. If I sent a perfect looking non working card back for RMA and received a beat up looking old card I'd be pissed to!

Also I believe a Lifetime Warranty should be a Lifetime Warranty, having to register in within 30 days is BS. He is the original purchaser and had the original sale receipt, their should not be a problem. All Company's are now putting these types of stupid stipulations in place enabling them not to pay claims.

I bought a BFG 4600gt video card years ago and sold it to a friend maybe 3 years ago. It recently died he call BFG up and he had a new card within a week. Thats how a lifetime warranty should be. I can even see lifetime warranty's to the original purchaser only but having to register so a company's has all your contact info to sell to spam company's is BS!

For all you people bashing the OP do you actually agree with company's putting these stipulations into there warranty policies?

Mac

How many times are you going to use that identical response?

Half of what you said here isnt even relevant to this thread and dont even make any sense.

How many times are you going to use that identical response?

Half of what you said here isnt even relevant to this thread and dont even make any sense.

Maybe you should actually read the thread. Everything I said pertains to this thread. I did however accidently post it to the BFG thread also (Deleted now)

Mac

This morning I received a phone call from Joe Darwin from EVGA. He apologized for having taken so long to reply to my email, and he told me he would reinstate the Lifetime Warranty on my card. I've posted a retraction of my negative speculation about EVGA and an apology for it on the EVGA "Lifetime Warranty warning thread here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1254170

As I've said a couple times on this thread, the policy of replacing cards with recycled cards is not unreasonable if it is part of the Lifetime Warranty. The arithmetic is pretty simple here:

One year warranty, replace failed card with an old card = ripoff because it is reasonable to assume the card will not have the 3 year of so lifespan you generally expect from video cards.

Lifetime Warranty, replace failed card with an old card = not a ripoff even though it may be a bit of a bummer to get an old scratched card when the failed card you sent in for RMA was in pristine shape (aside from no longer working). This is a very reasonable, even clever, way to allow EVGA to offer the LifeTime warranty and the 90 day upgrade plan. If you get the beaten up looking card, as I did, if it fails within a few months, it is a bit of an inconvenience but small price to pay for a continuing warranty on these expensive cards.

So, as long as EVGA honors the Lifetime Warranty, it is not unreasonable for them to replace it with a recycled card that works.

BTW, the one they send me is seriously ugly...but it's running cooler than the original card, so maybe it's not so bad after all.

The cosmetic defects you keep concentrating on really have no bearing on the lifespan of the card....

Let me point out something here... perhaps you feel it is not applicable. But I do because.. well case windows...

If I am driving my car... and lets say... hummm the right front quarterpanel falls off for no aparrent reason.

I take the car into the dealership and they through some mirical agree it is due to faulty craftmanship so it will be a warranty repair.

The warranty repair by YOUR STANDARDS can be a red quarterpanel with only cosmetic damage because it accomplishes the same goal of being a quarterpanel?

Please explain to me how that makes even one lick of sense.

Now the rebuttal to that is "it isn't the same because this part is not commonly virewable if it were a case door it would make more sense."

I partially agree but then must immediately disagree. If I and doing a computer for lets say a computer show.. like CES or some lan party where I want to show off the inside of my case and how kick butt it is. Basically flash my e-peen as opposed to my car-peen... then the replacement should be as cosmeticly attractive as it is functional.

Back