eVGA RMA = Dud

Heligrin

Limp Gawd
WEll, ive had my new card(RMAed), 7900GTX, which is boinked also. Exhibits the same problems as the other one except the artifacts are a little different. I checked my volts, fine, and i checked my temps, fine again. It crashes in 3dMark 06 still, i have to hard re boot to get the system back up. I am going to ask for another RMA and if that fails, well we will see.

First Card
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7640/glitch9vg.jpg

Second Card RMA
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/9290/glitchonrma21oo.jpg

have u overclocked your RMAed vid card?

just. if you still have the second one. try underclocking the memory, i heard that sloves 7900GTX problems.

Unfortunately once a problem has occured the damage is done. My third 7900GTX responded to downclocked memory, but for only two days.

Fortunately EVGA has their 'Step-Up' program, and for about $120 I was able to upgrade to a 7950 GX2, which uses significantly slower GPU and VRAM speeds (500/600), and performs better than a single GTX.

Clearly there is a manufacturing or design issue with the 7900x cards, or batches of them, or maybe even standard timings are too aggressive. If you look at EVGA's mssg. board, you'll see a lot about this.

Because a single supplier in China sells boards to multiple vendors, it affects other brands too.

Has anyone had any eVGA 7950GX2 cards? I have a 79GT and this one is starting to fuck up ...its a ZZF RMA. Temps are fine so I dont understand why its fucking up. my dual monitor shows discolored pixels now and then on high OC's (its not the monitor..trust me), the screen blinks like if you change the resolution on high OC's, its just really really aggrivating. Im tired of spending all this time and effort on a friggen card that should just plug in and work, especially with a name brand. this is my first eVGA purchase and might be my last. Unfortunately, The only thing keeping me with them is their step up program so I have 315 towards my new card. But has anyone had any luck with the 7950GX2s? or have people had better luck with eVGA RMA cards directly?

You should be able to get as many RMA's from EVGA as you need, unless their policy has changed from the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra days.

I bought a 5900 Ultra on day one and it was borked - froze and stuttered up the wazzoo in games with a known issue caused by a last minute nVidia "performance BIOS" flash/change. Most of the cards with the flash were having issues.

I RMA'd it the first time, without the box it came in (I had ripped it apart when getting the card out in my over-excitement) and the new card had the same issue. EVGA let me experiement with other BIOS's and such, but I ended up RMA'ing that card anyway, got another dud, RMA'd it and again, got a dud, so I RMA'd it once more and finally got a working card. It took a month, but in the end, I was happy until I sold it and got a 9800 Pro :)

DangerIsGo said:
Has anyone had any eVGA 7950GX2 cards? I have a 79GT and this one is starting to fuck up ...its a ZZF RMA. Temps are fine so I dont understand why its fucking up. my dual monitor shows discolored pixels now and then on high OC's (its not the monitor..trust me), the screen blinks like if you change the resolution on high OC's, its just really really aggrivating. Im tired of spending all this time and effort on a friggen card that should just plug in and work, especially with a name brand. this is my first eVGA purchase and might be my last. Unfortunately, The only thing keeping me with them is their step up program so I have 315 towards my new card. But has anyone had any luck with the 7950GX2s? or have people had better luck with eVGA RMA cards directly?

I went with the stepup to the 7950gx2 for the same reason, I'm on my 3rd RMA EVGA 7900gtx...

This is friggin' rediculous. Even the newer RMA's are bad? WTF?

I don't know what kinda card I'm gonna get now.

Brahmzy said:
This is friggin' rediculous. Even the newer RMA's are bad? WTF?

I don't know what kinda card I'm gonna get now.

Shit, there are people who have gone through 6 or 7 cards via the RMA process now. Hopefully soon we will be into the 'next run' of boards from Flextronics that have whatever the bloody issue is FIXED.

I think my RMA replacement that I got a couple weeks ago is starting to fail too. Joy.

I went through 4 and now i am purring like a kitten. I am stepping up to the 7950 just because i want to go quad

I think they came out to fast with the 7900's... I just hope the 7950 had better quality control done before going on market. :(

Currently my RMA from eVGA is working fine at 560/1720.. What I know about the replacement card I have is:

1: CPU voltage is 1.2v 2d and 3d
2: Vmem is 1.9~2.0v I have an analog meter so I can see that the voltage fluctuates on the memory slightly.. This is not abnormal and the swing is actually less than on most vreg. (My 6800gt was worse)
3: Nibitor reports that my memory timings are very tight but when I auto detect it reports my new timings should be much more lax.

I believe that the problem we are seeing stems from the fact that many parts of the cpu operate at a delta frequency that is higher than the actual core speed. on my 7900gt this delta is 20mhz. You cant count on all cores to OC in the same manner. I was told on the phone by an eVGA employee that the cards are untested unless you request an RMA then the cards are tested but this is still subjective.. lets hope you get a good tester :rolleyes:

Still all of this is just speculation on my part, based on the observations of my card. and to me all of this still stinks of faulty hardware somewhere.. most probably the vreg unit.(NOTE the quality of the caps on these cards is also horrible) If you have the skill to change them, you should.

Ihad to chime in. I bought the 7900gtx and had to rma it because of all the issues. I received my new card and the new card was running perfectly. Benchmarked the hell out of it and played Fear and basically did everything i did with the old card. So not all the new cards are bad. Mine was perfect. No hangups no freezing, no nothing. Too bad i did the step up to the 7950. Hopefully i will get it next week.

BallerX - odd, most if not all of the replacement cards sent out were just rebadged N569 Signature cards.. And as such should have 3d @ 1.45v. Although, they have made some comments to people on their baords about 'testing' things, and they may be sending out cards with 'old' volt settings, even if they are ALL getting rebadged N569s. My cheap RatShack DMM shows 1.99v on the memory, same as the old card, no fluctuations - although I haven't probed the vMem spot for more thana few seconds @ a time.

Maybe not all of the 'new' cards are bad, but ALOT of people are in the RMA rut - me personally, only on card #2..But this one is going back too - just haven't gotten around to it..I don't want to be counting myself as one of the 6-7+ time people :( . Also, haven't bothered since I'm leaving town for a week, and I imagine the RMA would get screwy with trying to ship the replacement to an alt address (my sisters place).

With my replacement card, some issues went away like stuttering in most games/3dMarks, but I get massive stuttering in Oblivion (WAY moreso than 1st card), to the point of forcing a reboot. Underclocking to reference speeds does NOTHING on this card, unlike my original - it helped albeit only for a few more minutes @ a time. Since I've now written this card off as bad, I decided to try the 'Detect Optimal' in the NVIDIA CP - nets me ~560/1770ish - more or less same as old card..A bit odd considering the voltage is so much higher (1.45 vs 1.2), and the fact that the label on my card CLEARLY shows N569-AX blacked out w/ a sharpie. Dunno, maybe it's an SS that failed the grade, or another of suspected RMA defects that they tested and deeemed it to be OK..Another thing odd, the top of the cooler when I got it was fairly well scuffed & scratched - much more so than I would expect to have seen with a card that was tested for all of about a day (that I know of) before they shipped it out..Example pic below - a bit hard to make out the marks, but still - taken directly after opening the package, before I installed the card.. I'm also thinking maybe the replacements *are* new, but maybe they're using coolers from RMA'd and/or step-up cards - no way to tell really though.

Another tidbit of info, I ran across a thread over there @ eVGA, that they're readying another batch, but supposidly NO changes other than testing procedures (so far - no OFFICIAL confirmation tho)..If there's really an issue with FAULTY vregs, they likely haven't run out yet :( . I'm sorely regretting stepping up from my 7800 - it may not have been quite as fast as the 7900gt/7800gtx, but at least it ran without issue for me..Also had a VIVO chip, as compared to the 7900s vid-out only..Not that I ever used it of course..At least I haven't had any of the cards literally fry on me, unlike my (less than 6 month) old PNY ti4200 - the whole reason why I left the green camp for red way back when anyway. Part of me hopes eVGA gets in to the bi-GPU red/green camp ala MSI and others..

Also, someone over there posted about Joe Darwin saying they would send out 7800gtx (perhaps KO/ACS3 versions?) to people that wanted them..Again no confirmations though. I don't know I would take one, I mean in a likelyhood it would be a good card (problem wise), but totally defeats the purpose that I changed form my 7800gt for..A shorter, more powerful card that consumes less power..I don't know if I could even fit a 7800gtx in my case without moving my pump.

/me shuts up finally and goes off to play some WoW (the only game NOT giving him problems on the new card)

just to clarify i have an analog multimeter. that showes the spikes.. most of the time the voltage is around 1.99 volts I have seen dips as low as 1.94v while running loops of deep freeze and as high as 2.0v at idle. your digital multimeter is averaging.

also my card does not have the upgraded hsf i had to mod it from the begining with ram sinks and artic silver. so i think this was before the added voltage or vreg components others are getting.

kush said:
OK..Another thing odd, the top of the cooler when I got it was fairly well scuffed & scratched - much more so than I would expect to have seen with a card that was tested for all of about a day (that I know of) before they shipped it out..Example pic below - a bit hard to make out the marks, but still - taken directly after opening the package, before I installed the card.. I'm also thinking maybe the replacements *are* new, but maybe they're using coolers from RMA'd and/or step-up cards - no way to tell really though.

ROOFLES! :D

That 'scuffing and scratching' you're seeing is actually the clear protective film covering the cooler art. Peel it off and reveal a very smooth and shiny cooler. If you look there is actually red print on the film that says something like 'Protective Film - Remove before operating"

Blue Falcon said:
ROOFLES! :D

That 'scuffing and scratching' you're seeing is actually the clear protective film covering the cooler art. Peel it off and reveal a very smooth and shiny cooler. If you look there is actually red print on the film that says something like 'Protective Film - Remove before operating"

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!1!!!

If you couldnt tell that was a protective film....then gawd knows what your tru computer problems are.

LOL. :D :rolleyes:

j/k

but a lot of people may want to make sure they arent overclocking their FSB/processor too high.

Im betting some of these problems arent related to the cards, although mine are.

Back